Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: nminmylife ( )
Date: November 08, 2011 04:35PM

Hi...this board has helped me so much to understand my LDS neighbors here in Idaho. I'm so thankful to figure out why they don't talk to us, ignore us, and are just weird.

So if my husband got transferred to SLC where could we live that isn't as LDS as others? Are there any places we should avoid? A friend said we should put our kids in private school?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: mav ( )
Date: November 08, 2011 04:50PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/08/2011 04:53PM by mav.

Posted by: schweizerkind ( )
Date: November 08, 2011 04:52PM

But the avenues, University, and Sugar House areas are full of good never-mo and exmo folks. 'Burbs definitely to avoid include Sandy, South and West Jordan, Draper.

SLC city schools are pretty good.

Good-luck-we'd-love-to-have-you-ly yrs,

S

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: November 08, 2011 10:07PM

Had to laugh at that mav...guess you like that part a lot.

Posted by: nonmo ( )
Date: November 08, 2011 08:16PM

"'Burbs definitely to avoid include Sandy, South and West Jordan, Draper."

I can't speak for the Jordan(s) but there are parts of Sandy and Draper that have less of an overwhelming mormon influence

Posted by: christieja ( )
Date: November 09, 2011 02:18PM

Many clusters in Holladay, Sandy, and Draper are very diverse. Stay away from my area of Bluffdale. Riverton can also be far too Mormon. Our nonMormon friends live in a very nice Riverton subdivision and there is literally 4 LDS churches within a 1/2 mile area.

Posted by: snb ( )
Date: November 08, 2011 05:24PM

Midvale and Murray aren't too bad anymore. Avoid Bountiful.

Posted by: christieja ( )
Date: November 09, 2011 02:19PM

Avoid all of Davis and Utah counties!!!!

Posted by: oneflewwest ( )
Date: April 22, 2014 11:23AM

I agree, I am in Davis county and there are nothing but Mormons up here.

Posted by: dogblogger ( )
Date: November 08, 2011 05:24PM

Holladay, Millcreek, Cottonwood, Murray, Midvale

Posted by: NeatNewName ( )
Date: November 08, 2011 07:38PM

I don't know; I lived in Canyon Rim and there were 10 LDS families to 1 non-LDS family there.

Posted by: ginger ( )
Date: November 08, 2011 05:56PM

Yeah I'm in Davis County which is the mecca of Moism.

Posted by: mav ( )
Date: November 08, 2011 07:16PM

Posted by: imalive ( )
Date: November 08, 2011 08:36PM

I would tend to think that's all of Utah County.

Date: November 08, 2011 09:29PM

I haven't noticed any webbed feet yet. I'll have to keep an eye out for that.

Posted by: nminmylife ( )
Date: November 08, 2011 06:14PM

Thanks for all the help! If people ever asked about Boise I'd say to move to Boise proper and not Meridian, especially northwest which we call "Little Provo."

Posted by: winnip ( )
Date: November 08, 2011 08:09PM

I had some family in Holladay - side of Mt. Olympus. They loved it. I loved it - was ready to move there! (for the skiing too...)

Posted by: nonmo ( )
Date: November 08, 2011 08:14PM

parts of Draper and Sandy...You gotta do your resesrch.

Tell your realtor that you are looking for a more "diverse" neighborhood.

That's mormonese for.....I don't want to live around a bunch of mormons.

This is what my realtor did....and she is mormon

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: November 08, 2011 08:17PM

I live in Taylorsville and have worked in W. Valley City. There are a lot of inactives where I live. W, Valley City has a lot of minorities who are not Mormon

Posted by: ghost.di ( )
Date: November 08, 2011 08:37PM

I know a few people in west jordan who aren't mormon (some family and family friends), so it just depends on what part you live at. i know one street where there is a mormon church on a block for four blocks in a row... no joke either. the further out you get the less churches there are though.

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: November 08, 2011 10:05PM

Yes, put them in private school. Mine were in Layton and treated terribly as we were not Mormon....then when we left my youngest was in 4th grade. By 17 she allowed a Mormon girl into her life and being very tolerant I was okay with it. By 21 she was engaged and married all in 60 days -TO A MORMON. Life is not the same but I am trying to keep my cool and make my home a welcome spot to crash into when she discovers she joined a cult. She would not listen to me at all in her late teens about the Mormons.

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: November 08, 2011 10:30PM

In most of Salt Lake schools there are a large number of non actives and non Mormons in the schools. In small towns you may have a problem, but I have taught and substituted in a lot of schools in Salt Lake and Granite districts and it is pretty diverse. The majority is Mormon but there are many less actives and plenty of non Mormons. That includes teachers as well as students.I grew up in a diverse small town and religion was NOT an issue there either, but we did have a number of churches. It may be different in small towns or neighborhoods where everyone is Mormon.

Posted by: Starry not signed in ( )
Date: November 08, 2011 10:51PM

We live in Warner Robins GA and work on base. There has been talk of moving the civil service operation up there from Robins AFB.
As an exmo who never lived in Utah it makes my stomach turn flip flops thinking about it. We're 50 something's , no kids, enjoy a social life that includes bars and cultural events. Is that area thick with Mormons?

Posted by: Rose Park Ranger ( )
Date: November 08, 2011 11:22PM

Watch out! Ogden now has people even more annoying than Mormons....Outdoor recreation employees.

Scott Bicycle, QBP, Rossignol etc employees will be riding past you in lycra; bragging about their low body fat, etc.

Seriously, though; Ogden is actually OK. There's some gang activity there that you hear about. But it's almost always aimed at other gang members.

I think Odgen has a brew pub?

Posted by: snb ( )
Date: November 08, 2011 11:47PM

Yeah, and it is pretty tasty there too. The bars in Ogden are pretty fun, especially the wine cellar. Perfect for dates, etc.

Posted by: Mommy ( )
Date: April 22, 2014 03:33AM

How about kaysville? We are planning to buy house there because of there school rate. But i notice the closest Catholic Church is in layton and sly.

Date: November 08, 2011 11:50PM

Yeah I think Ogden is pretty diverse.

Posted by: J. Chan ( )
Date: November 09, 2011 12:59PM

If you mean Salt Lake COUNTY, then the reality is that most of the suburbs, whether nice or not, are going to have a strong LDS presence.

There are a couple of decent Catholic private schools in the Salt Lake Valley - Judge Memorial and Juan Diego. I also know of some Christian private schools but I can't speak to their quality. Keep in mind that most kids at non-faith-based private schools in Utah are likely to be LDS. I know non-LDS families (several of which are lapsed/ex-Catholics who would not consider sending their kids to Judge or Juan Diego) with kids at East, West, Highland and Granite, and they seem to think the diversity at those schools is equal to or greater than what could be expected at the local private schools.

Posted by: Tabula Rasa ( )
Date: November 09, 2011 02:22PM

Park City. LOL

Ron

Posted by: NYCGal ( )
Date: April 22, 2014 04:29AM

Yep, if you can afford it, Park City is the way to go.

Otherwise, as others have said, stick to Sugarhouse, University area, Avenues or downtown.

Avoid Sandy and Taylorsville. Murray is still pretty Mormon, tolerable for adults with no children but hard with kids. Same for Cottowood, numerous places in Holladay and East bench generally.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.