Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: amos ( )
Date: November 06, 2010 12:55PM

Many years ago my never-active brother commented on the fallacy of a "white Jesus" on the cover of Time magazine. I got a little defensive (as I was TBM at the time so I "knew" that Jesus was in fact white) and argued that actually Jews of Jesus' era were white and he very likely could have looked like that.

Now...

DW just brought home a stack of white Jesus cards to pass out in RS...

...and it BUGS me.

Mormons swear up and down they're not racist. Are too!

Book of Mormon still says "cursed with a skin of blackness" despite GBH saying "look, that's behind us". Jesus pictures are still universally white. Nothing but token blacks among the general authorities, none in the twelve, ever. Blacks are only patronized.

Racial equality is THE most important advance in the history of the United States, and the church was on the WRONG side!

Disclaimer: I'm white and no black has ever asked/needed a favor from me. My objection is actually scientific. The "gospel" teaches that Adam and Eve were white and that blacks were blackened by God after-the-fact. Bull sh1t. Black skin predates white skin by millions of years. White skin is nothing more than the gradual deletion of pigment genes in the population after migrating to northern latitudes where they're not protective.

So, even though the church I'm sure admits that skin color is arbitrary to the gospel, the question remains, why is Jesus white when most of world's population aren't?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: jpt ( )
Date: November 06, 2010 01:28PM

You can go to deseret book, and get a white, Fabian-looking jesus sitting pensively next to a river with tall, snow-covered mountains in background.

In the land of triangles, God has three sides. (Sorry, can't reference it...)

Posted by: dr5 ( )
Date: November 06, 2010 01:31PM

he probably looked something like Adam Sandler.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.