Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: ExMorgbot ( )
Date: November 12, 2010 11:08PM

Another post earlier reminded me of a question I wanted to ask. What are the requirements surrounding sexual abstinence prior to a mission? Someone told me a long time ago that virginity (except in certain situations) was actually a requirement for young men and women before they were allowed to serve missions.

I ask because I actually know a young woman currently serving a mission at Temple Square who had an affair with a married man a few months prior to leaving on her mission. The married guy actually got ex'ed, but as far as I know nothing happened to her. Is it because she was getting ready to go on her mission? I never quite figured that one out. I thought they had really strict requirements for all that nonsense?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: vhainya ( )
Date: November 12, 2010 11:35PM

There were probably some details here left out. I find it unusual they'd actually ex him unless there was more to it.

Posted by: phyllis ( )
Date: November 13, 2010 12:11AM

even though they'd had sex. in one case the guy had to interview with one of the GA's, confess and then the GA (Vaughn Featherstone as it happens) said you're ok to go on a mission. in the case of the other friend, i don't know who she had to confess to/ask forgiveness from, but somehow it didn't stop her going on a mission. neither of them was ex'd.

Posted by: ExMorgbot ( )
Date: November 13, 2010 12:25AM

I didn't know him as well as I know her. So I may very well not have all the details on this one. I think there was more to it than just the affair, i'm pretty sure he just like up and left his wife after the affair happened. It seemed to me like he pretty much abandoned his wife and kids. Which last I knew was an ex'able offense. He was re-baptized a few weeks ago actually, so he stuck around.

Posted by: vhainya ( )
Date: November 13, 2010 12:33AM

They'd hold him to a higher standard anyway since he would have been endowed and she probably wasn't at the time of their affair.

Posted by: snowball ( )
Date: November 13, 2010 10:16AM

As is often the case in the LDS church, the "justice" system tends to be applied inconsistently depending on who's in charge.

Personally, I think it's often getting your "micarcle of forgiveness" is transactional in LDS, Inc.

They just make "serious sins" seem like the end of the world in such a way that sincere who really try to "live the gospel" will not commit them and just suffer thinking they are bad. And it takes a lot of spiritual and emotional energy to confess.

On the other hand, there are people who are in the LDS church for family and social reasons (even if they don't admit it to themselves). They need forgiveness to get to life's next stage, so it's kinda like going to Wells Fargo for a loan. The leaders are business people, so they do the CHI checklist and you're forgiven. Praise the Lard!

Once again, Mormonism doesn't account for the differences in people. We are all cookie cutter children of Jellohim.

Posted by: Crathes ( )
Date: November 13, 2010 10:48AM

We are really discussing two things here. For young men, the standard is 3x with the same partner or 3 times with different partners, and you are out (the old three strikes rule).

For young women it is materially the same, BUT, I know of at least one young woman who was widowed very early in her marriage, and then served a full time mission. So, previously married, and certainly not virgin.

Posted by: ExMormonRon ( )
Date: November 13, 2010 11:48AM

Buzzzer!!! Wrong! I was a convert at 22 and lost my viginity at age 15. It required a GA interview, but having had sex multiple times prior to baptism didn't prohibit me serving a mission.

Secondly, back in the day, they sent all missionaries to SLC to the Missionary Center before being sent out to the field or language training (this was pre-MTC). I remember LeGrand Richards coming over and giving the "better dead than disgraced" pitch which covered pre-mission, unrepented sexual activity. He basically said that they better repent NOW if there was any question. As a result, there was a line out the door and around the corner of repentant missionaries.

So, having lost one's proverbial cherry does not prohibit service.

Ron

Posted by: Crathes ( )
Date: November 13, 2010 11:51AM

My bad - Sorry for the mistatement. Post raising the bar, without GA approval, those are the rules. Also, this is obviously post baptism status.

Posted by: goldenrule ( )
Date: November 13, 2010 12:04PM

Exactly. Practically ALL of my friends from high school were not virgins and they still served missions. Not a problem.

But with the new "raising of the bar" standards now, technically NONE of them would qualify to serve a mission today.

And nothing counts before baptism so your sex life between 15-22 is totally irrelevant.

I had a friend who had an abortion in high school and served a mission. But she wasn't baptized until she was 19.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.