Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: October 03, 2011 11:03PM

I recall the day I received a phone call from Senator Orrin Hatch asking me to help him protect Paul H. Dunn from media investigation.

I was going through some old files awhile back and came across some recollections I had written down about a phone call I received some years ago from Senator Orrin Hatch, asking me to help him protect Paul H. Dunn from media scrutiny. The account of the Hatch call was originally intended as part of a presentation I gave at a "Sunstone" symposium shortly after leaving the Mormon Church, but because of time constraints, it was left unmentioned.

Below is the account from the prepared text:

"One day [Senator Orrin Hatch] called me asking a favor. He had heard that my colleagues at the 'Arizona Republic' were investigating allegations that Elder Paul H. Dunn had manufactured claims about his war and baseball careers. He asked me to prevail on my reporter friends to kill the investigation.

"The Senator was making the request, he said, because Paul Dunn was 'a good friend' whom he wished to protect from Lynn Packer, a Mormon journalist who had made the charges, [and] whom Hatch accused of having 'an axe to grind against the Church.'

"I felt very uncomfortable and asked Senator Hatch if he had looked into the allegations against Elder Dunn to see if they were true. He admitted he had not. I told him I could not, in good conscience, interfere with the developing story. The phone conversation quickly ended, with Senator Hatch saying he might get back to me. He never did. The story, of course, later ran and Elder Dunn confessed he had, indeed, exaggerated his exploits."

By the way, the Mormon Church leadership must have known about Dunn's dubious stories long before he was finally exposed as a consumate fraud.

At BYU, I had a political science professor named Ray Hillam who had edited a book, entitled, "A Time to Kill," featuring wartime episodes from the lives of Mormon soldiers in combat.

It was compiled and published before Dunn was undone. I asked Hillam why, during the preparation of the book, he did not include any of Dunn's fantastic war tales.

Hillam told me that he had done some investigating into Dunn's claims, including speaking with sources inside the Church (whom he did not name), and the consensus was that the exploits were so fantastic that their credibility was highly questionable. Rather than pursue the matter further at that time, Hillam told me he just decided to drop any idea of publishing Dunn's amazing action-packed accounts.

For what it's worth, it seems highly unlikely to me that skeptical opinion of Dunn's tales had not been voiced within earshot of His Fakiness's superiors. Put more precisely, the GAs had to have known that Dunn's tales were suspicious, at best, and lies, at worst.Yet, they did nothing until the media blew the whistle on him--then quietly retired him without firing a shot.
_____

Here is what "Sunstone" magazine reported on Packer's findings, as they eventually appeared in the "Arizona Republic":

"On 16 February 1991, 'The Arizona Republic' reported that many of Elder Paul H. Dunn’s baseball and war stories had serious factual problems. The highlights of the report were that Harold Brown did not die in Dunn’s arms as Dunn had repeatedly told audiences, but is still living in Odessa, Missouri; and that Dunn never played for the St. Louis Cardinals.

"The story was printed in newspapers across the nation and was widely discussed by the Utah Saints. Some were angry at Elder Dunn; others defended him. Interestingly, some of the strongest hostility was directed toward Lynn Packer, the reporter who uncovered the story and sold his research to the 'Republic' and to a Salt Lake television station.

"There was also a lot of finger pointing among the press as to
why the Utah media sat on the story and waited for the 'Republic' to break it.

"In a statement issued at the time of the 'Republic story,' the LDS church stated that it could not confirm the allegations in the 'Republic.' It did affirm that Dunn was made an emeritus general authority for health reasons. Reporters contacted Dunn, who expressed sorrow over the pain the revelations had caused the Church and said his stories were created simply to illustrate moral points, as did Jesus’ parables. . . .

"As expected, the Mormon folk culture immediately began assuaging the tension of the event through humor. Perhaps the most common joke was about document forger Mark Hofmann making Paul Dunn Cardinals baseball cards. Other jokes placed Dunn in unlikely settings, such as catching BYU Heisman quarterback Ty Detmer’s first touch-down pass. Several individuals submitted unsolicited cartoons to 'Sunstone.' 'Sunstone' believes that this event should be confronted so as not to be forgotten and perhaps repeated. The articles we have gathered concerning the Paul Dunn episode are grouped into three general sections: (1) reprints of news accounts which reported the event, including the original 'Arizona Republic' story; (2) an edited version of the original Lynn Packer story, which he wrote for the 1989 Salt Lake 'Sunstone' symposium but did not give because 'Sunstone' felt the story needed to be put into a broader context; and (3) essays responding to the episode.

"Examples of the communityg effort to deal with the event through humor are interspersed throughout the articles. Although this episode is a painful one, we believe that a sympathetic yet thorough inquiry into the matter is salutory, helping us to become a stronger and more honest community."

(To read all the above-mentioned examinations, see the lead article, "The Paul Dunn Stories," by "Sunstone's" editors, September 1991, p. 28, followed by the afore-noted reprinted investigative findings, at: https://www.sunstonemagazine.com/pdf/083-28-34.pdf)

Edited 15 time(s). Last edit at 10/03/2011 11:57PM by steve benson.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: October 03, 2011 11:11PM

Don't pretend you didn't read about it on RFM.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/03/2011 11:12PM by wine country girl.

Date: October 03, 2011 11:13PM

See "elcid's" account (quoted below) regarding the questioned veracity of Monson's war story (which, of course, I did read on RfM):

"I actually printed out, about two years ago (?), talks given by TSM [Thomas S. Monson] about his 'boyhood friend' Arthur Patton. The talks were given decades apart and detail the service and death (in WW II) of Arthur Patton on different ships, in different battles, and in different years. And the kicker...in the listing of Utah war dead there is no Arthur Patton (or Patten).

"I posted about this on NOM [New Order Mormon] (?) and Post Mormon Org. I think it must have gotten some interest. I wanted to see a serious journalist look at this story and other TSM stories.

"Where there is one lie there are bound to be others. If we wait too long people who may remember people may die and we won't be able to expose the truth.

"So, I hope Lynn Packer or somebody does look at this."

http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,310504,310510#msg-310510
____

If "elcid" is interested in pursuing this further with a newspaper investigative reporter, I would be happy to make some preliminary inquiries and provide contact information.

Edited 12 time(s). Last edit at 10/03/2011 11:57PM by steve benson.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: October 20, 2011 07:06AM

Now, here's the rub of the green on Dunn's stories...

If you were present and heard him relate his war experiences did you feel the spirit? I know that large numbers of believing Mormons did. In fact some of them were moved to tears. How can that compute with what we now know of Dunn?

a. The spirit can bear witness of lies.

b. Mormons can be tricked into thinking they are feeling the spirit when they are actually being lied to.

There is no third option - one of those two things is true.

Both are problematical when it comes to the Book of Mormon. Felt the spirit tell you the Book of Mormon is true? How do you know?

Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: October 20, 2011 07:28AM

Dunn was a great tale spinner. He should have done like Monson and kept the stories vague enough that they couldn't be traced. Dunn was a Walter Mitty type, trying to live out a more interesting life in his head than in reality.

As a fiction writer, he would have done well, but for some reason he had to pretend that his fantasies had really happened.

Posted by: cynthus ( )
Date: January 09, 2014 02:39PM

Paul H. Dunn did speak at one of the meetings I attended as a child. I have to say that he was an excellent storyteller. Maybe he should have been a fiction writer instead of a GA.

Date: January 09, 2014 02:55PM

Posted by: cynthus ( )
Date: January 09, 2014 02:58PM

+1 ROFLAMO

Posted by: Checker of minor facts ( )
Date: January 09, 2014 08:44PM

I also heard him speak once when I was a kid, but when and where that was, I don't remember. My first impression was that his stories were pretty cool and I thought he was a great American hero!

That is, until the family was in the station wagon driving home later that evening. As dad was driving us home, my mom turned to my dad (a REAL Korean war and Vietnam war veteran) and asked... "well, what did you think?" Dad was quiet for quite a few seconds. Finally he spoke in a near whisper as he shook his head negatively "I don't want to call anybody a liar, so let's not talk about it". And that was that.

Now that I'm much older and experienced in life, I realize that most real wartime vets don't like to talk about their experience beyond some vague references to "yeah, I was there too". Some do finally go into details very late in their life for the purpose of writing a book or such. Others, like my dad, take it to the grave with them.

Even though my dad could be a hard case TBM, I learned about life from him. Paul Dunn? I can only remember his name.

Posted by: zenjamin ( )
Date: January 09, 2014 02:40PM

Thanks Steve, wondered what happened to The Mighty Dunn.
Quite surprised.
He was still red hot when I walked.
Kind of got paraded about like a 4-H Blue Ribboner.
Heard him speak once.
Just amazing, amazing, amazingly - fabricated.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/09/2014 02:44PM by zenjamin.

Posted by: Finance Clerk ( )
Date: January 09, 2014 02:53PM

Indeed he was a great story teller. Him and Paul Harvey could have been almost interchangeable in story telling technique, appearance, and mannerisms.

Posted by: en passant ( )
Date: January 09, 2014 03:25PM

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: January 09, 2014 05:07PM

You could buy his talks on cassette tapes.
(You younger folks will have to google cassette tapes)
My TBM brother bought a copy of everyone as they came out.

Lots of folks spent a lot of money on them and his books.

Posted by: crom ( )
Date: January 09, 2014 06:47PM

"Some were angry at Elder Dunn; others defended him. Interestingly, some of the strongest hostility was directed toward Lynn Packer, the reporter who uncovered the story"

If the Brethren (past and present) are asses we politely ignore it. "We don't care about history" should be on every chapel underneath "Visitors Welcome".

Posted by: get her done ( )
Date: January 09, 2014 08:52PM

When I was young, I thought he was going to be the prophet. I believed him. Thanks for the truth.

Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: January 09, 2014 08:55PM

an axe to grind against the Church - I wish everyone with an axe to grind against the church would all grind those axes at once and bring the entire piece of shit crashing down at once.
I have never hated an institution or organization as much as I hate that moron church. I sincerely hope I live to see the complete collapse of TSCC. I will do my part. Any ideas?

Posted by: Dennis Moore ( )
Date: January 09, 2014 09:01PM

TBM DH has a set of Paul Dunn's cassette tapes. I remember seeing him at a "special" fireside with the Osmonds.

That's too bad he was full of bullsh!t.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: January 09, 2014 11:36PM

Why was there no movie about Mark Hoffman? There were at least
3 books written about the Hoffman affair.

There were TWO movies about Frances Schreuder's plot to have
her son murder her father--"At Mother's Request," and "Money,
Madness, Murder."

They made a movie about the Singer-Swapp standoff at Marion,
Utah.

They made a movie about that guy who shot the nurse at Alta
Hospital.

They made a movie about the kidnapping of Elizabeth Smart.

All Utah crimes that made the news.

But the biggest, juiciest Utah crime didn't get made into a
movie. Why?

Could it be that the Mormons used influence to kill the
project, much like Hatch wanted you to help kill the Arizona
Republic story?

From "On This Day in Mormon History":

Sept 20, 1921 - Apostle Reed Smoot receives letter from
president of Fox Films, agreeing to stop exhibiting movie
RIDERS OF THE PURPLE SAGE, after First Presidency condemned
film on Aug 24. Studio estimates its loss at $300,000 for
withdrawing this and THE RAINBOW TRAIL, which LDS leaders also
regard as anti-Mormon. Studio re-edits RIDERS, which Apostle
Smoot reviews and approves on Feb 15, 1925.

Nov 5, 1951 - First Presidency learns of plans by Warner
Brothers to make film about Mountain Meadows Massacre, based on
recent scholarly book by LDS Juanita Brooks. Within seven days
First Presidency successfully persuades Hollywood studio to
kill project.

Posted by: newcomer ( )
Date: August 14, 2016 10:35AM

Dude just couldn't stop lying. And boy is that pure narcissism or what? To lie about playing for the St. Louis Cardinals and think that people were dumb enough or lazy enough to not check this?

What... Does he think he's in a cult or something?

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: August 14, 2016 11:18AM

I think Baura is correct. Very difficult to find any movie that even suggests "anti-mormon" on Netflix or Amazon movies.

Posted by: themaster ( )
Date: August 14, 2016 11:54AM

Did Paul Dunn tell a War story where he was on a beach and a Japanese tank rolled onto his helmet trapping his head and stopping. Then while Dunn was praying, the tank moved backwards saving his life?

I am pretty sure I remember this story from my youth.

Posted by: Nottoday ( )
Date: August 14, 2016 12:09PM

Paul Dunn and his wife came into my business in Utah County a year or so after he got his ass handed to him.

'Emeritus' status whatever that is wasn't harsh enough IMO.

Anyway he was a broken man.. just sat there at looked out the window with out saying anything.

Do I feel sorry for him... NO

Lyin Bastard

Date: August 14, 2016 12:57PM

I'd like to ask Steve or anyone who might know: what was the punishment doled out to Dunn?

Posted by: ^ ( )
Date: August 14, 2016 07:20PM

Deseret News announcement of Dunn's death:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiVhPTMg8LOAhUGwGMKHTTpAsgQFggqMAI&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.deseretnews.com%2Farticle%2F606338%2FEmeritus-LDS-leader-Paul-Dunn-dies.html%3Fpg%3Dall&usg=AFQjCNGOM-ggafV5ZGH1jWBWIh49qgLwvg&bvm=bv.129422649,d.dmo

Dunn's seemingly contrite open letter (to members of the Mormon Church at large), issued on 23 October 1991:

"I have been accused of various activities unbecoming a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

"I confess that I have not always been accurate in my public talks and writings. Furthermore, I have indulged in other activities inconsistent with the high and sacred office which I have held.

"For all of these I feel a deep sense of remorse, and ask forgiveness of any whom I may have offended.

"My brethren of the General Authorities, over a long period of time, have conducted in-depth investigations of the charges made against me. They have weighed the evidence. They have censured me and placed a heavy penalty upon me.

"I accept their censure and the imposed penalty, and pledge to conduct my life in such a way as to merit their confidence and full fellowship.

"In making these acknowledgements, I plead for the understanding of my brethren and sisters throughout the Church and give assurance of my determination so to live as to bring added respect to the cause I deeply love, and honor to the Lord who is my Redeemer.

"Sincerely,

Paul H. Dunn'

('Elder Dunn Offers Apology for Errors, Admits Censure,' in 'Deseret News,' 27 October 1991, at: http://www.deseretnews.com/article/190407/ELDER-DUNN-OFFERS-APOLOGY-FOR-ERRORS-ADMITS-CENSURE.html?pg=all)

In publishing the letter, the LDS Church-owned 'Deseret News' offered its predictable pro-Mormon spin:

'In an open letter to LDS Church members, Elder Paul H. Dunn apologized Saturday for not having "always been accurate" in telling his popular war and baseball stories, and he acknowledged being disciplined for it by Church authorities . . . .

'Elder Dunn, an emeritus member of the First Quorum of Seventy of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, asked the church's First Presidency and Council of the Twelve for the opportunity to send an open letter to church members. The letter was published in Saturday's issue of the �Church News.� . . .

'Church spokesman Don LeFevre said Saturday that the nature of the penalty is "an internal matter, and we don't discuss such matters" publicly.

'Elder Dunn has an unlisted phone number and could not be reached for comment. He concluded his letter by pleading for the understanding of Church members and assured them of his "determination so to live as to bring added respect to the cause I deeply love, and honor to the Lord who is my Redeemer."'

Dunn died of a heart attack seven years later on 9 January 1998, at the age of 73. Virtually no mention is made in a quick, post-mortem article about his life published in the March 1998 edition of the LDS Church-owned 'Ensign' magazine. In a statement about Dunn's life and times, the LDS First Presidency said only this:

'He was a longtime teacher and advocate of youth and served as a mission president and General Authority of the Church over a period of 34 years . . . We extend our sympathy and love to his wife, Jeanne, and family.'

The article did mention, however, that Dunn 'was named Father of the Year in 1972'

('Paul H. Dunn Passes Away,' in 'Ensign' magazine, 'News of the Church' section, March 1998, at: https://www.lds.org/ensign/1998/03/news-of-the-church?lang=eng)
'

Date: August 14, 2016 08:04PM

Thanks.

So all we know is that he was disciplined.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.