Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: HopiBon ( )
Date: September 06, 2011 09:07AM

I live in Lindon, Utah and have for the last 15 years. I can't imagine a place less diverse than here. I know Highland is only a few miles away, but is there any hope that I might find a slightly more diverse group of people by moving there?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: nonmo ( )
Date: September 06, 2011 09:08AM

HopiBon Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I live in Lindon, Utah and have for the last 15
> years. I can't imagine a place less diverse than
> here. I know Highland is only a few miles away,
> but is there any hope that I might find a slightly
> more diverse group of people by moving there?

EVERYTHING is closed on Sun...except for gas stations....

Posted by: mav ( )
Date: September 06, 2011 09:11AM

afford their starter castles I guess since I have seen at least 2 arrested for Ponzi schemes that lived there.

Posted by: ginger ( )
Date: September 06, 2011 09:59AM

I don't know about Highland but my TBM friend lives in Alpine and she said it is so very Mormon. There are very large families there too, like 5 kids or more. She fits right in.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: September 06, 2011 11:18AM

very few businesses, and almost all of them are closed on Sunday. There are lower cost parts of town, and a few condos, but it is pretty much an expensive bedroom community. If diversity is the goal, Highland is not the solution. Ditto Cedar Hills and Alpine, though there is a hint of a city center in Alpine which gives it a little bit of a soul.

Highland's downtown is centered around Kohler's grocery store and Kountry Korners gas station diagonally across the main intersection. I kid you not. It has the soul of a strip mall, and not a very good strip mall at that.

You want diversity? Try Lehi. Better shopping there too. Even American Fork (gaack) or Provo have more diversity than Highland. Seriously - Provo.

Posted by: badseed ( )
Date: September 06, 2011 11:34AM

My sister used to live there and it felt pretty hardcore LDS.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: September 06, 2011 11:54AM

...so it can't be all hard-core TBM.

Posted by: caedmon ( )
Date: September 06, 2011 12:04PM

I live in Lindon, too! My non-Mormon boss lives in Highland. He likes it, but would move to Salt Lake if his wife were agreeable.

Posted by: lamesauce ( )
Date: September 06, 2011 01:40PM

Posted by: lamesauce ( )
Date: September 06, 2011 01:41PM

Posted by: Tabula Rasa ( )
Date: September 06, 2011 01:42PM

Alpine's gorgeous. I'd live there in a flash. Foothills of the Wasatch. Love it.

Ron

Posted by: BrightAqua ( )
Date: September 06, 2011 02:30PM

I'm sure he's not the only one.

Posted by: elee ( )
Date: September 06, 2011 02:27PM

I left in 1986. During the 70s and 80s, Highland was the place for artists, mormon and non-mormon alike, to live. Consequently, it attracted far more of the liberal mormon type than the conservative TBM.

However, even though I believe that those liberal mormons did change the place up a bit, by diluting the TBMness of the place, there are still many devout TBMs there.

This IS Utah Valley, after all.

Posted by: toto ( )
Date: September 07, 2011 07:48PM

Posted by: mav ( )
Date: September 07, 2011 08:15PM

Posted by: Sky ( )
Date: September 08, 2011 07:02AM

I like this one, stop complaining, or get out of utah. Right?

Posted by: notmonotloggedin ( )
Date: August 07, 2017 10:19AM

how unnecessary all the "Mormon hassle" is.

Posted by: frankie ( )
Date: September 08, 2011 01:02AM

does anybody knoow the scoresby's from highland, they think they are TBM royalty

Posted by: sort of more anon this time ( )
Date: September 08, 2011 02:04AM

He used to be my home teacher. For probably a year.

I think he has a talent for irritating people. I had a couple of friends in the area make comments about him. Glad I don't have to deal with him anymore. His wife seemed nice enough.

Last I heard, he was in the stake presidency.

Posted by: frankie ( )
Date: September 08, 2011 03:10AM

wow, he is definately annoying. he thinks he is a know it all because he is TBM and his phys teachings. he tries to imcorporate the more extreme TBM your are, the better your mental health

Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: September 08, 2011 02:12AM

And my opinion is that Highland is less extreme TBM. I think people are more accepting of differences, and not so letter-of-the-law. Of course there are probably stalwarts in every neighborhood, but I think there are more people just playing along to get along in Highland.

I could be wrong, but that's my take on it. I get the impression that people are more mellow in Highland than Alpine, BTW.

Posted by: Rowell back ( )
Date: September 08, 2011 02:26AM

He was in the bishopric at the time and was fooling around with one of the young women in his ward who had graduated from high school and was 21. She confessed in her missionary interview and he was exed.

Ironically, when the bishop he served under was called in by the Stake Pres and told someone in the bishopric was having sex with someone other than their spouse, the bishop confessed he was having an affair with his secretary. So they were both exed and the stake presidency announced it in sacrament meeting. Bishop Lamar Hatch was an asshat about masturbation with the youth so it made it even more ironic. I think he just liked to hear them recount their stories and was getting off on it.

Ed eventually divorced and left the church after getting rebaptized while Hatch reconciled with his wife and stayed in after getting baptized a year later. I think they eventually moved to Alpine since the ward was always awkward around him after that.

One of my good friends lived in the 9th ward back then.

Posted by: scott lucky ( )
Date: August 05, 2017 01:12PM

Ed Scott here, former mayor of Highland. Rowell back, you didn't get your facts quite right, except that I did leave the church, got divorced and moved on with my life.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: August 05, 2017 01:14PM

Good for you. Happy trails and thanks for the update.

(Nothing like getting an update on a thread from 2011!)

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: August 07, 2017 09:45AM

Good for you Ed Scott, and congratulations on your exit out.

Posted by: Mnemonic ( )
Date: September 08, 2011 02:49AM

box of Uncle Ben's white rice.

Posted by: Don Bagley ( )
Date: September 08, 2011 04:21AM

Debating the culture and lifestyle of small towns in Utah is like fishing for turtles on the moon.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: September 08, 2011 06:01AM

Inspired even.

I always enjoy your posts

All the best

Tom - a fan

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: August 05, 2017 08:15PM

For whatever its worth I was told Alpine was 98% Mormon while Highland did not quite meet that goal.

All I know for sure is that living in either one would make for endless stories to tell if one could stomach it.

Posted by: Alpiner ( )
Date: August 06, 2017 11:18PM

I know several ex-Mormons in Alpine. I've lived here for 6 years and have zero issues with being ex-Mormon in the community.

No complaints.

Posted by: midwestanon ( )
Date: August 07, 2017 08:09AM

At least Alpine has natural beauty as a redeeming quality. What does Highland have except for a high-school that constantly makes the national news for insane stories about modesty or people wearing prom dresses that are deemed inappropriate?

Funny thing is I know several people who went to that High School, including my ex-girlfriend. Lone Peak, I wanna say. She told me some stories.

Also, riddle me this: I have noticed that whenever I've been in Lindon Utah, I have noticed a strange and pervasive smell, almost like a bunch of Buffalo chips being set on fire inside a wooden barn. Has anyone else noticed anything like this?

Also Lindon is a trashy town.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/07/2017 08:10AM by midwestanon.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.