Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: jon1 ( )
Date: November 13, 2010 11:57AM

A post on another thread reminded me of another crappy childhood experience. In the late 1970's, I was blessed with being "allowed" to quit Little League so I could spend my 11 year old summer learning my part "Ernie" in our stakes performance of "Saturday Evening Warrior". What a stupid play that was. I was so bumed to have to quit something I liked, to go hang out at the church, quietly waiting until it was my time to rehearse, then back to waiting another another hour, then a couple more lines.

Funny thing though, even though they charged $10(a lot back then) a head, and we performed it at a local theater that holds 300+, it sold out all 4 times. I think the members bought the tickets for their friends in the name of missionary work.

anyone else here have the misfortune of being involved in this cultfest, or remember if they were incouraged to buy tickets for others?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: wcg ( )
Date: November 13, 2010 12:05PM

Posted by: vhainya ( )
Date: November 13, 2010 12:05PM

Now I hang my head in shame...

Posted by: foundoubt ( )
Date: November 13, 2010 12:33PM

I still have the VCR of it.

Posted by: wonderer ( )
Date: November 13, 2010 12:42PM

At a zone conference during my mission, Elder Condie of the 70 spoke to us and discouraged us (membership generally, not just missionaries) from listening to unauthorized church music, and he specifically mentioned Saturday's Warrior.

Posted by: General in the Pre-Existence ( )
Date: November 13, 2010 01:45PM

The only approved music in our mission was Mormon Tabernacle Choir. And instrumental hymns with the LDS copyright logo on it. Nothing else. Saturday's Warrior would have gotten you a slap on the wrist for sure.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.