Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Crathes ( )
Date: November 12, 2010 10:48AM

I let our subscription to the Ensign lapse over one year ago. My daughter still gets the New Era, but she tends to not even look at it.

In the past year, my wife has never noted the absense of the Ensign. On the other hand, she did not read it all that much previously.

I am waiting for the next ward subscription drive, if they still do that. Not going to happen. If I need to read the drivel, I can do it for free, on line.

Looks like we are continuing to make progress.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: November 12, 2010 10:59AM

I've told this little true story on here before, but I had an interesting encounter with the ward magazine rep a few years back when I still lived in Orem. I had been in the same ward boundaries for years and years, knew everyone in my subdivision, and had been a very active member up until about 1995. My church magazines had long since expired and I had no intention of EVER renewing them. One day, here comes my neighbor 4 houses down from me...a crazy woman in the ward. She told me my subscription to the Ensign had expired. I told her I knew that. She said she was the magazine representative. I told her I didn't know that (or care). She asked me if I was going to renew the magazine. I told her I wasn't. She asked me why. I told her I didn't want it and didn't care about it. She kind of huffed up, looked me straight in the face and said "Well! You should be spanked!

Posted by: michael ( )
Date: November 12, 2010 11:19AM

Sounds like you should have spanked her (but that's my humble opinion).

Posted by: helamonster ( )
Date: November 12, 2010 11:23AM

Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: November 12, 2010 03:55PM

Posted by: jon1 ( )
Date: November 12, 2010 11:01AM

The "Online" thing sounds like a good excuse, and will make it so they will have to remember, and want to go there to read it. No more reminders, because it is sitting on the coffee table.

Posted by: helamonster ( )
Date: November 12, 2010 11:04AM

Posted by: ExMormonRon ( )
Date: November 12, 2010 11:16AM

Ah, the dreaded Ward Magazine Chairman! Gotta love that! You should have asked her were she was over a year ago when your subscription lapsed. Apparently, she wasn't fulfilling her calling. :)

Ron

Posted by: Simone Stigmata ( )
Date: November 12, 2010 11:35AM

When we were acting like we believed and trying to keep up appearances, DW decided that she would not renew the New Era because our kids had no interest in it. But we renewed the Ensign (even though we didn't read it) for appearances but just conveniently didn't renew the New Era.

Well, the magazine rep called us and asked us to please renew the New Era. We politely said our kids didn't read it so we weren't interested. At the next Ward Council, we were talked about as one of those families with teenagers who didn't take the New Era. The bishop made it known that no family with teenagers was going without the New Era on his watch. WTH???

So they ganged up on us and we renewed the stupid thing. As soon as the bishop prick was changed and we had a less Nazi bishop we dropped it. What a cult.

Posted by: Elise ( )
Date: November 12, 2010 03:53PM

Why does anyone have to renew Ensign/New Era when you can get it for free online? Do they make profit off the subscriptions? So much for non-profit organization.

Either way, isn't it more environmentally conscious to do things digitally instead of wasting paper and resources? My branch (don't worry, I'm quitting soon) is doing the stupid subscription drive. When they approach me, I'll be sure to use the environment card.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.