Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: whine country girl ( )
Date: November 14, 2010 01:47PM

someone I've known since he was a little furry black kitten. He has seen me through some very bad times and he's been part of some very good times.

I've told this story before, but it seems appropriate to repeat it as a sort of requium. One night, while in a state of "oneness with Hendrix" my kitty said to me, "I love you." And I said to him, "Oh, I love you too, B. Your my favorite kitty." And he shook his head and said, "No. I don't love like a cat loves his human. I'm IN love with you."

(pause for effect)

So, I didn't know what to think! My cat had just announced that he was in love with me! I thought it best to nip it in the bud, so to speak. I said "B, I just don't do inter-species dating. I love you as my cat; not as my boyfriend."

He said, "I know. I just wanted you to know."

---------------------------------------------------

Well, my aunt wouldn't let me bring him to SoCal and he's not getting along well at Ann's house. He keeps finding his way into the ceiling and in the middle of the night, he wails this mournful cry and nobody can get any sleep. He can't stand closed doors, he keeps opening them like he's looking for me.
B is not a happy little any kitty anymore. When he's outside, he wants in. When he's inside, he wants out. He's not adjusting.

Ann said in all her years with cats (she'd had up to 14 at a time, now she's down to one. And mine.) she had never seen a cat act like this. She said he was absolutely depressed. Then she said "What'd you do, fuck that cat???"

I was lured down here by my aunt who originally told me I could bring my cat with me. Then she changed her mind and it almost killed me to have to leave him behind with Ann. Gahh! He only needed to behave for the winter, then I'd be back up there with him.

I'll be driving up to Sonoma County tomorrow. Don't know what I'll do without my best friend.

I just don't know what I'm going to do.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: November 14, 2010 01:51PM

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: November 14, 2010 01:52PM

What are you going to do with him?

I wish I was closer. I'd take him in no matter what! I don't even like cats--but I love dogs.

My dog is 13-1/2 and I have to hand feed him half the time. I can tell he goes downhill a little more all the time.

I don't know what I'm going to do without him. He pretty much saved my kids and I after my ex/their dad left and our other dog got killed (that nearly killed me).

Keep us informed. I'm SOOOOOOOOO sorry you are going through this. You've already been through ENOUGH.

Date: November 14, 2010 01:55PM

I'm lower than a snakes' belly in a wagon rut.

Posted by: southbound ( )
Date: November 14, 2010 02:31PM

Sorry to hear that, WCG. If you were closer you could put him on my farm with the other cats. Hope things improve. Take care.

Date: November 14, 2010 03:57PM

I had outfitted the livingroom and kitchen with my old furniture, sofa, chairs, etc. And I left a used sheet and a couple of socks. He didn't care about any of it. This morning, Ann put the cell phone on speaker and set it on the floor while I called his name..... She said he was actually rubbing his face up aganist the cell phone!

Posted by: wcg ( )
Date: November 14, 2010 03:59PM

Posted by: scarecrowfromoz ( )
Date: November 14, 2010 05:08PM

I don't know how they work, but if he learned that he could paw a certain spot and hear your voice, he could hear it whenever he wants.

Posted by: Just Me ( )
Date: November 14, 2010 02:40PM

Try wearing an undershirt (or garmies if you like) for several days and then (without washing) mail them to your aunt to put in your cat's bed. The sense of small can be comforting in times of grief, for humans and their 4 legged friends.

Posted by: Tiff ( )
Date: November 14, 2010 02:56PM

My dog went through a bout of depression when we had to put our older dog down. It was heart breaking.

Animals deal with just as much emotion as we do. Your cat is very sweet. I hope you work things out!

Posted by: atheist&happy:-) ( )
Date: November 14, 2010 03:02PM

You can board him somewhere, or find another temporary home or of course find a way to keep him. EDIT: I thought too, maybe an cat/animal sanctuary would take him temporarily.

When I went to YBU, I actually used to talk (and meow) to my kitty on the phone, and of course she meowed back a lot. My dad put the phone near her, because she missed me so much. Some cats have one person who they are most attached to, and I was her person. She was very upset when I left, and if I had known how it would turn out, I would have brought her with me. Does he have things around that remind him of you or his favorite toys? Some of his issues could be health-related. One of my fur babies had high blood pressure, and would constantly meow throughout the day when she was older. She just needed medication, and then she was her normal self.

Some kitties are very loyal, and need their people. He may need more time to adjust, and something to calm him.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/14/2010 03:20PM by atheist&happy:-).

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: November 14, 2010 03:06PM

Just thinking about what the person above said about putting something with your smell on it in his bed.

If you think about it--I have made quilts for my dogs and they always choose to sleep on quilts that the family has used--not the quilt I make for them. He always picks to lay on clothes or something that smells like us--so it might help.

To atheist&happy above--I was told that those are called velcro "dogs" or cats. My first dog was a velcro dog. He couldn't be more than a few feet from me and whenever I was gone, he was DEPRESSED. He'd lay in the garage waiting for me. My ex had to make him come in the house at night.

Posted by: atheist&happy:-) ( )
Date: November 14, 2010 04:07PM

sneaking from house to house, when I was on my bicycle. Other times I would see her from the next street, standing in the driveway watching, and waiting for me. She would always sleep on my bed, and wake me up with a meow in my face. Now I know it was very typical of her breed. I think it helps to know about breeds, and personality traits, especially if you will be gone a lot or home a lot.

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: November 14, 2010 03:18PM

I'm so sorry...I completely relate to the bond you share with your kitty. My little furbaby is the reason I can deal with moving around so much. I have a very close bond with her and it would break my heart if I had to give her up.
I hope you can find a good solution for the both of you.

Posted by: munchybotaz ( )
Date: November 14, 2010 03:36PM

That would be Bo. The other two, Munchy and Taz, love me like cats love their humans.

You can't remind your aunt that she initially said you could bring him and throw a tantrum? Or did you already try that?

Posted by: bignevermo ( )
Date: November 15, 2010 11:56AM

OH WOW MUNCHY!! NOW I GET YOUR NAME!!
AND wcg!!! I FEEL SO BAD FOR YOUR PROBLEM!! that sucks that it didnt work for your aunt!! :(... i feel your pain! your kitty may just want you and no one else....i dont have solutions... but know that i hope it gets worked out!! most of the people with pets do love them so!! :)

Posted by: angsty ( )
Date: November 14, 2010 03:50PM

I had to give up my very best canine pal a few years ago and I don't think I've ever been so torn up about anything. Thankfully my parents were able to care for her, so we kept her in the family, but she changed after the move. My mother said that every time I'd come visit she'd perk up like she was years younger, and then she'd be depressed and mellow like older dogs are until I came back for the next visit. They loved her dearly and spoiled her rotten, but she just missed us as much as we missed her. After she passed away, we got a smaller dog, but it will never be the same. That dog was my canine soul-mate. I miss her terribly still.

I hope your kitty perks up, and I hope you can get through this grieving process soon-- it really is tough. I'm so sorry you have to go through it.

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: November 14, 2010 04:27PM

where do you live? Maybe you could find a kindhearted person who lives close to you to take him so you could see him often.

Anagrammy

Posted by: wcg ( )
Date: November 14, 2010 05:28PM

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: November 14, 2010 04:43PM

This is horrible.

I hope you and kitty can get a place of your own, soon.

Posted by: maria ( )
Date: November 14, 2010 05:17PM

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: November 14, 2010 08:35PM

I have two old kitties. I consider them by best friends. I'm not kidding.

Posted by: dogzilla ( )
Date: November 15, 2010 11:47AM

I would have told the aunt after she changed her mind that the deal was off. I'm sorry, but if you had a kid and she changed her mind about that, you wouldn't leave your kid behind.

Like kids, when you adopt an animal, you agree implicitly to be responsible for its wellbeing. If you can't afford to live somewhere without your pet, then you can't afford to live there.

I'd suggest rehoming the cat, but obviously it's miserable and wants to be with its "mama." So go get your kitty and tell your aunt she can stuff it. If that's a dealbreaker for her, meaning you can't live there with your cat, then go find another place to live.

I'm particularly offended by the aunt welshing on the deal. She changed the terms of the agreement and now the cat is miserable. I would not have agreed to the new terms, but right there is your opportunity to renegotiate.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.