Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: November 12, 2010 10:36AM

I think many mormons feel they're forced to process what they say more extensively than nonmormons who are allowed to speak what they authentically believe.

Mormons must consider their audience. Are they giving an answer which suits a non-mo. If so, they must modify what they say to avoid offending an outsider?

Are they trying to ingratiate themselves to leaders, to butter them up and gain favor and better callings?

Are they speaking to someone who needs to learn mormon lessons and become more active and typically mormon?

Is their role to fellowship a convert who doesn't yet know or believe deep doctrine?

Does the mormons need to present an image of going along and getting along with like-minded fellows?

Whoever the mormon is trying to influence determines the meat/milk ratio of any conversation. Mormons aren't allowed to react naturally but must modify what they say and how they act as if their daily life involves performing in a contant stage production.

The mormons who don't think and act this way are usually the most clueless members. They don't even know the game and they're just hapless marginal players who might or might not find a niche in the mormon culture.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: mav ( )
Date: November 12, 2010 10:56AM

Posted by: ExMormonRon ( )
Date: November 12, 2010 11:02AM

Kinda like Obama, huh. Not a political statement, just an observation.

Ron

Posted by: jon1 ( )
Date: November 12, 2010 11:09AM

I think this is a valid point. I've been out since 1987, and every now and then I still find my mind reverting back to this, "think about who you are talking to" crap, and have to force myself back to life.

Valid observation, Ron.

Posted by: happycat ( )
Date: November 12, 2010 12:20PM

No Mormons speak slower because the prescrption drugs they take dumbs them down. Mormons speak slower because they're stupid!

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: November 12, 2010 02:36PM

Except that I still talk slowly as mormons tend to do. Oh, well. (giggling)

Posted by: maria ( )
Date: November 12, 2010 03:39PM

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: November 12, 2010 04:24PM

I also noticed in Star Trek there's always a pause while the Borg unit receives instructions from the hive.

Pesonally, I remember pausing before answering and having the (embarrassing now) thought cross my mind, "what DO we believe about that?"

We are always programmed that we represent the church, not just ourselves. That would make anyone speak more slowly, also, fear of being quoted "out of context" and called in to the principal's (I mean bishop's) office.

Anagrammy

Posted by: bobcat ( )
Date: November 12, 2010 05:37PM

Maybe Mormons speak slowly to nonMormons because there's an entirely different vocabulary to Mormonism. I found this to be so one evening while out with a Baptist friend when we started talking about how the missionaries who converted my parents never mentioned a thing about the Blacks not having the Priesthood.

The simplicity of the Baptist faith compared to all of the Celestial, Terrestrial, Telestial kingdoms, polygamy, Aaronic & Melchizadek Priesthoods, separate Godheads, sealings, baptism for the dead (that one REALLY freaked out my friend!!), etc., requires separate explanations. I don't think very many Mormons are prepared to expound on Morg doctrine very clearly, as it's just easier for them to say, "The prophet said it! That settles it!" & call the missionaries in to explain it all to their nonMormon friends.

When I once taught an RS lesson about Christ's visit in the BofM, I was looking out over a sea full of deer-in-the-headlights-stares from people whom I would have thought knew the story well enough to remember it. Most of them couldn't find the story in their copies of the BofM, if they had brought it, & they couldn't engage in a conversation about it. Since they couldn't talk amongst themselves about their doctrine, no wonder they talk slowly to nonMormons; they're trying to remember what, specifically, it is that they believe in.

Posted by: Charley ( )
Date: November 12, 2010 06:45PM

talks a mile a minute. It was something he picked up on his mission in SA. It takes some getting used to. I've noticed he slows it down a bit when talking to someone who's not family.

Posted by: helamonster ( )
Date: November 12, 2010 06:47PM

It's more because I have a habit of pissing people off through miscommunication if I speak too hastily than anything else.

I can even manage that on this board and have done so on numerous occasions.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.