Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: freedomissweet ( )
Date: November 13, 2010 05:05PM

I keep having a mo saying which I hate running through my head and wondered if anyone else has pet hate sayings from their mo days -
'A family that prays together stays together'. Ugh I hate it.
We as a family wasn't much good on this sort of thing but we came out of the grips of moism together and are still together. How happy I am.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: November 13, 2010 05:47PM

My Episcopalian grandmother said it all the time. I prefer to think a family that has a common goal - something to work for together stays together. Escaping Mormonism is a pretty good goal to work for as a family, IMO.

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: November 13, 2010 06:05PM

Maye you were all praying silently for a way to exit Mormonism. Hey, it worked. I have heard that saying often in the real world of religion. Not just a MO saying.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/13/2010 06:06PM by honestone.

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: November 13, 2010 07:19PM

When I read this thread a few minutes ago, I got curious because I--also--grew up with it since it was part of the culture. (In my totally nevermo family, I never heard anyone say this, or any sentiments anything like it. We NEVER "prayed together"--though we did indeed STAY together. ;-0 )

Anyway, when I Googled, this is what I found at http://www.answers.com/topic/the-family-that-prays-together-stays-together):

"The saying was invented by Al Scalpone, a professional commercial writer, and was used as the slogan of the Roman Catholic Family Rosary Crusade by Father Patrick Peyton... The crusade began in 1942 and the slogan was apparently first broadcast on 6 Mar[ch] 1947 during the radio programme FAMILY THEATER OF THE AIR. The Crusade in Britain started in 1952, and the expression now has many (often humorous) variant forms."

I thought this was kind of interesting background.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/13/2010 08:39PM by tevai.

Posted by: Rebeckah ( )
Date: November 13, 2010 08:21PM

Of course, we're WoW addicts and have role playing game nights once a week too. :D

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: November 13, 2010 08:36PM

:-) :-) :-)

WoW definitely counts!!!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/13/2010 08:38PM by tevai.

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: November 13, 2010 08:51PM

Father Peyton promised rosary-prayers their families would stay together and, predictably, the Morg co-opted that idea and morphed it into the promise that the family who had Family Home Evening would stay together in eternity.

I can't believe I bought that schtick.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.