Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Cristina ( )
Date: August 23, 2011 06:30PM

If this has already been talked about, I apologize. But hot sauce beanie mommy was convicted in Alaska.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/08/23/us-crime-mother-trial-idUSTRE77M8JZ20110823

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: August 23, 2011 06:33PM

Posted by: knotheadusc ( )
Date: August 23, 2011 06:37PM

It'll be interesting to see what kind of punishment she'll get.

Date: August 23, 2011 06:40PM

Or more importantly, what will happen to the twin boys.

Date: August 23, 2011 06:49PM

Yes, that's true... although I'd hate to see them end up in foster care. I really hope it's true they're getting competent care from someone who knows what they're doing.

Posted by: searching27 ( )
Date: August 23, 2011 06:50PM

video the abuse... I mean if that isn't giving her an opportunity to do it. I mean I know she was doing it anyway... but jeez. Asking her to please video her abusing a child... it just seems so wrong... all the more reasons why I don't watch Dr. Phil

Date: August 23, 2011 06:51PM

The whole thing stinks. Why on earth would you ask someone to do that, and why on earth would she comply?

Posted by: SilkRose (not logged in) ( )
Date: August 23, 2011 06:55PM

She was under the impression that she is an AWESOME mom and was in TOTAL control and wanted to showcase her great parenting skills to others.

As for the show, remember that it was her other child that video taped this...not the camera people for the show. So, they really didn't condone or allow it to happen.

Its pretty disturbing...and the most disturbing is that she actually sees NOTHING wrong with her actions...

I hope those children go to someone who actually cares for them and can do so properly.

Sick...

Date: August 23, 2011 06:56PM

Exactly... I don't understand why a mom would purposely exaggerate her punishments just to get on Dr. Phil or why a man who purports to be against abuse would encourage a mom to do that. I have no idea what she thought the outcome of this would be when she made the decision to take part.

Date: August 23, 2011 07:02PM

In the article I read on Yahoo... she is claiming they asked her to film it.... hmmmmmm either way she is crazy and needs her ass handed to her. I say make her swish hot sauce and toss her into a freezing cold shower.

She is totally sick and I noticed she didn't seem to really have remorse about it. Those poor children

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/23/2011 07:05PM by searching27.

Date: August 23, 2011 07:04PM

She was under the impression that the show was about showcasing her GREAT parenting abilities and discipline methods.

Either way, she is one effed up individual who deserves EVERYTHING done to her that she did to those kids.

Date: August 23, 2011 07:05PM

the impression that she had "awesome disciplining skills" wow

Posted by: SILKROSE (not logged in) ( )
Date: August 23, 2011 07:07PM

Posted by: missguided ( )
Date: August 23, 2011 06:51PM

Date: August 23, 2011 06:53PM

Followed by a nice, long, cold shower!

Posted by: SILKROSE (not logged in) ( )
Date: August 23, 2011 06:52PM

"While the punishment methods broadcast on "Dr. Phil" may be controversial and upsetting to some, they do not rise to the level of a crime, Ingaldson told jurors."

"It's not child abuse. It's not an offense to punish someone because people on a jury say they would do it differently," he said.

While agree that just because someone else would do something differently does not make an action child abuse...This attorney needs to review his own state statutes..

DEFINITIONS
Alaska Stat. ยง 47.17.290 (Lexis, WESTLAW through 2000 3rd Spec. Sess.)

'Child' means a person under 18 years of age.

'Child abuse or neglect' means the physical injury or neglect, mental injury, sexual abuse, sexual exploitation, or maltreatment of a child under the age of 18 by a person under circumstances that indicate that the child's health or welfare is harmed or threatened thereby. In this paragraph, 'mental injury' means an injury to the emotional well-being, or intellectual or psychological capacity of a child, as evidenced by an observable and substantial impairment in the child's ability to function.

Pretty sure, that pouring several teaspoons of hot sauce down a child's throat and forcing them into a freezing cold shower would constitute as maltreatment. I'm also pretty certain that the child's emotional well-being, and psychological capacity, as evidenced by the OBSERVABLE and SUBSTANTIAL impairment shown in the video.

Posted by: Carol Y. ( )
Date: August 23, 2011 07:00PM

They were about ages nine and seven. I actually feared for my life with the older boy. After three tries I had to drop that family, the only clients I ever dropped. Looking back now, it appears that he had Reactive Attachment Disorder, too.

Date: August 23, 2011 07:02PM

Overseas, or local adoptions and/or foster care should only be done after the families have had EXTENSIVE training and FULLY understand RAD as much as possible....

Date: August 23, 2011 07:04PM

Date: August 23, 2011 08:59PM

Originally, the story was that his show puts out feelers for all kinds of issues and people who want to be on the show send in videos. SHE ASKED HER 10 YEAR OLD DAUGHTER TO VIDEO TAPE her disciplining this child to send to Dr. Phil to show how she disciplines an out of control child.

When he got it, he asked her to come on the show for a different show about moms who are at their wits end with a child they don't know how to discipline. She then agreed to that even though it was different than what she intended and she went along with his advice that she needed help. She just wanted to be on the show. When the show aired she started saying she had asked for help but that was not the original reason she sent in the tape. (All this was on Dr. Phil's page when it first aired.)

Posted by: robertb ( )
Date: August 23, 2011 09:34PM

people who are hurting psychologically and emotionally. One of the news articles states he is a licensed therapist. That is not true. He does not hold a psychology license. If he were a licensed psychologist, his behavior would likely cause his license to be pulled.

Date: August 23, 2011 10:17PM

I take you didn't enjoy his Britney Spears "Intervention?"

I'm not a fan either...I don't like TV therapy. I'm ambivalent about whether he's really exploiting people though but you would know better than I.

Some people do like airing their dramas for an audience though...

Dr. Phil did have a license until he retired it in 2006--he did practice as a psychologist for many years.

The Britney Spears intervention for TV without her consent was totally inappropriate for sure.

Posted by: dogzilla ( )
Date: August 24, 2011 02:55PM

A licensed therapist is not the same thing as a licensed psychologist. You don't have to be a psychologist to be a licensed therapist. You can have an MS in social work (MSW) and be a licensed therapist. That doesn't mean you know squat about psychology, but there it is. That's why finding a good therapist is a bit of a crapshoot.

Date: August 24, 2011 03:14PM

Actually, I have an MSW and I was required to take psychology classes as well as counseling classes to get that degree. I also had to do a year long internship in direct practice social work. I would have had to do a second direct practice internship, except I did not concentrate in micro social work, which is what social workers who want to be therapists must declare as their concentration. My focus was on macro social work-- working with groups and communities (management)-- so my second internship was devoted to management and grant writing.

Had I wanted to be a clinical social worker, I would have had to do a second internship in direct practice, then sit for the first of two national exams. The first exam would have gotten me licensed to practical general social work. I would have had to have at least two more years of supervised training to sit for the second (clinical) exam, which would have qualified me to practice alone as a therapist. And then after that, I would have had to attend continuing education programs to keep my license.

Social workers can be competent therapists, though their focus is different from that of psychologists, licensed counselors, or marriage and family therapists.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/24/2011 03:15PM by knotheadusc.

Posted by: dogzilla ( )
Date: August 24, 2011 02:54PM

And now she's spinning it like she was so overwhelmed and desperate for help that she pled and begged and tried to get on Dr. Phil several times.

Which brings into question, why didn't she just spend that time and energy finding a good therapist to help her work with those kids?

Date: August 23, 2011 09:03PM

But there was a recent article that said she claimed the producers had told her her videos were too tame.

Perhaps she just said that so it would look like Dr. Phil was to blame. Even if the producers had said such a thing, she made the decision to go along with it. Even if she just made it look more extreme-- just that once-- it was still very questionable. And the way that boy was reacting, I got the sense this was not the first time he was subjected to hot sauce and cold showers.

Date: August 23, 2011 09:19PM

Date: August 23, 2011 09:26PM

I don't know where the hot sauce idea came from, the the cold showers idea reportedly came from her police officer husband -- it was how they dealt with non-compliant people in his line of work. So, it's going to be great with small children! Yeah.

Date: August 23, 2011 09:30PM

He said it was tactic used in the military. My husband has been in the military for over 20 years and he has never heard of cold showers being used that way...

The hot sauce thing has been used before... Lisa Whelchel (aka Blair Warner on "The Facts of Life") famously wrote about using hot sauce in a book she wrote about creative discipline. She got a lot of flack for it, if I recall correctly.

Date: August 23, 2011 09:38PM

Thanks for the additional information. I can't believe they thought either ideas were appropriate.

Posted by: The Motrix ( )
Date: August 24, 2011 11:27AM

Thanks for posting this, Cristina. It helps me to understand how off my own parents were. They should have gotten years in the pen while my dad served as bishop and we pretended to be the perfect family. Forty years later, it still bothers the hell out of me too many days of the year.

Date: August 24, 2011 04:58PM

Posted by: bignevermo ( )
Date: August 24, 2011 11:36AM

then i remembered it is in Alaska where the tap water is prolly below 40 degrees F.... so that is REALLY cold.... and hot sauce in the mouth??? well that wouldnt work in Mexico!! i worked in Mexico where they grow the habanero pepper...the kids there would prolly like it!
guess i had it good with the belt and fists!!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.