Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: August 04, 2011 05:19PM

"In documenting what took place the night the recording was made [of Jeffs having sex with his 12-year-old 'bride'], Jeffs wrote [in his personal journal] that the girl 'experienced a heavenly session with us and obtained a greater testimony.' He said he was directing another of his wives to take the recording of his 'training' with the girl to a variety of FLDS settlements so others could learn from it . . .

"In another written excerpt, Jeffs says, 'Though 12 years old, she has advanced quickly and got close. And she is being prepared to be a strength in the heavenly sessions.'

"[Texas Ranger Nick] Hanna testified previously that 'getting close' is how Jeffs refers to having sex.

"A birth certificate recovered from the ranch indicated the girl from the recording had turned 12 just 33 days before it was made. Prosecutors showed an FLDS record indicating she was married to Jeffs in July 2006, and jurors saw photos of the couple deep kissing.

"Jeffs tried unsuccessfully three times to have the judge removed from the case, his last motion quoting God as saying she will suffer a crippling sickness that will soon kill her. Without the jury present Friday, Jeffs read a statement he claimed was from God promising that the heavens would bring sickness and death to all involved if his trial wasn't stopped.

"As part of his defense Wednesday, Jeffs called one of his church's members to testify. J.D. Roundy read from the Book of Mormon and then answered questions about the church's beliefs, with Jeffs pausing for a few minutes after each answer before asking another question."

"[Jeffs] . . . [also] mentioned Mormon founder Joseph Smith, Jr., in his 30-minute [opening] statement.

("Case Closes: Jeffs Begins Own Defense," from "Associated Press," 4 Augusts 2011, reprinted in "Arizona Republic," pp. 1, 12, at; http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/news/articles/2011/08/04/20110804warren-jeffs-prosecution-closes-defense-begins.html#ixzz1U62fS7UW)

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 08/04/2011 05:28PM by steve benson.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ziller ( )
Date: August 04, 2011 05:30PM

Ziller wonders what part of the Book of Mormon was read in court.

Ziller is guessing that it prolly wasn’t Jacob 1:15 which sez:

“And now it came to pass that the people of Nephi, under the reign of the second king, began to grow hard in their hearts, and indulge themselves somewhat in wicked practices, such as like unto David of old desiring many wives and concubines, and also Solomon, his son.”

And it prolly wasn’t Jacob 2:24 either:

“Behold, David and Solomon truly had many wives and concubines, which thing was abominable before me, saith the Lord.”

And it certainly wasn’t Jacob 2:27:

“Wherefore, my brethren, hear me, and hearken to the word of the Lord: For there shall not any man among you have save it be one wife; and concubines he shall have none.”

Or Mosiah 11:2:

“For behold, he did not keep the commandments of God, but ... he had many wives and concubines.”

Or Ether 10:5:

“Riplakish did not do that which was right in the sight of the Lord, for he did have many wives and concubines.”

So it must have been Jacob 7:27 which sez:

“Brethren, adieu.”

ziller

Posted by: tapir whisperer ( )
Date: August 04, 2011 07:29PM

I read another online report that Jeff's read from the "Doctrine & Covenants section of the Book of Mormon".... the reporter was obviously confused. I'm guessing that he actually read from D&C 132.

Posted by: bigred ( )
Date: August 05, 2011 02:39PM

Ziller - are you related to jackfitzzzzzz?

You both speak of yourself in the third person.

Posted by: The StalkerDog™ ( )
Date: August 04, 2011 05:34PM

I'd say it's for sure contempt of court!

Are they gonna let that icky little man get away with that???

Posted by: LordBritish ( )
Date: August 04, 2011 07:36PM

Probably Jacob Chapter 2, Verse 30: "For if I will, saith the Lord of Hosts, raise up seed unto me, I will command my people; otherwise they shall hearken unto these things."

Warren Jeffs is just following the True Prophet Joseph Smith.

Saddens me how many LDS are saying about Joseph Smith "This man is sick sick sick!" Yet are completely blinded to the "sick sick sick" of Joseph Smith.

Posted by: voweaver ( )
Date: August 04, 2011 07:48PM

I hope the judge goes out DANCING tonight, kicking up her heels in good health!

~VOW

Posted by: Rebeckah ( )
Date: August 04, 2011 11:23PM

She walks with a cane.

Posted by: greekgod ( )
Date: August 04, 2011 11:34PM

Well then, that would make it all the more ironic!

"God will kill you"

"Hey, I was healed of my polio!"

Posted by: get her done ( )
Date: August 04, 2011 09:16PM

So sad, this man and JS hurt a lot of people. Too bad JS never got caught...He would have had the same fate. Hope Jeff's gets what Texas, ( don't mess with Texas ) does best...long prison terms...maybe two life sentences....Justice at last....cult is not getting away by marrying little grils that need a teddy bear at 12, not a 55 year old man training them for sex and phoney marrages, in the name of the Mormon cult God.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/05/2011 07:12AM by get her done.

Posted by: Gorspel Dacktrin ( )
Date: August 04, 2011 09:29PM

but he did get caught. The destruction of the Nauvoo Expositor printing press and office was the triggering event, but his out-of-control predatory prophet perversions and serial sexual sickness was the main cause. The Nauvoo Expositor was exposing him on this issue and forced his hand.

Posted by: get her done ( )
Date: August 05, 2011 07:14AM

True, but killing him let him off...Too bad the doctor on the tar a feather mission, there to castrate him, did not follow through. More justice than a quick death.

Posted by: Suckafoo ( )
Date: August 05, 2011 07:52AM

I really hope she doesn't get sick and turn the statement into "fulfilled prophecy".

Posted by: drilldoc ( )
Date: August 05, 2011 02:32PM

When people see how crazy this guy is, and the movie under the banner of heaven comes out. People will then see the church is truely a concoction of a bunch of nutcases.

Posted by: rgg ( )
Date: August 05, 2011 02:45PM

My NeverMo husband is flipping out over this trial and keeps asking me what my TBM family says about it! Of course my TBM family divorces themselves from this but I can tell its embarrasing for them.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: August 05, 2011 08:02PM

I predict that within 100 years every one of those jurors will be dead. God will not be mocked!

What I liked the best was that Jeffs gave each juror in turn "the look" when the verdict was in. It was a stare for a few seconds. Supposedly he went down the line of jurors with this little stunt.

Maybe that look works on his little sheep but to the rest of us it seemed vindictive and delusional. I think he actually believes he is a prophet. I've seen the same kind of look when some JWs "dusted their feet" at me once. Sheesh.

Was his stare at the jurors supposed to make them:

a)scared
b)convinced he has prophet super powers
c)think he was threatening them
d)bend to his Perry Mason courtroom skills
e)regret their actions and question their consciences
f)feel pity for him because he is being led like a lamb to the slaughter

Date: August 05, 2011 08:09PM

She said he was a person who thought deeply before he responded.

Too bad Warren "The Thinker" Jeffs didn't bother to think deeply about the legal ramifications for engaging in the raping of minors.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 08/05/2011 08:11PM by steve benson.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: August 05, 2011 08:19PM

Too bad Rodin isn't around to make a sculpture of him-both thinking and "getting close." (Never mind. The sculptures would be censored at BYU.)

I'm guessing he was at the point where he felt above the law--living God's law and all. Maybe he never heard what happens to those with absolute power.

What a Bozo.

Date: August 05, 2011 08:21PM

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/05/2011 08:27PM by steve benson.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.