Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Heathjh ( )
Date: November 12, 2010 11:36AM

A friend posted on FB about that pedophile helpers book getting removed from Amazon. He also made a comment that they are the next group that the left is trying to legalize.

I responded by saying good that the book was getting removed. And asked him of he was likening pediphilla to homosexuality cause they are two different things. And asked him where he gets such an idea?

He responded by asking me if I have heard of the North American Man Boy Love Association? He says they are a group that is trying legalize it.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: November 12, 2010 11:39AM

That isn't to say that anyone else thinks it should be legalized.

Posted by: resipsaloquitur ( )
Date: November 12, 2010 11:39AM

NAMBLA is an actual group, but the group itself is illegal in the US.

Posted by: Heathjh ( )
Date: November 12, 2010 11:47AM

Here is the problem with that. A child is not old enough to legally consent. So therefore you have nothing to worry about. Most pedophiles do not even have a consenting child they are trying to be involved with. I think it's just this group that is trying to be recognized. The left is NOT embracing the idea. Very, very far from it.  

Posted by: helamonster ( )
Date: November 12, 2010 11:49AM

This is just more slander of the Left by the Right. Nothing more or less.

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: November 12, 2010 12:05PM

Posted by: Ex-CultMember ( )
Date: November 12, 2010 12:36PM

The religious right is notorious for using the slippery slope argument on EVERYTHING. It's a fear tactic and a DESPERATE one at that. Sorry, but it fails on this one.

Nambla is a TINY pathetic group that no else supports. They are not going to get anywhere. Most gays are against NAMBLA and obviously most Americans are too. No politician is going to legislate and no judge is going to rule in favor of SEXUAL CHILD ABUSE by adults.

It's just silly to try and make plausible connection between these two.

Posted by: foundoubt ( )
Date: November 12, 2010 12:36PM

"Meet the new boss, same as the old boss." The Who

Posted by: helamonster ( )
Date: November 12, 2010 12:39PM

Except, they DON'T. Prove me wrong.

Posted by: Ex-CultMember ( )
Date: November 12, 2010 03:57PM

I'm sure there has been some slippery slope arguments used by the left on occasion, but just by the political nature of progressives (liberals) and conservatives, the conservatives will be using it more often. They are afraid of change and the unknown. They are trying to PRESERVE (or REVERT) back to how things have been (or been done) Whereas progressives see a problem with how things are and want to find a NEW way to correct it. Something that generally hasn't been done before.

For example if a progressive wants to pass a law to allow gays to be married, the conservatives will say, what's next polygmay, children, animals?

But what would be the the slippery slope argument by the progressives if a law was being pushed to ban gay marriage? Are they going to ban hetero marriage too?

For some reason it just doesn't seem to work the other way around. Please post some slippery slope arguments liberals/progressives have made. I'm sure there are some, I just can't seem to think of any except maybe more censorship and government spying (i.e. Patriot act)

Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: November 12, 2010 01:00PM

How strange that your friend actually believes that there is a chance that pedophilia could be legalized. Is he/she from another planet or something?

Posted by: Nebularry ( )
Date: November 12, 2010 02:16PM

Statistically (http://www.livescience.com/culture/5-Myths-About-Gays-100510-1.html) most pedophiles are heterosexual family members or close friends of the victim's family - not gay strangers lurking around the corner. This, IMO, is one of the most insidious of lies against gays. Are there gay pedophiles? Probably. But by far the vast majority of pedophiles are heterosexual. I know that shatters some tidy prejudices but it's the reality of the whole sad situation.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.