Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Jon ( )
Date: November 12, 2010 05:47PM

*disclaimer*
I am overweight so don't sue me for this thread or think that I am being fattist.

Part of the temple recommend interview is about living the Word of Wisdom. And part of that is about eating in moderation.

Hmmm, doesn't that mean fat people shouldn't hold a recommend?

My point being (again before I disappear beneath a swamp of fattist injunctions and law suits) that the only really important part of the interview is tithing. All the other questions the Bishop will find a way of getting you passed.

Well, over to you, gulp......

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: piper ( )
Date: November 12, 2010 06:09PM

IMO There are several reasons.
Mormons tend to cling to principles that can be easily defined and ruled for or against. Always and never. Food is much more difficult to regulate, as they don't know how to do anything "in moderation." They tend to go overboard on the things they are allowed to do, maybe to make up for all the things they are not allowed to do. Like soda and sugar. Caffiene controversy aside, they think nothing of drinking gallons of soda a day. And of course, soda is horrible for you.
If they take the eating "very little meat" literally, then they eat tons of bread and carbs, because veggies tend to be very expensive when you are feeding a family of eight. So they fill up on carbs, which tend to be cheaper.
Then, of course, there is the "eat your feelings" thing. One way for people to avoid their cognitive dissonance and shove their feelings down deep is to stuff them down with food. "Having trouble fitting into the good wife and mother mold? Have another brownie..."
Speaking of wives and mothers, popping out 6 or 8 kids in quick succession will definitely give you a weight problem!

Again, not meant to disrespect people who are overweight(I am, too) but I think there are a lot of parts of Mormonism that lead to eating disorders. If they refused to give temple recommends to people who are overweight, how many bishops, Stake presidents, and apostles would be denied? hahaha

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: November 12, 2010 06:10PM

I often thought in the private corners of my mind that I could be a tithe-paying drug dealer and don't-ask-don't-tell would prevail. Or a tithe-paying prostitute. They don't ask you details about your employment because they don't care where or how you get money--just that you give them their due.

I do not begrudge Mormon fat at all. What else have they got but eating?

Anagrammy

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.