Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: wayfarer ( )
Date: November 13, 2010 04:43PM

SLC in its infinite wisdom has decided to dissolve the Activities Committee.

Technically ward activities will continue, but there will no more be a separate entity planning them. This will be controlled under the auspices of Ward Council who will discuss (re: gossip) the particular needs in the ward and ensure the activities address them--therefore, giving purpose to activites. This also gives the Bishop unparalleled visibility at every level of an activity's development.

Allowances can be made for special temporary committees to organize an event.

Why does this translate to me as never again shall activities be for fun sake? Not that there was much fun left in them before now.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: SilkRose (not logged in0 ( )
Date: November 13, 2010 04:47PM

Posted by: Simone Stigmata ( )
Date: November 13, 2010 06:30PM

I'm sure it came as a direct revelation from the Lord to his beloved profit, yea even Thomas S. Monson.

Ward activities had become so lame already it is hard to imagine them becoming even more lame. But they will surely find a way.

Posted by: Gwylym ( )
Date: November 13, 2010 06:39PM

ward activities cost too much. Taking money away from the general authorities.

Posted by: Laban's Head ( )
Date: November 13, 2010 06:40PM

In most of the wards I have been in, the Activities Committee was often used as a calling for the less active. There would, of course, be a sprinkling of righteous stalwarts, but it seemed to be a place to try and reactivate those wanderers or at least to keep them from jumping ship completely! I know that in the last few years of my membership, when I was 'less-active' that is where they had me. And actually, for the most part I enjoyed it.

My favorite was the Christmas they had the "Night in Bethlehem" and I went as a harlot!!! Good times! When people gave me questioning looks, I simply reminded them that Christ came for everyone.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: November 13, 2010 07:42PM

So--now even ward activities have to have a goal, a purpose?

When I was in YW about 20 years ago--is when they changed to the new personal progress. We were not allowed to have any FUN activities. We had so many rules we had to go by, it was HORRIBLE. The girls complained endlessly. I enjoyed mutual as a teenager. I had good relationships with most of my leaders. They made it impossible for the leaders to grow close to the girls. Every activity had to have a goal, something church oriented--and to top if off, now we had 4 activities a month rather than the 1 activity when I was a teenager. It was a hell of a lot of work and the girls hated it.

They have very much taken any fun there used to be out of teh church. Like Susie talks about a lot--I remember all the ward bazaars and Santa coming to Primary, etc. Now everything has to have a goal, a teaching MOMENT.

Posted by: loveskids ( )
Date: November 13, 2010 10:54PM

I think I have mentioned,on occasion,that I have 9 kids. LOL The oldest is 36 and the youngest is 7. The difference in the activities that my oldest 7 went to and the ones my 2 younger ones used to go to are worlds apart. Especially with the 4 oldest-things used to be so much fun!! And when I think back to my growing up-especially the bazaars and ward dinners and holiday parties.I loved to go to church as a kid. It seemed like everyone was so much more friendly and social too. Not as concerned with looking perfect. That's the way it was up until about 20 years ago. It's sad how much things have changed. How much more controlling the church has become.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: November 13, 2010 08:26PM

That disappeared in of by the 90s when literally everything had to be made a missionary effort. This extended to even funerals. Everything became ponderous and burdensome, the fun sucked out of it, so now what does it matter whether or not an activities committee exists or not?

Posted by: Gwylym ( )
Date: November 13, 2010 09:04PM

Men are that they might have joy. There is no joy without the Lord. The Lord wants you to build up the kingdom. Any frivolity is a waste of time and takes away from building up the Kingdom. Jesus has to think of the bottom line you know.

I can't believe I spewed that crap out.

Posted by: villager ( )
Date: November 13, 2010 09:50PM

I suppose I have been inactive a bit too long.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.