Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: ymountain ( )
Date: October 05, 2011 02:31AM

listen to a few minutes of Neil L Anderson's saturday afternoon talk. That is sick. Just plain sick.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: fancypants ( )
Date: October 05, 2011 03:01AM

he basically said that if you don't have the time to have kids, have them anyways. that's just irresponsible! so get in debt more and more and raise your children in a horrible home life where they get no attention just because "god wants me to have as much children as I can"??!

Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: October 05, 2011 08:03AM

Mormons talk about how great kids are, but they ignore the problems that large families have. I am the oldest of 5 kids and while I don't wish my siblings gone, I would not wish that life on anyone.

1) Parents are tired, stressed out, often broke
2) Older children are deputized into surrogate parental roles
3) Younger children get little attention from their parents and are raised by their siblings. When they get to be teenagers, their parents are burnt out.
4) Older siblings are often told that they can't do what their peers can because their family is too big. They are given more responsibilities than their friends and less rewards.
5) Parents don't really get close to their kids because they lack the time and energy.
6) If you have a high needs child, like my sister, this makes it even tougher on the siblings. The problems listed above are exaggerated as the high needs child takes more attention from the older and younger siblings and cannot shoulder as much responsibility, creating even greater burdens on the older children.
7) This goes on to the next generation. If you have 5 kids and they each have 5 kids, you have 25 grandkids. You cannot afford presents, vacations, visits, etc. so you really don't know your own grandkids. They all get lumped into a giant herd and get no individual attention. Cousins hardly know each other.

One dynamic that I noticed from this is that I am closer to my youngest brother than he is to my parents. I spent more time with him when he was little than my parents did. When he was growing up, he called me for advice rather than turn to my distracted parents. I consider my relationship with him a blessing, but he did not get a lot out of my parents growing up.

My mom stayed home most of the time I was growing up and we lived in a nice suburban home. Today, you need a working mom to buy such a house and give kids the space not to be on top of each other. Telling people to have large families today is even worse than when I grew up given the economic difficulties facing the middle class. Then again, the GAs are all old and wealthy, so they don't seem to get that.

Posted by: Redwing ( )
Date: October 05, 2011 08:22AM

Hello! The corp has to have a steady stream of tithing coming in. New mactemples, you see. So they need a new crop of BIC, brain-washed babies who grow up & pay more money.

follow the money; follow the money; follow the money ......

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: October 05, 2011 09:49AM

Posted by: WiserWomanNow ( )
Date: October 05, 2011 12:44PM

The Mormon Cult is ALL about money (tithes & donations) and power (baby potential Mormon-candidate voters.)

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: October 05, 2011 01:17PM

As we have seen from the total lack of sermons that highlight the perils and needs of the world like starvation, famine, poverty and disease the church only cares about itself. All of those talks were given with only one goal- teaching people to do those things that will keep the ghost ship afloat and make it look enticing.

Your duty is to make future tithe payers and teach them by example to do everything we tell them.

One eternal round.

Posted by: ladybug ( )
Date: October 05, 2011 08:23AM

Even if you do decide to have a large family, just delaying the start until after college and getting a firm footing in a job can make a big differece!

I can't believe the church is saying go ahead and have kids (as the med student in the talk) when they have no way to support themselves. Do they live off welfare? I can't believe this is what the church wants. Although my nephew and family receive food stamps and milk it for all it's worth-then there is reduced school lunches-medicaid for the kids etc. So the tax payer get to support all thses young families? Unbelievable!!

Posted by: The Motrix ( )
Date: October 05, 2011 03:10PM

Exactly. I told my wife several years ago that this is the way the church is laundering food stamps. YOu have a shitload of kids, get food stamps, then pay a full tithing. Government money becomes non-taxable church money in the blind of an eye.

Posted by: Thread Killer ( )
Date: October 05, 2011 11:22AM

How bad could it be in foreign countries that are just recently getting away from large families in poverty with still high mortality, and now they're told to have big families? It could be bad.

Posted by: nonmotaxpayeraunt ( )
Date: October 05, 2011 11:28AM

My TBM nephew just finished med school. He is married with two kids and he and his wife want a large family. However, they are now on food stamps and worried about paying student loans because he was not accepted into an internship program. They are devastated. Guess the blessings for living the TBM life dried up. A members of the nonmo side of the family, we are amazed that they don't figure out it's not a good idea to have kids you can't support while still in school and not gainfully employed. They are on the one kid every 3 years plan, so will have several more kids before he starts practicing medicine. The taxpayers will foot the bill.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: October 05, 2011 12:59PM

not accepted internship...

is that the END of being a physician?

no working with patients, 'have to' work as a drug rep or something like that?

ouch!

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: October 05, 2011 01:00PM

investigating MoMism... OUCH!

they tell people EVERYTHING!

Posted by: eddie ( )
Date: October 05, 2011 02:22PM

guynoirprivateeye Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> not accepted internship...
>
> is that the END of being a physician?
>
> no working with patients, 'have to' work as a drug
> rep or something like that?
>
> ouch!

I can hear the wagging tongues at church, "He must have been sinning otherwise he would have gotten and internship." Surely it wouldn't have anything to do with him being distracted during med school by callings, wife, and kids.

Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: October 05, 2011 06:26PM

If he were studying more and going to church and dealing with family less, he'd be an intern now.

Posted by: skeptifem ( )
Date: October 05, 2011 12:49PM

I swear part of this is to make members feel inadequate. How the hell are they supposed to do it all? They are supposed to go to college, marry young, have tons of kids (who are well behaved), a perfect house, do all the church activities, stay good looking and thin, etc. It is nuts. It is way too much for anyone.

Posted by: Adult of god ( )
Date: October 05, 2011 02:00PM

Many, if not most of those babies will grow up and leave the morg anyway.

Posted by: anonow ( )
Date: October 05, 2011 02:06PM

which leaves it up to the couple to decide for themselves...

"When to have a child and how many children to have are private decisions to be made between a husband and wife and the Lord. These are sacred decisions — decisions that should be made with sincere prayer and acted on with great faith."

"...individuals should not be judgemental with one another in this sacred and private responsibility,"

I think some people don't hear these parts of such a talk and send themselves on unnecessary guit trips.

Posted by: ladybug ( )
Date: October 05, 2011 03:19PM

How can you say it's up to you and then tell the story of the man who wanted to wait until after med school and is told by SWK himself that it iis his responsibility and there is way etc.

Talk about setting someone up to feel like %$##. In other words, it's up to you but if you don't have kids right away you aren't being faithful, committed, etc. Talk about a doulble message

Oh,but don't judge-What a crock.

Posted by: eddie ( )
Date: October 05, 2011 03:35PM

ladybug Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> How can you say it's up to you and then tell the
> story of the man who wanted to wait until after
> med school and is told by SWK himself that it iis
> his responsibility and there is way etc.
>
> Talk about setting someone up to feel like %$##.
> In other words, it's up to you but if you don't
> have kids right away you aren't being faithful,
> committed, etc. Talk about a doulble message
>
> Oh,but don't judge-What a crock.

The double bind in Mormonism is alive and well.

http://www.exmormon.org/pattern/index.htm

Posted by: anonow ( )
Date: October 05, 2011 03:41PM

I would have no regrets about saying "well that's a nice talk and I will consider it but I am going to do what I think is right for my family" and then do it the way I want without worrying about what others think.

Posted by: imalive ( )
Date: October 05, 2011 06:34PM

I was REALLY FLOORED when that asshole had a pity party about those families that had some kids and were lamenting that they couldn't have more!!!!!!! WHAT THE GODDAMN FUCK?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/05/2011 06:35PM by imalive.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.