Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Convert ( )
Date: November 11, 2010 11:58PM

Well? When did that start?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: November 12, 2010 12:57AM

I think it is a holdover from the 1950s. That's when the church was in its heyday. The dresses and hair for women as well as the white shirts sort of froze in time.

(The Amish dress froze in time too. Another exmaple: everyone knows some lady in her 60s who still wears her hair the way she wore it in high school. That was her glory time and she clings to it. I think that kind of mindset relates to Mormon teachings.)

Also, I think the LDS mindset of being clean cut and business oriented was behind the white shirts. Unfortunately that is not the look in businesses today. That was the business look from the 60s I think.

Mormons also have the idea in their heads that white clothes represent purity and righteousness. After all, God loves white clothes!

They are NOT progressive- (looking to the future). They are regressive (looking to the past for direction). I think that is why they are always behind the curve in thought, dress, and actions.

Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: November 12, 2010 01:15AM

I am loath to post a link to anything that is pro-morg, but it is the easiest way:

http://lds.org/ldsorg/v/index.jsp?hideNav=1&locale=0&sourceId=c0a727cd3f37b010VgnVCM1000004d82620a____&vgnextoid=2354fccf2b7db010VgnVCM1000004d82620aRCRD

It was the first sighting of that farkakte namebadge.

It was also the first place that "The Cletus" jesus statue made its debut.

Also, "Man's Search For Hopelessness" was first shown.

My aunt calls it the "Uniform Of The Priesthood". Barf.

Posted by: Major Bidamon ( )
Date: November 12, 2010 02:08AM

you know, with the commercials showing cool skater mormon dudes, I'll bet eventually TSCC will morph into a "come as you like" church. It will start slow. Like a casual Friday at work.

Posted by: Charley ( )
Date: November 12, 2010 09:57AM

Back in the 70s we used to wear colored shirts with our polyester leisure suits.

Posted by: kookoo4kokaubeam ( )
Date: November 12, 2010 10:49AM

Charley Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Back in the 70s we used to wear colored shirts
> with our polyester leisure suits.

I can vouch for this. Gotta love the 70's!

Now with the white shirt and tie thing the men of the church look like an army of salesmen. Which I guess is the point.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/12/2010 10:51AM by kookoo4kokaubeam.

Posted by: DNA ( )
Date: November 12, 2010 10:05AM

I turned 12 in the late 70's. We were told to wear white shirts and ties to pass the sacrament. It was pushed hard.

Once I became a Teacher at 14, I started wearing pullover light sweaters just to rebel. Once I became a priest at 16, the white shirt and sacrament thing was pushed hard again.

By pushed hard I mean the Bishop and leaders specifically telling us that they want us to wear white shirts.

Posted by: Crathes ( )
Date: November 12, 2010 10:44AM

They do refer to the white shirt and tie as the uniform. Uniform, meaning single or one format or appearance.

In most areas, white shirt and tie are mandatory to do anything.

I would think that for an organization that looses 2/3s of its volunteers, it would focus on things more important that outward appearances.

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: November 12, 2010 10:57AM

You have quasi-hillbilly roots (treasure hunting, really?), painfully uneducated, illiterate founder. You better clean up good.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.