Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: wonderer ( )
Date: November 14, 2010 12:21PM

There's a faith promoting rumor about some servicemen who were looking for the true church. Together, they created a list of 17 points, from the new testament, which would be sure to be found in Christ's true church.

Their service ended and the men went their separate ways. Well, lo and behold, the years passed and eventually they all met up again and what do you know? They had all found and joined the Mormon church.

They used to tell us this one all the time in Seminary. Ever heard it or a variation of it?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: November 14, 2010 12:51PM

Heard of it. Don't remember the points; let me try.

1. Stand around an altar in white suits and chant.
2. Don't drink Pepsi because of a "hot beverage" rule.
3. Have a "additional testament" that has no doctrine.
4. Have a "living prophet" who can change doctrine at will.
5. Founded by a prophet who went down in a gunfight.
6. Have priests, deacons, and elders who haven't reached puberty.
7. Believe in Kolob while inside the church building but have never heard of it when outside the church building.
8. Wear 19th century long johns with Masonic symbols.
9. Have worked SO hard believing that they are the 'fastest growing church" on earth that even non-member journalists believe it.
10. <gotta get on with the day... somebody else?>

Posted by: DNA ( )
Date: November 14, 2010 12:53PM

Posted by: scarecrowfromoz ( )
Date: November 14, 2010 01:27PM

http://www.mormonwiki.org/17_Points_of_the_True_Church

With links to responses to them at the bottom.

Posted by: rudi ( )
Date: November 14, 2010 01:36PM

"The Seventeen Points of the True Church"

You can also check this excellent article by Richard Packham:

http://home.teleport.com/~packham/17points.htm

Rudi

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: November 14, 2010 09:23PM

11.The true church must teach that God and Jesus have bodies of flesh and bone (Luke 23:36-39; Acts 1:9-11; Heb 1:1-3)

These scriptures say no such thing.

Heb 1:1-3
Hebrews 1
God’s Final Word: His Son
1 In the past God spoke to our ancestors through the prophets at many times and in various ways, 2 but in these last days he has spoken to us by his Son, whom he appointed heir of all things, and through whom also he made the universe. 3 The Son is the radiance of God’s glory and the exact representation of his being, sustaining all things by his powerful word. After he had provided purification for sins, he sat down at the right hand of the Majesty in heaven.
------------

Acts 1:9-11 (New International Version)

9 After he said this, he was taken up before their very eyes, and a cloud hid him from their sight.

10 They were looking intently up into the sky as he was going, when suddenly two men dressed in white stood beside them. 11 “Men of Galilee,” they said, “why do you stand here looking into the sky? This same Jesus, who has been taken from you into heaven, will come back in the same way you have seen him go into heaven.”
----------

Luke 23:36-36
36 The soldiers also came up and mocked him. They offered him wine vinegar 37 and said, “If you are the king of the Jews, save yourself.”

38 There was a written notice above him, which read: THIS IS THE KING OF THE JEWS.

39 One of the criminals who hung there hurled insults at him: “Aren’t you the Messiah? Save yourself and us!”

Posted by: hello ( )
Date: November 14, 2010 11:11PM

IIRC, JoD, the Hebrews verses show that the father has a body, cuz Jesus sat down at his right HAND. I know, snorkle...

The Acts verses are meant to show that Jesus has a body, but no mention of the father.

The Luke verses don't seem on topic at all...

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: November 15, 2010 07:32AM

They might get away with it on the Hebrews verses...

However, some modern translations point out that being on "the right hand" is symbolic of being approved.

Still, the best part of this is that Joseph never taught this until long after teaching the opposite in the BoM, JST,Book of Moses.

Posted by: Phillip ( )
Date: November 15, 2010 12:55AM

I like the stories about ancient lamanite warriors gaurding church buildings... LOL! It was a bishops recount of one of these stories that put the finishing touches on my decision to leave the church.

Posted by: quoth the raven "nevermo" ( )
Date: November 15, 2010 07:53AM

The packman article is very funny! I am writing on a smart phone and can't easily paste text but I wish I could include some of them. I particularly like the ones about not owning property and being able to literally move anything by the power of god (thus saving on FEDEX and UPS bills).

Posted by: Rebeckah ( )
Date: November 15, 2010 09:54AM

Members of the One True Church must be immortal.

Oooh, I hear the theme song to Highlander now. ;)

Posted by: wittyname ( )
Date: November 15, 2010 10:07AM

Posted by: EssexExMo ( )
Date: November 15, 2010 10:08AM

I hadn't heard that one in the UK

[thinks..... if it was as simple as that, there wouldn't be 34,000 christian denoms + millions of non-denom christians all believing slightly different bits and pieces of doctrine]

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.