Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: AnonRegularPoster :-( ( )
Date: August 19, 2011 09:29PM

For example: A group of us young adults practiced and sang at an RM's wedding reception. The young lady who married the RM had just turned 19. The wedding was held in the temple.

When the group of us arrived through carpooling to the chapel, the gal looked at me and said to a male friend also on the choir, "Why is she here?" He explained that I had practiced with the choir, thought that I was invited (no one told me nor him otherwise), and even purchased and brought a gift. "Do you want me to ask her to go?" I was told that I could stay.

When the bouquet was tossed, yours truly caught it. The gal was pissed. Not knowing, this I commented while waiting for a ride home, "I don't know how I caught this!" in a friendly voice. Apparently, she took my comment the wrong way, walked over to her new husband, and said, "She just ruined my wedding!"

I sat down and kept to myself until the group of us that carpooled was ready to go.

In her defense, I recall a conversation with her prior to her wedding. She was going to be turning 19 in several days. She wanted to serve as a missionary. She wanted to get a college degree. All of this was preempted by a marriage she was not ready for and did not want. She was visibly upset.

Unfortunately, I was the image of the person she had wanted to become: I had served a part-time mission and had already degreed myself. Which explains the rough treatment at her wedding reception. And yes, I sang with the young adult group.

Dang! Like I said, FB is bringing back some really bad memories.

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: August 20, 2011 09:07AM

There were three of us sitting there talking to her that afternoon. She said that she could not call it off. She had to go through with it.

On the way out the door one of the people I was with said that she would feel differently once she got married and had kids. At that point she would have felt trapped beyond belief.

Posted by: cl2 (not logged in) ( )
Date: August 20, 2011 09:28AM

I have had many people that I knew years ago ask me why I'm not on facebook--they are the reasons. For me, the people I want to see and talk to, I see and talk to. I CHOOSE not to have anything to do with those who would want to contact me on FB.

BUT I was going to say . . . this story reminded me of my high school friend's SIL. (This was YEARS ago.) We went to visit my friend's brother who had been married just a year or so (already 1 child). He was older when he got married and he married someone much younger and VERY pretty. She had to have been probably 19. I don't know why I thought to ask my friend about he and his wife, but the answer I got was, "She says she didn't love him, but she knew it was the right thing to do." It was glaringly apparent to me that they did not belong with each other and, yep, years later, they divorced. She was as molly as you can get and he was over the top mormon. She left him.

It is pretty sad when you aren't excited about getting married.

I wasn't until the day before. For months after, I wsn't. Don't get me wrong, I loved him--but it wasn't right and I FELT IT. I KNEW IT. I had to save him after all . . . Actually, when I got engaged, I didn't tell even my closest friends or my family for A WHILE.

Date: August 20, 2011 10:17PM

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: August 20, 2011 09:32AM

"...a marriage she was not ready for and did not want..."

Why did she agree to go through with it? Just because she was horny?

Date: August 20, 2011 10:15PM

Posted by: Red Puppy ( )
Date: August 21, 2011 03:36AM

It's really so terribly sad though. A marriage like that has the potential to really screw up your life. And the Morg doesn't care. They actually promote it by teaching that any two worthy members can be happily married, and by saying that living together before marriage is a sin, and by the stigma that a single person over 25 is pretty much a failure. Because of this, the two people barely know each other at all. They only see what the other presents on their little dates, and never get to understand who they really are. Every so often something like this just pops to the forefront of my mind and makes me realize all over again just how much harm the Mormon church does.

Posted by: no-mo-mo ( )
Date: August 21, 2011 03:45AM

"Apparently, she took my comment the wrong way, walked over to her new husband, and said, "She just ruined my wedding!""

No, the f*ing cult ruined your wedding, you dumb twat. Here's your f*ing bouquet back, bitch.

(Stuff you may have wanted to say but didn't .... ;) )

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.