Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Zimmerman ( )
Date: August 05, 2011 01:58PM

I have been dealing with an uber-TBM who is having financial difficulties. Not working full-time but fully capable of doing so and choosing to go to the state for help instead. This family is using manipulation to drag money out of other people in the ward and family to pay for a lifestyle.

It seems like "faith in the Lord" has turned into sitting on your @$$ and letting someone else pay your way. Honest in all of their dealings? Not hardly.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: cl2 (not logged in) ( )
Date: August 05, 2011 01:59PM

Posted by: Tabula Rasa ( )
Date: August 05, 2011 02:11PM

Are there really a lot? I have no clue. I was a financial clerk in the late 80's and only saw a few "sponges" that didn't work and got checks from the ward.

Ron

Date: August 05, 2011 02:29PM

This ward not so much. Most of the members (men anyway) are employed.

What really gets me about this family is they want others to pay their way but they are unwilling to sell the RV, boat, and jet skis. Then there are the vacations including cruises.

Posted by: cl2 (not logged in) ( )
Date: August 05, 2011 05:41PM

But I have been amazed by how many mormon men don't hold down jobs, expect that if they pray God will provide even if they don't make the effort--what are the MLMs about?

I have an uncle who did get a Ph.D. His fmaily lived in poverty for the years he was in school. He worked in his firled for 3 years. Then his wife started to provide for them. She taught school, ran a nursing home (their place of residence), got her realtor's license, and still at age 72 is selling homes (and their SIL bought them a house to live in because he lost so much money in their lives they had nowhere to live). Now they have a few sons following in their footsteps.

There are several in the ward I live in--several in every ward I've lived in. Doesn't mean the church provides, but they think that somehow God is just going to drop blessings in their laps without making the effort.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: August 05, 2011 02:40PM

Yeah, that was an interesting revelation to me to find out my non-LDS Dad was the Lord. Because as a young married couple with DH still in school, several times we found ourselves in a tight financial position. But we paid our tithing and the Lord blessed us. Usually with an unexpected check from my Dad - "just to help" or "to make your Christmas extra nice" or even just "thinking of you guys and how hard you are working and thought you'd like this $ to go on a nice date." Now you can argue that the Lord prompted my dad to send the money but again, he's non-LDS, in fact, doesn't attend any church, drinks, spends his Sundays on his sailboat... i.e. not the sort of person that the LDS hold up as a good example of spiritual discernment. But apparently, he's the Lord.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/05/2011 02:41PM by CA girl.

Date: August 05, 2011 04:42PM

CA girl Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yeah, that was an interesting revelation to me to
> find out my non-LDS Dad was the Lord.

Love that statement. It is so true in this case too. This couple is relying on the state because TSCC is unable to help them pay for all of their toys.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.