Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Ollie ( )
Date: November 14, 2010 11:43AM

Irrespective of the typical arguments posed as evidence of Mormonism's untruth, there exists a more basic premise that undermines its credibility as well as that of all other Christianity-based religions. For Mormonism to be true, Christianity must be true, and for Christianity to be true, Judaism must be true. And that is where the problem begins.

Although one can intellectually dismiss the story of Creation in the Book of Genesis as well as the world-wide flood as being allegories designed for simple, unscientific minds, it is an inescapable fact that to be a Jew, Christian, or Mormon, you must accept that the fact that God was a racist. God, the creator of the universe and the many races of humans on the Earth, chose one small Middle-Eastern tribe as his “chosen” people, while systematically ignoring for at least 3000 years the civilizations in Europe, Asia, Africa, North and South America, and Australia. Not only did he choose favorites, but he also brought misery and brutal carnage against other people, including women and children, who had conflicts with his chosen ones.

Does it make sense that a God of such lofty powers and infinite wisdom could be so petty, parochial, mean, and vindictive? Or does it make MUCH, MUCH, MUCH more sense that the Jews invented a religion with God on their side? If the latter’s the case, every Christianity-based religion, including Mormonism, falls without need to point out all of the other overwhelming evidence.

And in the extremely unlikely event that this story IS true, would you really want to spend eternity worshipping a racist God? Not me.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Master C ( )
Date: November 14, 2010 12:07PM

Posted by: jpt ( )
Date: November 14, 2010 12:10PM

Humans have been creating gods for over a couple hundred thousands years. The God du jour, the one of our time and place that seems to have survived and has our attention, has its origins from the Mideastern tribe as you described.

I look at all gods as myths rather than focusing on the current one, and trying to disprove it. But, yeah, the current god is a jerk. Regardless of which Christian denomination reps are trying to save my soul, I tell them what I think of their god.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/14/2010 12:11PM by jpt.

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: November 14, 2010 01:38PM

Aha! The keystone, Judiasim, without which the whole arch of multiple Abrahamic sects collapse.

Well said, Ollie.

Posted by: Ex-CultMember ( )
Date: November 14, 2010 04:15PM

That's been my thoughts exactly. You have to believe in the Old Testament to be Christian or Mormon and I simply can't believe that that the workings of the real god (if there is a god).

I can't believe that God would have a "chosen" race of people.

Posted by: atheist&happy:-) ( )
Date: November 14, 2010 04:59PM

their history, knowledge, culture, gods, battles, rulers, etc. by recording them, and passing them on. Of course a people, and nation are favored by their own gods. The OT & NT were adopted by an empire that helped them endure as a state religion, and the epic survived, because people had no choice, but to accept xstianity. Other cultures had epics that endured, like India, while others did not. The ones that did not endure are considered myth, and the ones that did survive are considered scripture.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_epic

Posted by: eddie ( )
Date: November 14, 2010 10:56PM

It is an excellent example of “Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful.” Seneca

The Bible is a very useful political tool. It is also evident that the Bible was created by humankind for political purposes because it conveniently gave the authors carte blanche to commit numerous crimes and atrocities.

“You can safely assume that you've created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do."

Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: November 15, 2010 12:48AM

Jordan, Murray, and everywhere else. :)

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.