Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: November 05, 2010 12:34PM

-
 This article from the Mayo Clinic on the Power of Forgiveness, (link below) applies directly to how I live my daily life, and specifically to some of my process in leaving Mormonism as initially, I had left over emotional angst over how unfairly I was treated at times, including some experiences that were very diffi. (To be clear, it was not only negative feelings about some situations/ people in the LDS Church, it was people in my family and in my work situations.)
I often say: human behavior is consistent, just the faces change.

From the article:
"When someone you care about hurts you, you can hold on to anger, resentment and thoughts of revenge or embrace forgiveness and move forward.

What are the benefits of forgiving someone?
Researchers have recently become interested in studying the effects of being unforgiving and being forgiving. Evidence is mounting that holding on to grudges and bitterness results in long-term health problems. Forgiveness, on the other hand, offers numerous benefits, including:

Lower blood pressure
Stress reduction
Less hostility
Better anger management skills
Lower heart rate
Lower risk of alcohol or substance abuse
Fewer depression symptoms
Fewer anxiety symptoms
Reduction in chronic pain
More friendships
Healthier relationships
Greater religious or spiritual well-being
Improved psychological well-being

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/forgiveness/MH00131

Simply put:
Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned.
- Buddha

It's interesting what pops in your head in a crisis situation.
I spent my life as a believing Christian, Mormon convert learning, among other things concepts from scriptures in the Bible.

One that popped into my head recently when confronted with extreme, invasive, disturbing behavior was:
Father, forgive them, for they know not what they do. (Luke 23:34) These are Jesus' words from the cross, asking forgiveness for those who put him to death.
More widely, of course, the plea was for all humanity.

I don't know why that came to my mind, except it was a concept that was drilled into my psyche from a young age and came bubbling to the top when I needed an answer to how to handle a very difficult situation, one never confronted before.

That led me to focus on forgiveness and I came upon the article from the Mayo Clinic Staff and ...bingo! I had my answer!

Once I embraced the concept of forgiveness, the negativity, angst, confusion, anger flooding me, left almost immediately.

The situation became a learning lesson. Why.... didn't matter. Only that I understand the power of forgiveness as that alone was the salve that would sooth me.

We are what we think.
All that we are arises from our thoughts
With our thoughts we make our world.
Buddha
WAll that we are arises with our thoughts.
With our though

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Nina ( )
Date: November 05, 2010 05:10PM

How very true! It's hard at times, but why should I be miserable while someone who wronged me can care less.
Forgiveness is a very freeing concept.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: November 06, 2010 01:07PM

I was amazed at the health benefits of forgiveness in the article from Mayo Clinic.
Sounds like it's a necessity for good health! And, I want those benefits!

Forgiveness, on the other hand, offers numerous benefits, including:

Lower blood pressure
Stress reduction
Less hostility
Better anger management skills
Lower heart rate
Lower risk of alcohol or substance abuse
Fewer depression symptoms
Fewer anxiety symptoms
Reduction in chronic pain
More friendships
Healthier relationships
Greater religious or spiritual well-being
Improved psychological well-being

Posted by: freegal ( )
Date: November 06, 2010 12:40AM

So true! So much energy is wasted on negativity and resentment.It is so freeing and empowering to forgive and move on.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.