Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: ExMormonRon ( )
Date: November 10, 2010 03:20PM

Is it still true that if a TBM woman is married in the temple, then receives a civil divorce, that she can't remarry in the temple until she obtains 1. permission from her ex, and 2. permission from a GA?

I remember my ex had to do this. She was married in the temple, then divorced, then married me and we had to get her ex's "permission" and go visit a GA in SLC. This was back in 1976 however.

Now, on the other hand, if I was married in the temple and got a divorce I could have another temple marriage without any persmissions.

Just wonderin'...

Ron

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: vhainya ( )
Date: November 10, 2010 03:24PM

Divorce, yeah. Widowed.. it depends. Often in the latter cases they'll let the woman take another temple husband and just say it will all be sorted out in heaven.

Posted by: fallenangelblue ( )
Date: November 10, 2010 03:34PM

I had to write a letter to SLC giving my permission for my temple marriage to be dissolved so my ex could marry someone else in the temple. Guys have it much easier.

My sister, on the other hand, will have to petition the church for a dissolution of marriage, and to be able to be remarried in the temple (if she wants to) and present a good case. This is what she was told anyway. She's thinking about starting the process early. Once you find Prince Charming, it's hard to wait. LOL

Posted by: vhainya ( )
Date: November 10, 2010 03:41PM

From what I've heard they won't dissolve the temple marriage unless she has already met someone who's willing to marry her. Resigning should accomplish this in theory, but I've heard of people having a difficult time even when their ex had officially resigned. I guess it's more important the woman have a man to pull her through the veil, even if it means eternity with someone she can't stand.

Date: November 12, 2010 07:24AM

This is exactly the discussion I have with TBMs when they claim polygamy isn't practiced in the church. It's a prime example of how they still believe men can and should be sealed to more than one woman. Per these rules, women can only be sealed to one man, whereas men can be sealed to myriads of women. A woman can't be sealed to more than one man. She has to petition for a dissolution, then can be sealed to another. The man, on the other hand, doesn't petition for diddly. He just goes to the temple and gets sealed again.

Hmmmmmmmmm...

Ron

Posted by: anon ( )
Date: November 12, 2010 07:31AM

A little known fact:
A woman can be sealed to all of her husbands after she and they are all dead.

Date: November 12, 2010 07:34AM

anon Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> A little known fact:
> A woman can be sealed to all of her husbands after
> she and they are all dead.

True, but the church's stand is this: "It will be sorted out in heaven." So, at the end of the day, she'll still only be sealed to one man.

Ron

Posted by: Nina ( )
Date: November 12, 2010 09:18AM

Makes me wonder whether the already married wives of Smith, Young, Kimball, et al. are married to them or their legal husbands or both in the hereafter. And since those sprit being children from those unions, who will be their heavenly father to pray to (or will that heavenly mother who has 2 husbands will populate 2 different planets, since daddy could be one of 2 gods she's married to? Mormon heaven has got to be something to behold, My head's spinning! The Mormon god will have a fine time to sort that one out, wont he? LOL!

Posted by: jon1 ( )
Date: November 12, 2010 09:44AM

ExMormonRon Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> anon Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > A little known fact:
> > A woman can be sealed to all of her husbands
> after
> > she and they are all dead.
>
> True, but the church's stand is this: "It will be
> sorted out in heaven." So, at the end of the day,
> she'll still only be sealed to one man.
>
> Ron

So.....the celestial kingdom is going to be like a never ending Jerry Springer show? Sounds heavenly!

Posted by: another guy ( )
Date: November 12, 2010 08:04AM

The ex-wife makes an application for the temple sealing to be dissolved. As part of her application, the bishop sends a letter to the ex-husband, asking for his input. He may respond if he wants to. This is then sent in with her application, and the marriage is dissolved by the first presidency. It usually takes a few months.

This happened to me. In my written reply to the bishop's certified letter, I said that I opposed this action. But it was done anyway, and I got a letter from a 70 telling me when it was done. When I wrote back asking why it was dissolved and that I had opposed it, he wrote back pointing out that they didn't ask my permission, only my input. As I re-read the bishop's letter, he was right. The 70 also said that the 1st presidency had reviewed all the statements and reports from the priesthood leaders when making their decision. I asked my stake president if he or the bishop had been asked for any input in this process, and he said 'no'. I then said that it seems like an ex-wife can make an application to have a temple sealing dissolved, and they'll automatically do it regardless of the position or input from the ex-husband - as well as no input from the ex-husband's priesthood leaders (thus making it a one-sided application) - and he replied, "pretty much, yes."

Posted by: another guy ( )
Date: November 12, 2010 08:41AM

PS - he also wrote that I should accept this decision because the 1st presidency was "inspired" to take this action. (BS)

Posted by: Jon ( )
Date: November 12, 2010 08:44AM

A Church General Authority giving a straight Yes or No answer...

Is this a first?

Posted by: dr5 ( )
Date: November 12, 2010 08:50AM

With the divorce rate soaring, all that divine inspiration-seeking must keep them pretty busy.

Posted by: Crathes ( )
Date: November 12, 2010 09:55AM

Sounds like "Group Marriage" to me. We will need a really big bed, while we sort it our in heaven.

What silliness.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.