Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Food_Storage ( )
Date: September 21, 2011 12:29PM

Something I've never understood about all the disaster preparedness, food storage, weapon stockpiling, bunkers, etc etc that is prevalent in the church--

Since they believe that they're in the one true church and if the world actually got that bad, why would they WANT to survive?

We're all going to die someday and if something like nuclear holocaust or Armageddon actually happened...aren't they going to go meet Joseph and Jesus anyway? Doesn't this just expedite meeting them so they can get their eternal reward, get out of a horrible existence and into 'joy everlasting'?

If you don't believe that stuff, I totally get that you want to preserve your life as long as possible, and fight off people who want to steal your food, etc.

But if one believes they're in the true church and heading for the celestial kingdom, what's the point? What am I missing?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: christieja ( )
Date: September 21, 2011 12:48PM

I couldn't agree with you more. I just had a laugh with my 13-year-old daughter about the 2012 bullcrap the Mormon's believe. We both agreed that the thought of surviving a world disaster only to live in our cold storage with the five of us for two damn years is unimaginable! We're hoping that when the end comes it's fast, quick and we all go together.

Once again I'm flabbergasted how Utah promotes this fear with advertisement all over I-15 and endless commercials for emergency supplies.

Posted by: Gorspel Dacktrin ( )
Date: September 21, 2011 10:07PM

that is led by an absolutely genuine, true and authentic "Prophet, Seer and Revelator." So how is it that their Marvelous Monphet, Monseer and Monsolator has nothing whatsoever to say about 2012? They have to look to various worldly gentile sources for their information about 2012.

They say actions speak louder than words. Most Mormons seem to be saying that they know that their prophet is pretty worthless, but they'll keep paying tithing just to cover their bases. ;o)

Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: September 21, 2011 01:10PM

All that preparedness hullabaloo is about creating FEAR of the future.

The LDS church is a doomsday church. "THE END IS NEAR" means members need to obey the leaders, spend their resources on nearly useless supplies (which the church just happens to sell), and be very suspicious of the outside world.

Instead of preparing for the REAL future, one in which people grow old, retire, etc., TBMs prepare the doom of the world by hoarding food they will never even eat. Food that wouldn't even help them in the event of a natural disaster because it requires extensive preparation or would be damaged (i.e. in a flood).

Don't get me wrong, I overstock my pantry. But I do it with food my family will eat before the expiration date.

No. Food storage is NOT about preparation. If it was, they would encourage members to keep an emergency fund instead. Money is portable. 750 pounds of wheat is not.

Posted by: lily ( )
Date: September 21, 2011 02:10PM

"No. Food storage is NOT about preparation. If it was, they would encourage members to keep an emergency fund instead. Money is portable. 750 pounds of wheat is not."

And no one is going to make money off of you saving for yourself. If I have a can of cash in my closet, who is making money off of that? But if you convince me that I need to invest in expensive, mass-produced "food storage" systems, someone is going to get rich making it. And I bet "someone" is Mormon...

Posted by: imalive ( )
Date: September 21, 2011 02:11PM

I can't stand all the pseudo hystrical crap I see on the Discovery Channels about 2012 et al. We all know that Sir Isaac Newton said the Second Coming will be by 2060 anyway, bwaa haa haa.

Posted by: notamomo ( )
Date: September 21, 2011 02:13PM

I guess that's why evangelicals don't do the food storage thing. They are all expecting to be taken up in the Rapture. I guess food storage is for the ones worried they'll be left behind.

Posted by: Jonny the Smoke ( )
Date: September 21, 2011 02:19PM

For a group that claims such a strong belief in an afterlife and a reward for the faithful....mormons sure seem to have a great fear of death.

My mom realized the church wasn't what it claimed by the time she died.....she went totally peacefully while she new she was dying.

My TBM dad "knew" the church was true, yet he showed a terrible fear of dying as he got closer.

Date: September 21, 2011 05:58PM

That's what I never understood, either, and I agree it comes down to a fear of death.

If you "KNOW" the church is true and thus you're storing your treasures in heaven, why not take an apocalyptic event as a wonderful blessing to get there even quicker??? Why stockpile preparations and fight it at all? Shouldn't you welcome it?!

If you really believe all this stuff, why not just live your life like a normal person and if/when an end of the world scenario happens...no worries...you get to meet Joseph and Jesus today.

RIGHT?!!

WTF

Posted by: serena ( )
Date: September 21, 2011 06:03PM

Posted by: Pooped ( )
Date: April 24, 2016 06:45PM

I'm riding my unicorn to Atlantis. Only those of us who own unicorns and have directions to Atlantis will survive. ; )

Posted by: I believed this once, years ago.. ( )
Date: September 21, 2011 07:24PM

I agree that TSCC is basically a doomsday cult. "Latter-Day" is kind of a tip-off.

I have a TBM relative that is married to a very, very difficult woman. Both are returned missionaries, so god should bless them twice over, right? Well, she is a nut, and their kids are wild. He is hanging on with his fingernails, praying every day for Jesus return, so he can finally cash in on his righteousness.

Posted by: missguided ( )
Date: September 21, 2011 07:27PM

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: September 21, 2011 07:56PM

You won't find any info directly from LDS Inc about storing weapons (I don't think). However, storing a year's worth of food and water doesn't make much sense unless you are expecting a complete collapse of civilization, and even then it doesn't make much sense.

For example, stored wheat requires a grinder to make much use of the wheat. If there are no grocery stores, and no water, what makes you think your electricity will be working to run that electric wheat mill? But I digress.

When I stated culling my mom's stash of inedible food recently, I went to the Church's web site to see what they said about under what conditions food should be discarded. Surprise, they have no information about that. But I did notice that they have scaled back their year's supply to a three month supply.

A three month supply is only a month or two over the top, IMHO. A year supply is just plain silly. They finally tacitly admitted that their old program was nuts. The really old days, that people like me and wings and Cabbie remember did have a TWO year supply program! But again, I digress.

As imaworkinonit said, it is not about preparation. Otherwise people would be told to keep a 3 month supply of cash. That is a lot more useful for pretty much any disaster short of a complete collapse of society.

Posted by: marco torres ( )
Date: September 21, 2011 08:16PM

Excellent point about electricity. If the sh$t hits the fan just because you have a bunch of worthless old food does not mean you have any better chance of survival.

Posted by: Gorspel Dacktrin ( )
Date: September 21, 2011 10:20PM

WHICH one or two-year period to prepare for. Instead, they have just been told to always be prepared--and have been so instructed for close to 70+ year (not counting the variations that preceded it). So, thanks to not having a real prophet, at least 2-to-3 generations of Mormons have wasted an enormous amount of money, time, effort and food preparing for something that never happened.

Eventually, there will be something that comes along, sooner or later. Then the Mormons will be filled with awe at the prophetic powers of their prophets, ignoring the fact that even a broken clock is absolutely accurate twice a day and the fact that you don't need a prophet to tell you that it's a good idea to be prepared for disasters. (Even the boy scouts tell you to be prepared.) A real prophet supposedly would be able to tell you WHAT to be prepared for and WHEN to expect it with some degree of accuracy and particularity. You don't need a prophet to tell you that at some time within the next century or so there will be some kind of disaster or difficulty in which having a year's supply of food may or may not be helpful to you. I mean puh-leeeeze! Do Mormons really think they're getting anything of value from their "Prophet" with that kind of advice??

Posted by: kjensen ( )
Date: April 24, 2016 07:44PM

Three months supply? When did that happen? I guess I haven't been paying attention. Yea, I remember the two year supply thing. Never thought that anyone had that much food laying around, we never did, it was just too expensive and time consuming to gather that much food, nobody would eat. Just think of the all the recent non-disasters, Y2K, 2012, etc., and you know what, everyday, people all over the world get up, make breakfast and go to work. It would take one hell of a disaster to stop the world from moving, and if such a disaster struck, it probably wouldn't matter how much food you had, we'd all be toast.

Date: September 21, 2011 08:12PM

Agreed, there isn't anything 'officially' from the church about stockpiling weapons but I certainly know plenty of folks who take the disaster preparedness to definitely include that.

I live in an affluent community and vividly remember during the LA riots that the talk at priesthood meeting was about having your food supply ready and your weapons ready to go, should you need to jump up on your roof to defend yourselves from those who aren't "pure and delightsome". :)

I thought the discussions were definitely wacko, even though I believed in the church back then. At the time, I felt that if the Lord was going to take me, He was going to take me and I wasn't going to go out shooting people and defending my "treasures on earth".

I didn't understand the mentality then and I still don't.

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: September 21, 2011 09:47PM

Look, the church does not urge anyone to save money for themselves. They might take that advice and not pay tithing. The only thing to do with money is SEND IT TO US FIRST.

Take the needy -- a single mother who lost her job, for example. She will be asked to pay tithing on the children's child support even though their dad already tithed on this money for his kids. She will be asked to pay even though the money isn't for her. She will be told it is her "increase" because she didn't have it before it arrived. She will be told she needs to tithe it again so she won't miss out on the Lord's blessings now when she needs it the most.

Here's how food storage helps them keep their cash flow flowing. If you go ask for help, they will look at your budget and line out the food money. Here's where you can still pay your tithing, they will say. You can start eating out of your year supply!

Husband in an accident and can't pay the mortgage? Use your food money and eat out of food storage.

Wife has cancer and need help to pay for child care? Use your food money and eat out of food storage.

Need gas money for an operation? Set up a payment plan with your food money and eat out of food storage.

Anagrammy

Anagrammy

Posted by: helpme ( )
Date: April 17, 2013 12:37AM

anagrammy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Look, the church does not urge anyone to save
> money for themselves. They might take that advice
> and not pay tithing. The only thing to do with
> money is SEND IT TO US FIRST.
>
> Take the needy -- a single mother who lost her
> job, for example. She will be asked to pay
> tithing on the children's child support even
> though their dad already tithed on this money for
> his kids. She will be asked to pay even though
> the money isn't for her. She will be told it is
> her "increase" because she didn't have it before
> it arrived. She will be told she needs to tithe
> it again so she won't miss out on the Lord's
> blessings now when she needs it the most.
>
> Here's how food storage helps them keep their cash
> flow flowing. If you go ask for help, they will
> look at your budget and line out the food money.
> Here's where you can still pay your tithing, they
> will say. You can start eating out of your year
> supply!
>
> Husband in an accident and can't pay the mortgage?
> Use your food money and eat out of food storage.
>
> Wife has cancer and need help to pay for child
> care? Use your food money and eat out of food
> storage.
>
> Need gas money for an operation? Set up a payment
> plan with your food money and eat out of food
> storage.
>
>
> Anagrammy
>
>
> Anagrammy

Posted by: Grounded in Reality ( )
Date: April 24, 2016 02:38PM

I wish people would worry as much about improving their future for themselves and their children as much as they do about preparing for disaster. Many disasters we are experiencing now are man made, climate related being only the beginning, and if we all learned to change our ways and live together peacefully, think of how wonderful this world would in fact truly be while we are here to enjoy it. Instead, we worry and prepare for the apocalypse. What a waste of life.

Posted by: orthodox ( )
Date: September 21, 2011 10:35PM

What is so funny in a sad way is that everyone knows that the Morg encourages members to store so much food and supplies. Wonder how long the grannies will keep their 750 lbs of wheat and beans when a hungry thug shows up with 750 .45 rounds and decides it's time for a meal. I imagine many people will thank the recently deceased Morg for keeping such well-stocked pantries!

Oh, and BTW, the Rapture as a theological teaching never shows up until 1830 or so (coincidences are so interesting!) in Glasgow, Scotland after a series of Pentecostal meetings featuring a Meg McDonald ("the fair Maid of Glasgow") who gave "estatic" utterances. One of which was basically about a "rapto" or snatching up. A guy by the name of Darby was involved who introduced the tyeaching into the Plymouth Brethern. Darby influenced C.I. Scofield who was asked by Oxford Press to write study notes for a new edition of the KJV. Scofield introdues Darby's thoughts into the footnotes of II Thessalonians Ch. 4 and thence into Protestant mythology. Even today the Schofield Study Bible is a fundamentalist Protestant mainstay...never been out of print by Oxford Press.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: September 21, 2011 10:48PM

...during the height of the Cold War and Cuban Missel Crisis, when we feared we could be nuked any moment. Even though I was a kid, I knew enough about the aftermath of nuclear war to know I didn't want to be one of the survivors. Rather than head for the fallout shelter, I'd rather go outside and be vaporized.

It's the same now with whatever post-apocalyptic scenario might happen. I don't want to live in a world with the survivalist folks.

Posted by: memphis ( )
Date: September 22, 2011 11:43AM

Being non LDS do I need to guess where this so called church suggests you buy this food from? or is the answer obvious

Posted by: Tupperwhere ( )
Date: April 17, 2013 12:40AM

I do have food storage in my basement. I'm not a crazy person, but I do think it's smart to have a few weeks supply. I don't own a gun though. I do have two large bottles of vodka downstairs though.....seriously.

Posted by: enoughenoch19 ( )
Date: April 17, 2013 12:42AM

If they really knew anything at all, they would have known that Mark Hofmann was a fake crooked criminal. What did they end up saying about him? What was their excuse? Or did they let it fade into the distance and hope it went away?

Posted by: kori ( )
Date: April 17, 2013 12:46AM

Fear is really the COB's main product. When you can scare someone and then tell then that if thy buy your product or listen to you this terrible thing will not happen...you are in control. This is the worse thing about the MORG: fear that you will not do one thing or another and then you will have a horrible life and go to hell.

Posted by: mia ( )
Date: April 17, 2013 12:55AM

If my parents had saved their food storage, building fund, fast offerings, missions, and tithing money, they would be in very good financial shape right now.

They aren't. They're now too old to ever recoup the huge losses. I can't hardly think about it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/17/2013 02:30AM by mia.

Posted by: mia ( )
Date: April 17, 2013 02:29AM

I never understood that on either.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: April 24, 2016 02:55PM

Google has a bunch of pages on how to survive the end of the world aka Armageddon... etc. There are a bunch of people who just assume it's going to happen in their lifetime.

I don't get it, either. Some preparedness is always a good idea: food, meds, flashlights, and all that usual stuff is just good planning. But the end of the world?

I figured that if it's the end of the world, all that stockpiled stuff is going to be useless anyhow.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: April 24, 2016 02:55PM

The end was near 50 years ago when girls were told in the PB's that they would raise their children in the millennium. Well, those girls died of old age or cancer (a disease prevalent in southern Alberta Mormon communities) the evil racist hate filled world keeps ticking away.

RB

Posted by: danielson ( )
Date: April 24, 2016 03:24PM

The cult leadership knows that it's a bunch of bs, and the world isn't going to end. They use it for fearmongering. I think the TBMs just do what they're told. Just like everything else, rational thought does not apply, and logic is scorned.

Posted by: Glo ( )
Date: April 24, 2016 07:33PM

I just heard of non-Mormon Germans stockpiling goods because they expect the euro currency to collapse shortly.

Guess EU was another one of those ideas you can file away under 'good ideas at the time.'

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.