Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: rt ( )
Date: September 06, 2011 04:23PM

On my website, I explain a few theories on the origin of the Book of Mormon. I start out, however, with "Mosiah's theorem about the origin of the Book of Mormon (Mosiah being my temple name, now my screen name):

"Regardless which theory is formulated about the origin of the Book of Mormon, it will always have to compete with the official Mormon theory that Joseph Smith received 1,400-year old gold plates from an angel, which he translated from a theretofore unknown language by means of magic rocks in a hat.

In other words: regardless which theory is formulated about the origin of the Book of Mormon, in order to be rejected it must, at a minimum, be less likely than the official Mormon theory."

http://www.mormonisme.nl/2009/11/mosiahs-theorema-aangaande-de-oorsprong.html

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: baura ( )
Date: September 06, 2011 06:04PM

This where it gets really weird with Mormons (and flying-saucer enthusiasts and fans of psychics like Uri Geller etc.) When you show alternate, prosaic, explanations they dismiss it with some variation on "how likely is that?"

Well almost ANYTHING is more likely than "An angel appeared and told him where to find gold plates which he translated with a rock in a hat."

Posted by: 3X ( )
Date: September 06, 2011 09:01PM

-->Well almost ANYTHING is more likely than "An angel appeared and told him where to find gold plates which he translated with a rock in a hat."

Including: the BoM was delivered unto mankind's hands by space aliens.*

* Space aliens with a fondness for kitsch.

Posted by: Don Bagley ( )
Date: September 06, 2011 09:58PM

Remember that Twilight Zone episode in which some aliens had a book that was titled "To Serve Man?" It turned out it was a cookbook.

Maybe the Book of Mormon was given to us to soften up our brains so we'll make good soup stock.

Posted by: nebularry ( )
Date: September 06, 2011 10:16PM

And then it occurred to me that the most plausible explanation for the BoM is that Joseph Smith came up with the idea and then, with a little help from his friends, got the book published. The rest, as they say, is made up history.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.