Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: SweetZ ( )
Date: November 11, 2010 03:41AM

Honestly when I saw a friend post this on facebook I thought it was just another hoax. Disgusting. and even more disgusting that it's getting all this free press.

Posted by: quoth the raven "nevermo" ( )
Date: November 11, 2010 05:47AM

Even if it gets publicity no one can buy the book now. I am disgusted and don't see this as a freedom of speech issue since the book advocates sexual contact with children. And I don't believe the author has not had sexual contact with a minor since he was a teenager. That was all he could admit to legally. Once a pedophile always a pedophile.

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: November 11, 2010 08:05AM

Underwager was one of the early founders of the "False Memory Syndrome Foundation," and is credited by many for coining the term "False Memory Syndrome."

He was forced to resign from FMSF after an article was published under his by-line in a Dutch Magazine defending the practice of pedophilia...

I only glanced at the link MJ provided (sorry, I've got young daughter, and that's all I stand to look at), and it looks to me like the rhetoric is similar to what Underwager was espousing...

Underwager, who passed away in 2003, also appeared as a defense witness in many court cases involving child abuse, pedophilia, and incest...

Finally, when I resorted to Google to look up his name, I see the FMSF crowd is now claiming the term "False Memory Syndrome" was created by Peter Freyd rather than Underwager (barf bag warning if you read the Wiki entry on the subject).

Not that Freyd is an more credible; his daughter is a PhD psychologist who has absolutely no contact with her parents because of her belief she was subjected to ongoing sexual molesation during her childhood.

Posted by: top cat ( )
Date: November 12, 2010 09:56AM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.