Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: November 12, 2010 05:44PM

This quote from McConkie regarding the Book of Abraham:
. . contains priceless information about the gospel, pre-existence, the nature of Deity, the creation, and priesthood -- information which is not otherwise available in any other revelation now extant. (Mormon Doctrine p.567)

That's right, the Book of Abraham contains information that is nowhere else to be found.

The correct translations of the Facsimiles:

http://www.bookofabraham.com/boamathie/BOA_6.html

http://www.bookofabraham.com/boamathie/BOA_7.html

Here's some more info from Larsons By His Own Hand Upon the Papyrus...

Most of these additional teachings were made public and were embraced by the membership as soon as they were revealed. However, some (and one very special teaching in particular) were of such a sacred nature that they could not be taught publicly, nor could their existence even be acknowledged, as the time had not yet come, their leaders said, when people could understand these new truths. The major new issue was polygamy --How were they to practice something secretly in order to be counted righteous of God, and at the same time be able, in honesty, to deny that they were practicing it? Joseph and many of the brethren were being forced into the position of having to deny publicly that polygamy was being taught and practiced in Nauvoo in order to prevent persecution from their gentile neighbors and dissent from uninitiated fellow Mormons.

When translation of the Book of Abraham began again, the answer to this dilemma became obvious. The Bible described how Abraham, when he first entered Egypt, had deceived the Egyptians into thinking that Sarai, who was very beautiful to look upon, was his sister -- not his wife. He did this because he feared the Egyptians would kill him and take his wife (Genesis 12:11-13). This same incident was described in the papyri when Joseph began translating the second time, but with a significant change: according to the papyri version of the narrative it had actually been the Lord himself who had instructed Abraham to tell the Egyptians that Sarai was his sister (Abraham 2:22-25). >This demonstrated that God sometimes justifies deceit in those instances when a righteous purpose is served.

When the book of Genesis had been corrected by the Prophet the first time in 1830, the text he produced retained the Bible's (and Moses') emphasis that there is only one God. Joseph's 1842 translation of portions of the Book of Abraham, however, distinctly taught the plurality of gods -- a concept of deity Joseph had started teaching a few years earlier, but one which many Saints neither understood nor appreciated.

The Book of Abraham also introduced the first and only scriptural basis for denying the priesthood to Blacks, the Church's official position until 1978. It described Pharaoh and the Egyptians as descendents of Ham and Canaan (the progenitors of the Negro race), and under the curse of Canaan and disqualified from the priesthood (Abraham 1:21-22, 26-27).

...to the followers of Brigham Young -- those who would eventually become the Utah-based Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints -- the value of the Book of Abraham was incalculable. It could never be laid aside without forfeiting some of that Church's most sacred and distinctive doctrines.

As I discovered the Book of Abraham was a fraud in 2007 it was the single most damning evidence against Joseph Smith and it totally blew me away. It has been a downward and outward spiral ever since. Since then, I had seen the history of the problems, the translations and skimmed through Larsons book, but I finally started reading from page one, and this section and its significance had some how escaped me.

Reading the quote by McConkie finally brought that realization that had been hovering just over my shoulder, directly in front of my eyes; that the church's most startling and unique doctrines which are troublesome to most people, come directly from the most obviously false scripture that they have ever conceived.

As the Egyptologists all agree-the BoA does not contain one single word that relates to the papyrus, and to quote McConkie again:
. . contains priceless information about the gospel, pre-existence, the nature of Deity, the creation, and priesthood -- information which is not otherwise available in any other revelation now extant.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: November 12, 2010 05:56PM

I loved the preexistence stuff (except the racist shit).

And that was very much downplayed in my seminary classes along with the "real translation."

Options: ReplyQuote
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.