Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: NoToJoe ( )
Date: July 29, 2011 01:25AM

It was Smithmas 2005 when I first stumbled across this site and my testimony in the Mormon cult began to crack and crumble. For six years I have lived a duplicitous life. For six years I have been openly non/jack Mormon with my friends and coworkers but still pretended to believe with my parents. Although I am now 40 years old I have struggled to be honest with my parents about my lack of belief in the pedophile prophet and the cult he established. Although I am 40 years old I have lived in fear that my parents would withhold their acceptance of me.

Well tonight this 40 year old grew a pair of balls. Better late than never. Tonight I told my parents, face to face, that I don’t believe Joseph Smith was a prophet because of his numerous questionable relationships with under aged women, his money digging, and his links with Masonry. I was respectful, I told them how much I love them and I told them I would be respectful of the beliefs that were important to them. But I made it perfectly clear that I don’t believe in Joseph Smith and the organization he established. I also emphasized that I will NOT be raising my newborn son in the Mormon belief system.

What a relief.!!!!!! I have feared this conversation for six years. I have let this elephant in the room damage my relationship with my parents. I have avoided this moment for waaaaaaaay too long. And guess what???? It went very well. My parents were not surprised . They basically said that they knew I probably didn’t believe since I was a child and that they loved me anyway. They said they would respect my beliefs and the most important thing to them was ME and our relationship. WOW!!! I had hoped they would react this way but I never dared to hold out hope for such a reaction. My parents have always been soooo rigid and Nazi-Mormon. I can’t express the relief I feel right now (it could be partially due the large amount of rum I’ve had to drink tonight) and how liberated I feel. I should have done this a long time ago.

I am so lucky to have a supporting wife. My sweetheart sat next to me as I unburdened myself to my parents and she backed me up one hundred percent. Today is a good day. Thank gawd and Captain Morgan for the little miracles and sweet ( or spiced) spirits!!!!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: July 29, 2011 02:52AM

Posted by: mav ( )
Date: July 29, 2011 08:53AM

Posted by: introvertedme ( )
Date: July 29, 2011 08:58AM

Congrats! I can't wait to "out" myself too. Glad it went well! :)

Posted by: ExMormonRon ( )
Date: July 29, 2011 09:52AM

Now that you have a pair, buy some boxers so they can remain aired out and cool. ;)

Congrats!

Ron

Posted by: imalive ( )
Date: July 29, 2011 10:15AM

Way to go! Congratulations. :-D

Posted by: 3X ( )
Date: July 29, 2011 10:39AM

Congrats: the first day of the rest of your life.

Here's hoping your parents live up to the commitment they have made (to place family above church and belief).

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: July 29, 2011 12:31PM

It's a new kind of freedom to take your power back and own it! It's your life, live it as you choose!

Posted by: PapaKen ( )
Date: July 29, 2011 01:07PM

WAY TO GO, NOTOJOE!!

Posted by: Truthseeker ( )
Date: July 29, 2011 07:48PM

Congrats! My dad is okayish with my being out as an unbeliever, but my mother has made things very difficult.

I hope things continue to go so well with your folks!

Posted by: kdog ( )
Date: July 29, 2011 09:33PM

Good for you NoToJoe! I've been in that boat for years also and just spilled the beans to my mom a few weeks ago and I also feel so relieved! Sounds like you've got some good parents!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.