Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anon for obvious reasons ( )
Date: September 23, 2011 06:20PM

I had an interesting conversation with my brother and sil. My brother is now the Bishop of his ward in Utah and recently attended a training meeting on the new CHI.

He told us that the part about not getting a permanent sterilization was discussed. The dude giving the training said that the church is strongly against men getting vasectomies as they can have babies later in life than women. In instances of death or divorce, they are finding that men usually have more babies with spouse #2 than women.

Bishops are being told to counsel the wife to get her tubes tied IF something permanent must be done. He told a story of a man that got a vasectomy while his wife was pregnant with her 4th child. The wife died during childbirth. This righteous man wanted to marry another woman and this woman was later devastated and heartbroken to find out that his vasectomy was irreversible.

The dude giving the training said that we never know when polygamy will be brought back and men are able to procreate for much longer than women are. He then told the parable of the talents and told them that getting a vasectomy was essentially burying those talents. Yes, he said this!

Don’t know what to think of this. My brother thought it was funny and didn’t appear to be taking any of it seriously . He was joking that now he had it from the top that he wouldn’t have to get snipped. His wife wasn’t laughing for some reason.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: lulu ( )
Date: September 23, 2011 06:23PM

Cool.

Posted by: searching27 ( )
Date: September 23, 2011 06:25PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/23/2011 06:27PM by searching27.

Posted by: dressclothes ( )
Date: September 23, 2011 06:27PM

Posted by: helamonster ( )
Date: September 23, 2011 06:27PM

Surprising? No.

Here's the thing: Yes, men may wince at the thought of a vasectomy, but women have more to fear. For a woman to have her tubes tied requires invasive surgery, general aneesthesia and an overnight hospital stay. For a man, vasectomy is an outpatient procedure through which you are conscious, and you go home afterward.

So the morg's answer is to place more undue burden on women. Pfft!

Despite being a decorated combat vet, my getting a vasectomy did more than anything else to make Mrs. Hela think of me as a hero. And all I needed to do was apply ice to my junk for a weekend.

Date: September 23, 2011 06:29PM

15 minutes later they sent me home.... gotta love military hospitals huh? (got my tubes tied)

Date: September 23, 2011 06:30PM

It's like they do all they can to cultivate an ANTI-bedside manner.

Date: September 23, 2011 06:33PM

when she called to check on me (she is a nurse and works in another military hospital across the country) she was FLOORED that I wasn't staying the night. She said it is pretty much procedure that you have to stay overnight when coming up from general anesthesia at their hospital and any other hospital she has ever worked for....

yeah so I was pretty nervous lol Especially since I have a hard time coming out of and after being put under

Date: September 23, 2011 06:34PM

I didn't want Mrs. Hela to take the risks associated with general anesthesia or a hospital stay.

Posted by: knotheadusc ( )
Date: September 23, 2011 07:05PM

My husband got snipped for his ex wife so she wouldn't have to deal with the risks. Ex repaid him by alienating the two kids they had together and her son from another marriage, then having two more kids with her third victim. So then my husband had the vasectomy reversed so that he and I might have kids together. The surgery (done by military docs) was successful in that he shot live sperm. Unfortunately, we still don't have kids.

Oh well. I'd rather have my husband than kids anyway. And we still have beagles that we don't have to send to college.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/23/2011 07:27PM by knotheadusc.

Posted by: knotheadusc ( )
Date: September 23, 2011 07:36PM

That is very cool, matt!

Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: September 23, 2011 07:56PM

and I hate the fuckin' beagles, man!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/23/2011 07:56PM by wine country girl.

Posted by: jpt ( )
Date: September 23, 2011 06:28PM

That is, in a church meeting. But if discussed outside of church in an open forum, it would all be anti-mormon lies.

Posted by: Stunted ( )
Date: September 23, 2011 06:34PM

And we all know that happens all the time in the church.

Anybody had a look and the new CHI to know if it says anything at all about getting snipped?

Posted by: CHI ( )
Date: September 23, 2011 07:26PM

Surgical sterilization is highly discouraged without any gender specificity. Book #1 pg 167

Posted by: goldenrule ( )
Date: September 24, 2011 01:32AM

Yeah, I think I've mentioned a few times on here our psychotic SP who held up the CHI during combined RS/PH meeting ward conference and told the PH if they had had a vesectomy to report to BP and start the repentance process ASAP. Wtf o_O

Posted by: imalive ( )
Date: September 23, 2011 06:48PM

My husband did this. He refused to get a vasectomy and I had to get my tubes tied. Bastard asshole!

Posted by: Anon10 ( )
Date: September 23, 2011 07:00PM

Date: September 23, 2011 07:09PM

Mine was pretty easy. Just had to put ice on my junk for a weekend.

And NO, it had no effect on my potency. In fact, I enjoy sex more now, because I know it won't result in an unintended pregnancy.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/23/2011 07:14PM by helamonster.

Posted by: unworthy ( )
Date: September 23, 2011 07:28PM

Never had any problems. Took to worry out of being close.

Posted by: Misfit ( )
Date: September 23, 2011 07:30PM

I second Hela. Getting my wings clipped was the best thing that happened to my marriage. Wife & I can both enjoy sex alot more now without worrying.

Posted by: scarecrowfromoz ( )
Date: September 23, 2011 07:12PM

What if it's irreversible in the Celestial Kingdom? How can you populate your own planet if you can't have kids?

Posted by: Johnny Rotten ( )
Date: September 23, 2011 08:08PM

Half the men in our ward have done this. Two have had it reversed. So I call bullshit on the speakers claim. It just goes to show most TBM's have no idea what the Church teaches.

I was sterilized several years ago...I love it.

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: September 23, 2011 08:22PM

Once again, it shows that TSCC is still a sexist organization as they want the woman to suffer in case they get to bring polygamy back. It doesn't matter that with a vasectomy, the man gets to go home and put an ice pack on his junk for a week, while the woman has an overnight stay in the hospital. My ex-husband was one of those TBM's who look forward to polygamy being reinstated, as he actually admitted that to me.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/23/2011 08:25PM by adoylelb.

Posted by: djmaciii ( )
Date: September 24, 2011 01:12AM

My mom told me a story relating to this a few years back.

After I was born, my mom told my dad that 4 kids was enough (my mom was 21 when she had me, she had my oldest brother at 15). She told my dad she wanted him to get his tubes tied. My dad said they needed to discuss the topic with the bishop. The bishop told them not to do it, and that they should have more kids.

My dad eventually caved at got his tubes tied.

I cant believe my mom did 30 years in the cult..

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: September 24, 2011 01:33AM

Huh ?

Are you saying that spouse # 2 is not a woman ?

Posted by: goldenrule ( )
Date: September 24, 2011 01:39AM

I think he means not as many woman have kids with their subsequent spouse as men do.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/24/2011 01:40AM by goldenrule.

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: September 24, 2011 01:57AM

Page 167, 17.3.15, CHI 2010 USA

The church strongly discourages surgical sterilization as an elective form of birth control. Surgical sterilization should be considered only if (1) medical conditions seriously jeopardize life or health or (2) birth defect or serious trauma have rendered a person mentally incompetent and not responsible for his or her actions. Such conditions..see a professional blah blah. Even then, the persons responsible for this decision should consult with each other and with their bishop and should receive divine confirmation of their decision thru prayer.

Posted by: Tristan-Powerslave ( )
Date: September 24, 2011 02:01AM

How incredibly sick, but I'm still not surprised at being reminded of this. The cult has to invade every aspect of everyone's lives.

Posted by: jazzskeeter ( )
Date: September 24, 2011 02:39AM

Really? Consult with the bishop?? I can't believe all the things members have to get permission for.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.