Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: poster ( )
Date: November 11, 2010 04:14AM

I have my TBm mother who always preches mormonism to people and is doing it now to a non mormon woman.She is teahcing he woman that all non Mormon churches are Satanic and inspired of the devil because they work i oppposition to the what my mother claims is the true mormon church.

Yet, for public relation purposes,the mormon church is involved in all sorts of ways with non mormon churches.When the pope visited Australia a few years ago, the mormon church highlighted on the local mormon website about how a young Mormon lady carried the large wooden cross as a pilgramge or something like that to celebrate the pope arrival in the country.Mormon leaders like to be seen in photo opportunity with other religious leaders and clergy.

So what is the supposed to be the attitude towards non mormon churches?Are they supposed to be inspired of Satan or a steeping stone to what mormon regard as their truth?

My mother has not been involved in the mormon church for years,yet preaches like she is a missionary.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: November 11, 2010 04:21AM

They believe they are the one true church and while some other churches are better than nothing, no church other church is worth much by comparison.

BUT they don't admit this deep bias to most outsiders, investigators or new members.

The milk is their outward but very shallow respect of other churches.

The meat is their faith that only their own beliefs are valid.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/11/2010 04:36AM by Cheryl.

Posted by: michael ( )
Date: November 11, 2010 08:34AM

that the Roman Catholic church is called either the "great and abominable satan" or the "great and abominable whore." Nice way to show how positive the 11th Article of Faith is.

Posted by: amos ( )
Date: November 11, 2010 08:52AM

The church backed off the "all their creeds are an abomination in my sight" attitude a long time ago. The minister beholden to Satan was removed from the temple ceremony, etc. Conference talks have extoled the protestant reformation and other events during "The Great Apostasy" as necessary services antecedent to the "restoration". The Apostasy itself is the fulfillment of prophecy and a tactic to expose Satan, ie, "the man of sin will be revealed". And, after all, the church claims itself as THE ONE institution possessing the priesthood, no matter how well-intentioned any other institution is. They may indeed even be better-intentioned than the true church, which actually occurs in the Book of Mormon where converts admittedly incurred the disservice of simply switching from "one piece of iniquity to another".
I agree with the church. All churches are wrong, including the LDS church.

Posted by: DNA ( )
Date: November 11, 2010 09:07AM

The real belief is that Mormons are right, and all the others are wrong. All the others lead people away from Christ's real church, and that's either not nice, or evil.

But someone with some PR skills decided that people from the other churches don't like to hear that, and they would be less likely to join after being so offended. So they decided that all churches have a bit of truth, just not quite enough truth.

It went from them being downright evil, to them being nice folks that just don't have enough truth yet, otherwise they'd become mormons.

I don't really think the real belief changed, they just became more PR savvy.

Posted by: top ( )
Date: November 12, 2010 05:04AM

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: November 12, 2010 07:14AM

“Believers in the doctrines of modern Christendom will reap damnation to their souls.”

- Apostle Bruce R. McConkie, Mormon Doctrine, see pp. 45-46
--------------

"...the Book of Mormon remains secure, unchanged and unchangeable, ...But with the Bible it was not and is not so....it was once in the sole and exclusive care and custody of an abominable organization [Christianity], founded by the devil himself, likened prophetically unto a great whore, whose great aim and purpose was to destroy the souls of men in the name of religion. In these hands it ceased to be the book it once was."

- Apostle Bruce R. McConkie, The Joseph Smith Translation, pp. 12, 13
---------------

Brother Taylor has just said that the religions of the day were hatched in hell. The eggs were laid in hell, hatched on its borders, and then kicked on to the earth."

- Prophet Brigham Young, Journal of Discourses, v. 6, p. 176
---------------

"With a regard to true theology, a more ignorant people never lived than the present so-called Christian world."

- Prophet Brigham Young, Journal of Discourses, v. 8, p. 199
---------------

"The Christian world, so-called, are heathens as to the knowledge of the salvation of God"

- Prophet Brigham Young, Journal of Discourses, v. 8, p. 171
---------------

Posted by: melissa3839 ( )
Date: November 12, 2010 07:46AM

These days, whenever they start in on me with that "Our church is the only TRUE church" nonsense, I simply say,

"Look, your puppy loyalty is really cute. But the idea of God and heaven were around WAYYYY before the LDS church and its stolen-from-the-Masons temple rituals ever were. And people still went to heaven back then. So it would appear that a human DOES NOT have to be Mormon to get into heaven. If those people can do it without being a Mormon, then so can I."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/12/2010 07:46AM by melissa3839.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: November 12, 2010 09:36AM

They even used a reference to schizophrenia in the recent SLTrib article:

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/home/50657590-76/givens-mormons-university-mormon.html.csp

'Tis a sad life when Mormons want so badly to be accepted within the realm of mainstream Christianity, while simultaneously bashing it.

I still remember in the old pre-1990 temple endowment ceremony how the mainstream Christian minister was portrayed as a chump of Satan. It was also so in Mormon Doctrine, and Teachings of the Prophets (or whatever the Joseph Fielding Smith series was called) and all that. Non-Mormon Christianity was all part and parcel of the "Whore of the Earth." The Mormons now want to sweep that under the rug, and yet they still have the audacity now and again to pull it back out and mention it. You can't have it both ways.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/12/2010 09:36AM by cludgie.

Posted by: unworthy ( )
Date: November 12, 2010 10:56AM

It it total arogance and self serving to degrade other beliefs. It seems that that is a standard line from many mormons. When I worked with the mormons at a job,,they constantly refered to the Catholic church as"the whore of the earth". I reminded them they had the right to belive and worship as they see fit,,and I didn't see them calling the mormons or other religions ignorant names.

Posted by: ExMormonRon ( )
Date: November 12, 2010 11:19AM

The proper response is:

"Y'all are fucked up and we feel sorry for you."

Just sayin'...

Ron

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.