Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Exmogal ( )
Date: November 14, 2010 04:21PM

The daughter of my TBM sibling, who is an uber strict parent and Morgbot, (no swimming on Sundays, no drinking coke etc.) has photos on her FB page of her and her pals partying and drinking in the summer with a bunch of friends/male and female, at her Mom's house, inside and out.... (this gal/my niece still lives at home)

I never thought I'd see such a thing, in all my life! I strongly suspect her Mom (and Dad) knows nothing about this, although her Mom is a FB friend of hers--so if she hasn't clued in, she's terribly naive.

Yet I, the evil exmo aunt/sister, was never allowed to even mention the word coffee when visiting their house....Crazy!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: vhainya ( )
Date: November 14, 2010 04:25PM

Most of my friends with tbm parents growing up were like that. No facebook then though. You'd say anything to the parents and the whole family would shun you.

Date: November 14, 2010 05:39PM

I think that may be the case... that she's hiding these pages from her Mom. There are clearly cans of booze etc. all over the place. I wonder if all our very extensive TBM family are also excluded from these photos... I seem to think she probably hasn't gotten into drinking and that she's mayb ejust a super naive Mo girl whose parents were away and offered to house a party, and then people showed with booze. But maybe not. Maybe she's a partier. One clue is she's the only TBM kid in the family who doesn't have LDS on her FB page.....

The irony of this is that her Mom specifically didn't want her daughter (aka my niece) to have anything to do with me, for fear she'd end up becoming "wild"

Well, have news for my sis. Her kid has made these decisions all on her own!

Posted by: ozpoof ( )
Date: November 14, 2010 06:26PM

Date: November 15, 2010 09:11AM

Would you let her know?

If I did, my niece would never forgive me..

although we haven't actually spoken in over 2 years, simply because I've avoided contact with their family ever since her Mom/my sister told me that I have made wrong choices, bad decisions, etc. by leaving Mormonism.

Should I let it slip out accidentally somehow?

Posted by: vhainya ( )
Date: November 15, 2010 09:16AM

I would probably confront the niece and not the parent. Most likely the parent would just become defensive and angry at you anyway.

Posted by: bignevermo ( )
Date: November 15, 2010 09:26AM

no ...dont rat her out.... the parents will find out soon enough... and then you can be there for her.... no ratting!! that would be very Mo!!! :(

Posted by: jon1 ( )
Date: November 15, 2010 10:29AM

My sister NARCed me out, and it took a while for me to forgive her. I thank her now, to her TBM shagrin, as it helped me exit stage left!

How old is the Niece? If she is 13, then rat her out!

If she is more mature, I would talk to her to make sure she is acting responsibly. Imagine your guilt if she climbed behind the wheel and killed someone. Her parents aren't going to talk to her about this, so maybe you could? If she is on her way out of the Morg she is going to need you, so you may as well start developing the relationship now.

Date: November 15, 2010 10:41AM

She's is not a kid and is in college.I think she's 20.

I actually don't want to rat her out at all, but do wonder if she's aware of potential dangers, etc. (as a TBM, I sure wasn't!)

Posted by: maria ( )
Date: November 15, 2010 11:23AM

I'm sure she's aware of the dangers.

Posted by: bookish ( )
Date: November 15, 2010 11:38AM

You might at least give her a heads up about how bad an idea it is to keep photos like that on facebook. If the photos are only visible to certain people, she might be OK. But I did know a guy in college who was fired from his job because of drinking photos on facebook. It was sort of special circumstances (he was an employee of the dorms and the photos very clearly showed him drinking in a dorm room, where alcohol isn't allowed), but still it's better to be safe than sorry.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.