Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: wonderink... ( )
Date: August 09, 2011 05:50PM

I have always known about the King Follet discourse and how Joseph Smith used it as a way to prove that there are characteristics about God we do not know about until this sermon. He has, and it has, been used to prove that we can be gods one day. The following paragraph hit me the other day when I read it and googled the word "Berosheit". That is when it all hit that he did not have a clue about Hebrew and was making stuff up.

I shall comment on the very first Hebrew word in the Bible. I will make a comment on the very first sentence of the history of creation in the Bible--Berosheit. I want to analyze the word. Baith--in, by, through, and everything else. Rosh--the head. Sheit--grammatical termination. When the inspired man wrote it, he did not put the Baith there. An old Jew, without any authority, added the word. He thought it too bad to begin to talk about the head! It read first, "The head one of the Gods brought forth the Gods." That is the true meaning of the words. Baurau signified to bring forth. If you do not believe it, you do not believe the learned man of God. Learned men can teach you no more than what I have told you. Thus, the head God brought forth the Gods in the grand council.

Here is a great site which explains it simply.

http://www.jewsforjudaism.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=332:joseph-smiths-translation-of-genesis-11&catid=142:mormons&Itemid=505

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Thread Killer ( )
Date: August 10, 2011 12:03AM

Wow, Joe Smith, Master Blowhard, at it again! What apologist has ever tackled this boner? None that I've seen--as a matter of fact this is the first I've heard of it. Good find.

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: August 10, 2011 12:49AM

BEROSHEIT!

Posted by: Bill W. ( )
Date: June 28, 2016 08:55AM

Speaking of blowhards....

Posted by: xMo ( )
Date: August 10, 2011 01:15AM

All I know is "Berashith" is the Hebrew word for beginning, translated as Genesis in Latin. If anything, JS was doing a little on-the-fly gematria, breaking it down by its major consonants, B-R-Sh or Beth (House) Resh (Head) Shin (Sharp).

So he was about 1/3 right (he god "head" right but only from the viewpoint of interpreting the letter by itself rather than as part of the whole word.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bereshith

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resh

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beth_(letter)

Posted by: atheist&happy:-) ( )
Date: August 10, 2011 02:25AM

From the Torah:
http://www.mechon-mamre.org/p/pt/pt0101.htm

Prepositions:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prefixes_in_Hebrew#Prepositions

The word ראשית:
http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/ראשית

Etymology
From the same as ראש

Pronunciation
ראשׁית / rê'shîyth / ray-sheeth'

Noun
ראשׁית
1. the first, in place, time, order or rank (specifically a firstfruit): - beginning, chief (-est), first (-fruits, part, time), principal thing.

Posted by: hello ( )
Date: August 10, 2011 05:43AM

interesting thread, nice info...

Posted by: ipseego ( )
Date: August 10, 2011 06:21AM

By that time Smith had taken lessons in Hebrew. It would seem, though, that the transcription and pronounciation he was taught, was not the one that is standard today.

And his analysis of the words are of course way off.

Posted by: Gram ( )
Date: June 27, 2016 03:34PM

You mean "Pronunciation" rather than "Pronounciation"? Everyone on this forum is more educated than Joseph Smith who attended only three years of school in his youth. So naturally we're all qualified to pile on with our intellectual attacks.

Posted by: randyj ( )
Date: June 27, 2016 05:58PM

"Everyone on this forum is more educated than Joseph Smith who attended only three years of school in his youth. So naturally we're all qualified to pile on with our intellectual attacks."

But---but---Joseph Smith allegedly had direct communication with the Creator of the Universe from age 14 to the day of his death. So he should have been a little more accurate in his pronouncements than we mere mortals.

Posted by: seekyr ( )
Date: June 27, 2016 10:58PM

You mean pronuncements? ;-)

Posted by: balaamsass ( )
Date: August 10, 2011 08:28AM

This interpretation of Bereshit comes straight from the Zohar, the prime work of Kabbalah. Alexander Neibuhr (sp?), a jewish convert and Kabbalist taught this to Joseph Smith.

This is another indication that Mormonism is really a Hermetic Christian Gnosis - and I like it that way.

Posted by: elderpopejoy ( )
Date: June 27, 2016 10:06PM

balaamsass Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> This interpretation of Bereshit comes straight
> from the Zohar, the prime work of Kabbalah.

This long, opaque thing which they translate "The Book of Splendor" was a medieval Spanish Jew's foray into schemes to produce fake "holy scripture."

He was called Moses De Leon and claimed to translate Zohar from stuff found in a Palestine cave.

The wife of this Moses reported that hubby made it all up.

Does the pseudepigrapha racket start to sound familiar now?

balaamsass adds: ( I think Alexander Neibuhr (sp?), a jewish convert and Kabbalist taught this to Joseph Smith).

I remember the Neibuhr clan changed its name to "Nibley" and gifted the modern Mormon world with a whirling Dervish named Hugh.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: June 27, 2016 10:40PM

elderpopejoy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

>
> balaamsass adds: ( I think Alexander Neibuhr
> (sp?), a jewish convert and Kabbalist taught this
> to Joseph Smith).
>
> I remember the Neibuhr clan changed its name to
> "Nibley" and gifted the modern Mormon world with a
> whirling Dervish named Hugh.

According to Wikipedia, Alexander Neibaur was the first Jew to convert to mormonism, but he'd already converted to christianty. It was indeed Neibaur who was a buddy to JS and gave him some instruction in Germany and Hebrew.

Neibaur had married a gal from a devote Church of England family, so there would be no extension of judaism in descendants. And it was their daughter Rebecca who married Charles Nibley, allowing Neibaur to be the great grandfather of Hugh, Reid and Richard Nibley.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexander_Neibaur

Posted by: Trails end ( )
Date: June 27, 2016 04:04PM

Easy there Gram...joey likely had two more years of school than many on the frontier...perhaps why he found bull shitting so many so easy...he could and did read voraciously where many couldnt...conning folks isnt something you learn imo...its something your born with...joe needed no help in that pursuit...and i doubt he needs your support either...his legacy speaks for itself...repeat together now BURRO SHEIT

Date: June 27, 2016 04:24PM

Without Gram, I would not have been able to bookmark this very, very interesting thread.

Thanks for that, Gram! Ya done did a good thing!

ETA: when I bookmarked it, the title I'd be seeing during future searches was quite bland, so I added "JS fůcks up again"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/27/2016 04:27PM by elderolddog.

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: June 28, 2016 08:06PM

fůcks? How does one pronounce this?

Date: June 28, 2016 08:11PM

'One' doesn't. Two or more do.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: June 27, 2016 05:06PM

For the TL;DR crowd:

"All said, Smith shows himself to have been a fraud who misled his followers with fanciful renderings of Scripture."

Posted by: Topper ( )
Date: June 27, 2016 08:34PM

Posted by: gatorman ( )
Date: June 28, 2016 09:04AM

I have seen the name Judic West come up before on this board. Googled and no entry. Info on who this was?

Gatorman

Date: June 28, 2016 08:02PM

You have to go to page two or three of Google to find mention of the true blue Judic West, the silly Mexican's alter ego...

He's so tall, and White!

ETA: Alas! Google no longer keeps careful track of the adventures of Judic West!! I had to go to page 32!!!!!! to find a mention of Judic! It's like he doesn't exist anymore! I HATE it when good taste rules!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/28/2016 08:10PM by elderolddog.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: June 27, 2016 08:42PM

Sheit -- Joseph Smith concoction.
All of it.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: June 28, 2016 08:25PM

"This is the Forest Primeval . . . Bereshit in the woods."

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.