Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: fancypants ( )
Date: July 29, 2011 03:56AM

I was so mad when my favorite show ever showed a segment on Joseph Smith having an encounter with the angel Moroni... And they didnt even mention (like they usually do) that some people disregard this as and refer to it as made up. Anyways, they think Joseph Smith actually got the plates location from Moroni coming down as an extra terrestrial being and yada yada yada and compared the hill cumorah to the serpent hill in the mid west. It's probably on the history channels website if anyone is interested. Made me mad though!

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: July 29, 2011 03:58AM

Whoops! Didn't know someone already posted about it lol! Sorry I'm on my phone.

Posted by: imalive ( )
Date: July 29, 2011 10:11AM

Hey no big deal.

Posted by: robertb ( )
Date: July 29, 2011 10:20AM

The History Channel has gone so downhill. I hardly watch it anymore. It went from the WWII/Hitler Channel to the Jesus-was-the-Son-of Aliens-and-the-Family-Cat Channel.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/29/2011 10:20AM by robertb.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: July 30, 2011 02:05AM

I love history. I enjoy things about Western European Civilizations, the development of various phases of medicine, stuff like that.

Since my DH is the official Keeper of the Remote in our household, I long ago stopped paying attention to the All-Hitler Channel. And since DH also believes that ancient aliens are somehow hooked up with Adam and Eve, he likes to watch that stuff too. And I've lost count of how many times we have watched the Battle of Thermopylae and the REAL explanation of the Plagues of Egypt.

it's amazing, how many books I have gone through while he watches that garbage.

Posted by: robertb ( )
Date: July 30, 2011 02:15AM

Reading real history had an impact on my leaving Mormonism, especially as I started reading early Christian history. I also did some reading in Bible archeology and textual criticism. Not expert level stuff by any means--general level stuff. The effect on me was not that it was critical of Mormonism but I improved how I thought about history and religion and *that* had a real impact my thinking about Mormonism.

Posted by: JimO ( )
Date: May 26, 2012 12:04PM

So, because its no longer in line with your thinking..its suddenly rubbish? I was born catholic, consider myself christian and believe in god. however i love the show because it makes one think..if you have an open mind that is. They arent offering anything but possibilities and theories based on some pretty good evidence. I dont think its crazy or a stretch at all and actually makes more logical and reasonable sense than religion itself.
Its funny because I see tons of forums about it where mostly devoutly religious people call it crap or garbage and usually the first words out of their mouths are "where's your proof?" or "if ET's/ancient aliens exist, prove it!" .....IRONIC ISNT IT! The very people who base their entire belief system on a 'leap of faith' want others to provide them with hard proof for their theories...or they're not worth anything!

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: May 26, 2012 03:28PM

I've pretty much given up watching the History Channel for the same reasons every one else gave here.

The fictional stories of ancient aliens utterly discredit the accomplishments of the human race in a way even a belief in the Almighty can't. Even if you accept that God "inspires" people, it is human hands who do the work.

You're proving the old adage "bunk sells; debunking doesn't," and as one who actually read Erich Von Däniken's nonsense (and would to have the buck-and-a-quarter back I spent on it), it's apparent the man is given to inventing lies in order to make money.

Study some actual astronomy, learn just how huge our own galaxy is, and imagine how many years it would take a race of long-lived space beings--with nothing better to do, apparently--to travel interstellar distances. They could help construct, say the "Nazca Lines" (which, contrary to rumors, can be seen from the neighboring foothills) in 400 A.D. and if they returned to their home say, a couple of hundred light years distance, at 1/4 light speed (an incredible technological feat, and the real challenge would be to slow down after having achieved that velocity), they would return in a millennium or so and discover the people who were inhabiting that region had been wiped out by diseases and such, their civilizations had long since collapsed, and an entirely different culture was in place.

And really, what makes it particularly ridiculous is the suggestion that aliens who had mastered interstellar flight would want to use our planet as some sort of immense sand box. Wouldn't they have left more sophisticated calling cards?

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: July 29, 2011 11:22AM

All Hitler all the time.

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: July 29, 2011 05:32PM

I'm sure they are working on a program proving just that.

Posted by: missguided ( )
Date: July 29, 2011 05:21PM

Aliens!!!!!! AY LEE INNNNSSSSS!!!

Date: July 29, 2011 05:37PM

This one featured Scott Wolter and the "Kensington Runestone,"(man, he has that same look in his eyes as Jeffrey Meldrum, the World's Greatest Bigfoot Authority). Wolter told of Masonic Conspiracies, The Knights Templar and the Holy Grail in America. Fished this one out of a spare bullchip filter I had handy: "Columbus had a map showing him how to find the New World that was given to him by Masons."

Seriously, somebody help me. I can't do the math on which is more improbable, ancient aliens or pre-Columbian Knights Templar who made it all the way to Minnesota centuries before Columbus. I know it's a calculus problem, i.e. as E (E1 or E2) approaches zero, but then things get kind of muddled... Well except that as E->0 then the gullibiity quotient (GQ) rises astronomically. We write that one as GQ->∞....

Winter, er "Brother of Jerry," you wanna peer review this one and extrapolate further?

Date: July 29, 2011 07:50PM

Man, get your history timeline together there. First came the Jaredites, then came Elohim the Father boinking Mary, and then came the Holy Grail...

And the evidence for the existence of Freemasonry is a little better than Lamanite DNA, but the first real evidence doesn't emerge until the 18th Century, That's 17th centuries after the Holy Coupling and the Holy grail...

Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: July 29, 2011 05:56PM

The angel Moroni is just an alien coming down to fuck with the country bumpkins.

Moroni: Behold!

Joseph Smith: Who the fuck are you?

Moroni: I'm an....uh.....Angel! That's right! And I want.....uh.....you to find me some buried treasure.

Joseph: Neat! I'll get right on that!

Moroni (under breath): Haha. Douche.

Date: July 29, 2011 08:45PM

I think ol' Joe was trippin on shrooms. ;)

Posted by: lala ( )
Date: October 02, 2011 09:27PM

extraterrestrial is defined as: not from this earth or life beyond this earth. moroni did live a mortal life on earth at a point but when he showed up in joseph smith's bedroom he came as (what we would refer to ) an angel but the sci-fi folk interpret it as "extraterrestrial." i don't think they meant moroni was an alien.

Posted by: luminouswatcher ( )
Date: October 02, 2011 09:40PM

You forget JS was a treasure seeker, and was using necromancy to obtain treasure. The idea is to magically capturing the spirit and forcing him to show you were they hid their treasure while alive, and to make sure it does not "slip away".

Angels being departed Earthlings is a mormon concept and is an artifact of the amalgamation of the two cover stories.

Date: October 02, 2011 10:09PM

Uh.....no he didn't.

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: October 02, 2011 10:18PM

Plus his story was all bullshit. My ancestors are NOT Hebrews on a voyage, ok?

Date: October 02, 2011 10:19PM

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: October 02, 2011 10:22PM

But only loathsome if you beg.

Date: October 02, 2011 10:25PM

The "Cycle of pride" is now actually fun.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.