Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: November 14, 2010 01:14PM

I would really like Steve Benson's take on how this article portrays his grandfather while he was in Eisenhower's cabinet, his interactions with J. Edgar Hoover, and his association with the John Birch Society. I found the article very interesting.

Here's the link:

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/50349153-78/benson-hoover-fbi-society.html.csp

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: munchybotaz ( )
Date: November 14, 2010 01:19PM

Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: November 15, 2010 12:25AM

I have gone through each FBI document (i.e., those made available through the FOI Act). I found them informative but, likewise, do not regard them as all that surprising (I will be posting specifically about the FBI file content later, quoting directly from the file materials themselves).

Some of what my Uncle Reed (ETB's oldest child) and his wife May are noted as matter-of-fact saying in the Trib article in question were matters that ETB told me about directly and personally, either face-to-face or in letters which he wrote to me--particularly as they related to Communism, the John Birch Society and my grandfather's nutty Birch-inspired notion that Eisenhower himself was either a Communist or at least a duped tool of a worldwide Communist conspiracy to destroy America.

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 11/15/2010 01:03AM by steve benson.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: November 15, 2010 03:03AM

The ideal standard for the mormon church is the law of consecration. Basically there is no private ownership of anything and the community shares it all under the authority of a theocracy. They even make you take an oath in the temple that everything you have and will have becomes the property of the church.

So much for freedom of ownership and worship. If the mormons had their way, church membership would be a mandatory law.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.