Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: ExMorgbot ( )
Date: November 05, 2010 05:06PM

So i've been thinking about it, and strongly considering posting my own "testimony" of the church and what I believe in regards to the Mormon church.

I must admit, this would be dangerous ground for me. I have a lot of LDS family members. It would create tension. However, "The spirit" is calling me to speak up. : D

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Rebecca ( )
Date: November 05, 2010 05:38PM

Posted by: Anon ( )
Date: November 05, 2010 09:28PM

Posted by: ExMorgbot ( )
Date: November 05, 2010 10:10PM

Yeah, I should have clarified. This post is a response to the group on facebook who is having a mass testimony posting on facebook.

Posted by: jwood ( )
Date: November 05, 2010 10:21PM

Why not, even if your testimony doesn't conform to the other peoples it is still your own personally testimony. Your testimony is very sacred and what the hell why not share it with the world. They have a right to know the truth.

Posted by: anon for this ( )
Date: November 05, 2010 10:32PM

Of course you should. I feel that any "testimony" of truth is a valid and worthwhile testimony. You may plant some seeds. But be very specific. That is the only way to get their attention. Don't say general stuff. Good luck and let us know when someone responds.

Posted by: Smokey ( )
Date: November 05, 2010 11:24PM

* I Know that there are at least 7 very different versions of the first vision; and that the one in Joseph's hand writing is nothing like the official version we use today.

* I know that Joseph's translation of the Book of Abraham has been repeatedly proven to NOT BE what the scrolls actually said by multiple independent experts.

* I know that there is no evidence that ANYTHING contained in the book of Mormon actually happened; and that there is a great deal of strong evidence that it did not happen.

* I know that there is strong evidence Joseph Smith told a 14 year old that her entire family would be exalted if she agreed to marry him.

* I know that the church has a known regular pattern of hiding the full truth from its members and can provide multiple examples; some as recent as Summer 2010

* I know that a prophet of God (the ones who will never lead us astray) COMPLETELY missed the Identify of God himself for a period of at least 40 years.

* I know that as soon as the Book of Mormon as completed, Joseph Smith tried to sell the copyright to the "most perfect book on Earth" to a canadian publisher.

* I know that almost every single actual prophesy made by the prophets of this generation has failed to come true.

* I know that the church is actually, literally, a corporation with significant holdings, and presidents rather than prophets.

* I know that modern prophets have repeatedly denied and minimized the teachings of previous prophets (the same ones who will never lead us astray).

* I know that absolutely none of the unique teachings and practices of modern Mormonism were contained in the "Most complete Book on Earth"; the Book of Mormon.

* I know that the Mormon Idea of the Godhood was a product of theological evolution that occured long after the First Vision.

* I know that the teachings and practices of modern Mormonism has very little in common with the teachings of Jesus Christ in the new Testament.

Posted by: anon ( )
Date: November 06, 2010 12:11AM

Those are great...to the point and accurate.

Posted by: Jon ( )
Date: November 06, 2010 05:08AM

Summer 2010?
What did I miss?

Posted by: Smokey ( )
Date: November 06, 2010 01:37PM

I was referring to the official statement this summer regarding the teaching of blood atonement in response to the media attention to the teaching/practice. There was a guy (sorry, no time to research specifics right now) who wanted to be executed by a firing squad in Utah.

The church issued a statement that was very misleading and basically downplayed the teaching and the level of authority of those who taught it.

They essentially said that there was a time when everyone spoke with more passion than the situation may have warrented...and that during that time, SOME church members and SOME leaders taught the doctrine of blood atonement.

SOME church leaders??!!?!?!?! That was taught by the big Kahuna himself (no, not Jesus Christ) Brigham Freaking Young! You know....God's sole spokesman on Earth. The guy in the position that will never lead you astray and who you teach your children to follow regardless of common sense or personal objection. The guy to whom church members owe absolute, unquestioning obedience.

Very dishonest of the church....a half-truth if there ever was one.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: November 06, 2010 06:51AM

Do you want the trouble this will cause? Are you thinking others will seek the truth because of your choice to leave the morg?

People tend to leave when they feel the need and not usually because of someone else's decision.

Posted by: michael ( )
Date: November 06, 2010 07:44AM

I'm doing it, when I'm not doing other things.

Posted by: michael ( )
Date: November 06, 2010 07:56AM

Well, I started posting an "anti-testimony," but got stopped after doing about 20 of them. It's up to someone else to take the mantle and continue the posting.

Posted by: The StalkerDog™ ( )
Date: November 06, 2010 02:01PM

I think I would post that I was leaving because it was turning into nothing but a place for religion stuff. People's agendas and not just a social thing.

I would post that all over and then I'd close all my facebook stuff. You know make a statement and then leave.

But I'm not, so...............

Are me and my mom the only non-facebookies left??????

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/06/2010 02:02PM by The StalkerDog™.

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: November 06, 2010 02:05PM

I am hoping my friends will not choose to do this. So far only one has said anything that could be regarded as a testimony and it was fairly mild. I do not know the guy well and haven't seen him since high school. I chose to ignore it as did most others. If it gets too bad, I'll stay off Facebook for a day. I don't want to lose any friends over this and since I dislike people who wear their beliefs on their sleeves, I refuse to join in and do the same thing. To each his own.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.