Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Ex-CultMember ( )
Date: November 06, 2010 01:25AM

How to keep Mormons away:

Missionaries or Ward Members: "Hello Sister can we come in to share a message about Jesus Christ with you?"

You: Sure, but only if I can share with you an equal amount of time SOME ANTI-MORMON LITERATURE.

And watch them head for the hills faster than you can say 'blood atonement.'

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Needs Encouragement ( )
Date: November 06, 2010 03:00AM

Hey, you sure about that one? I am still trying to get rid of missionaries...

Date: November 06, 2010 02:55PM

Well, on my mission (I actually served in SLC) whenever we came to the door of a person who tried to preach to us "anti" stuff, my companions would always say, "well I see you have your mind made up" and then leave, marking on their tracting records "anti."

No missionaries I knew wanted to bother tangling with someone who was "anti." It's like cryptonite to these guys. Their scared of the stuff and think a person is trying to de-convert them if they try to share their "information" with them.

I say buy, or download, Mormonism-Shadow or Reality, have about 30 minutes of good quotes highlighted, and make it requisite for them if they are to come in your house to preach to you, that you have equal amount of time to share with them what YOU learned about the church. If they don't agree then tell them its a deal breaker. I almost guarantee they will give up on you rather than endure hearing scary "anti" stuff.

Posted by: primarypianist ( )
Date: May 06, 2016 12:04AM

That is obviously something they teach missionaries to say when confronted by "anti Mormons."
Shortly after we left, we got visits from the missionaries at least once a month. I was usually not home when they came by, so my husband always dealt with them.
On one occasion, the sister missionaries came by and they asked him if they could come in to have a discussion. He said, "Sure, but I'm more likely to change your mind, than you are to change mine." They then said, "Well, it sounds like you have your mind made up," and left. We have not seen the missionaries since, so maybe it worked.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/06/2016 12:06AM by primarypianist.

Posted by: mountainbike ( )
Date: May 06, 2016 12:52AM

Just tell them you're having reeeeally good premarital sex. Throw in having an amazing threesome for shits and giggles.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: November 06, 2010 05:19AM

Here's my opinion.

Those who want to educate mormons need to invite them in and share information. "Come in. Let's talk."

Whoever wants to get rid of them needs to give that clear message by saying it, writing it, getting the police to help, hosing, whatever it takes. "You are not welcome here. Leave now and don't come back."

I don't favor passive/aggressive or using manipulative or dishonest tactics to either educate or get rid of mormons.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/06/2010 05:21AM by Cheryl.

Posted by: Nick Humphrey ( )
Date: November 06, 2010 08:53AM

Cheryl Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I don't favor passive/aggressive or using
> manipulative or dishonest tactics to either
> educate or get rid of mormons.

but this is how they learn =)

Date: November 06, 2010 10:54AM

Some people think it's their job to help mormons learn. If so, fine, go for it.

Others think it's their job to live their lives and let mormons do the same.

I think it's healthier to be honest and upfront in life, including with mormons. Playing games is not being authentic. It's unhealthy for everyone all the way around.

Date: November 06, 2010 04:17PM

> I don't favor passive/aggressive or using
> manipulative or dishonest tactics to either
> educate or get rid of mormons.

> I think it's healthier to be honest and upfront in life, >including with mormons. Playing games is not being authentic. >It's unhealthy for everyone all the way around.

I agree, but I don't see how telling missionaries/Mormons, that you'll agree they can come in and 'teach' you what they believe about THEIR religion, as long as YOU can do the SAME, is being "passive/aggressive," "manipulative," "dishonest," or "playing games."

I agree what I said in my original post is kind of a snarky remark, but its pretty up front, honest AND EFFECTIVE. You're telling them EXACTLY what to expect if they wish come in YOUR house and push their religion on you. You can even be nice and friendly when you say it.

Also, as I pointed out in another post, on my mission, if it weren't for people sharing what they learned with me about Mormonism from their "anti-Mormon" books, I'd probably still be Mormon today.

Date: November 06, 2010 06:27PM

Is that right? If so, perhaps you should tell them that.

If not and you want to educate them, then inviting them in to talk a good idea.

It is playing a game to invite them in to talk if the reason you're doing it is to manipulate them into staying away.

Posted by: notmonotloggedin ( )
Date: May 05, 2016 08:44PM

Is that splitting hairs just bit? So you are willing to educate them if they will listen and if not, they don't come back.

That's not being manipulative

Posted by: sisterexmo ( )
Date: November 08, 2010 02:45PM

Whats wrong with doing a quid pro quo? Fair enough is it not.?

My brother used to handle JW callers at the door by offering to take their Watchtower if they would take a BOM for free.

Never had any takers on that.

I prefer my own heartfelt: Get outta here with that crap.

Posted by: Forgetting Abigail ( )
Date: May 05, 2016 04:10PM

I offered the JWs a BOM once and they took it! Never came back though, so yeah.

Posted by: Santa Claus ( )
Date: November 06, 2010 06:14PM

A lump of coal for you this year.

Date: November 06, 2010 09:32PM

Posted by: daylehudson4936@gmail.com ( )
Date: May 05, 2016 04:01PM

Cheryl Wrote:
> n/t just say thank you for carding but I am a christian and I do know Jesus Christ. Close the door

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: November 06, 2010 09:22AM

Seems to work for us!

I've shared the truth with missionies and had numerous conversations with the Bishop and Stake Prez. The sisters have had my wife tell them about MMM and how BP/SP/70's all participated.

Nobody has touched our door for well over a year.

Posted by: Barristiababe ( )
Date: November 06, 2010 11:30AM

Try telling them that, if they want to leave the mission, you know of people who can help them, and ways they can get home. If they go back and report it to the mission prez, he might not risk sending anymore to your door just in case!!!

Posted by: Master C ( )
Date: November 06, 2010 12:40PM

Posted by: Nick Humphrey ( )
Date: November 06, 2010 02:54PM

say "theistic" satanist:
http://theisticsatanism.com

they believe in a real satan, whereas laveyan satanists don't:
http://churchofsatan.com

btw, has anyone here read the satanic bible? i read it last christmas vacation =)

Posted by: dayle ( )
Date: May 05, 2016 04:06PM

That is just stupid and not helpfull

Posted by: Forgetting Abigail ( )
Date: May 05, 2016 04:10PM

My brother did that. No more Mormons.

Posted by: anony ( )
Date: November 06, 2010 04:12PM

My nevermo friend who lives near SLC got so sick of them one day that he opened the door butt naked when they rang. I believe it worked for him!

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: November 06, 2010 09:58PM

anony Wrote:
> My nevermo friend who lives near SLC got so sick
> of them one day that he opened the door butt naked
> when they rang. I believe it worked for him!

Oh, yeah. I can picture the scene, now!

"So, when the doorbell rang, I thought it was the Mormon missionaries, so I answered the door butt naked! And, you can imagine the surprise I had when I saw those two Girl Guides, collecting for their appeal!"

"And that, your honour, is the case for the defence."

<snort!>

Posted by: Topper ( )
Date: November 08, 2010 11:51AM

Posted by: Topper ( )
Date: November 08, 2010 02:17PM

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: November 08, 2010 02:29PM

Say "No, thank you" and shut the door. It works every single time, and they won't even remember you, because that's what 99% of the rest of the world does.

Posted by: martinf ( )
Date: November 08, 2010 03:04PM

One time I had the misfortune to deal with a couple of especially zealous (or annoying, depending on your point of view) mishies.

Finally I said: "Right. You've convinced me of the importance of the afterlife. I'll now go and find myself a nice Jewish girl to marry so at least our kids will enjoy it."

Date: May 05, 2016 04:53PM

I just tell them to leave and not come back. If they say they won't go, I threaten to turn on the garden hose and aim. That works me better than anything.

Posted by: getbusylivin ( )
Date: May 05, 2016 07:30PM

It's good to have to say "no."

Assertiveness is a handy skill to have, and to practice. Often in our lives we fail to use it enough.

So, a special thank you to missionaries, bishops bearing callings, and other buttinsky Mormoids. With your help I'm starting to get good at this "NO!" business.

Posted by: fortheloveofhops ( )
Date: May 05, 2016 09:17PM

There is something to that. It's good to learn to say NO. And not feel bad about it. No means no. No is a complete sentence.

It's empowering too, if the other party respects you enough to take NO for an answer.

In my case, I said NO for 15 years after they tracked me down and targeted me at my home.

No, I'm not interested at all
No, I will not accept your "free gift"
No, I will not accept your plate of baked goods
No, I will not respond to the demands you sent through the mail to meet with me or give you my personal contact information!
No, I will not attend your meetings
No, there is nothing you can do for me
I am on the NO CONTACT list

Over and over.

Sure, each one of them left, but new faces always came to take their places. And sometimes they would show up when I was gone and leave stuff on my porch. Or send me things through the mail. At the point when I realized they absolutely did not respect me, and saying NO made me feel powerless instead of empowered (because I knew they would not listen) it was time to change "No" to something they could not ignore. I didn't do it specifically to stop them from coming, but "I resign" seems to have done the trick so far.

After I resigned, they didn't come with a Christmas message. Or a birthday message (not even through the mail! Woot!) Or within a few weeks of conference. First time I've been left alone around those dates since they first targeted my address.

So... If No doesn't do it (even though it should), I Resign might!!

Edited to add: We even started handing out printed copies of the CES letter, and they still came!! All I can think is the people who took them maybe didn't mention it to the Bishop or something... Or maybe those copies did some good and helped someone else out. I'll never know, I guess. I hope it did some good.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/05/2016 09:25PM by fortheloveofhops.

Posted by: readwrite ( )
Date: May 05, 2016 10:07PM

Better than the 'Paradise is hell to Mormons' (My home is paradise) sign on the door?

Posted by: Boggles ( )
Date: May 06, 2016 01:11AM

..is it true what they say about the members they send on missions to SLC?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.