Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: July 28, 2011 09:56AM

Following up on RfM poster Levi's observation about Monson riding in an armored car in the Days of 47 parade in SLC: At first I couldn't believe it, and I began trying to find out the kind of armored vehicle he was in when Levi also correctly called out the type, a factory-armored Audi A8 L Security. Of course, ExMormonRon points out that it may not be the actual property of the church. But it would be rare that anyone should own it, particularly in SLC. So I've begun obsessing over it.

See, this is weird, and I'll tell you why. I've got quite a bit of experience in learning about and being assigned to drive an armored car. Most armored cars are "up-armored," meaning that at great expense, one of three US-based companies tear down a vehicle (almost exclusively a Toyota Land Cruiser or a Chevy Suburban) to nothing, then build it back up with armored plating, then have to recover it in its original skin. It's a difficult and expensive task, since they have to install re-designed interiors in order to fit in the thick bullet-proof glass and provide armor around the windows, door jambs, and pillars. Unfortunately, though the car takes on more than a ton of new stuff, they do not compensate with brakes or suspension, and these things wear themselves out in less than half the time it normally takes to wear a car down, particularly if driving in a place like Afghanistan. The brakes are always spongy, and pretty soon the springs sag, etc. Factory-built armored cars are rare and expensive.

The Audi A8 L Security that Monson is in even has the rare optional and horribly expensive option of side windows that open, a real luxury in an armored car (even then the manufacturers warn to use the roll-down option sparingly, since normal operation burns out the motor in no time, and there are few places in the US where a motor can be replaced).

Top Speed states: "A lot of people might not feel the need to own a luxury car that effectively has the skeleton of a high-grade military car, but for those few that depend on these cars to help protect them from outside threats, then we present to you Audi’s new high-powered, armored-to-the-hilt, luxury car, the 2011 A8 L Security. At first glance, the A8 L Security looks exactly like the standard A8, but nothing about this car can be described as ’standard’. It’s got enough safety and security features to make anyone think it’s a fortress on wheels." Audi calls it a "rolling luxury tank."

The price of the 2011 A8 Security is still a bit hazy, but in 2007 it cost $650,000; by now it must cost most of $1 million. It begs an important question: Why does the Mormon church think that it needs one of the few factory-built armored cars in the world, when even few US ambassadors have them? (They are reserved for ambassadors in places where the danger is truly great. Factory-armored vehicles are only made by BMW, then Mercedes and Audi, last I knew. Most armored vehicles for everyone else are "up-armored" Toyota Land Cruisers and Chevy Suburbans.)

Is Monson such a hated man in the world that he requires this kind of insulation? Just what kind of rarefied atmosphere does he live in?

Tithing dollars at work, folks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: July 28, 2011 10:11AM

...and the "prophet" the center of the Mormon universe, perhaps Monson believes he's more at danger than anyone on the planet. All of Satan's minions are out to get him, right?

Or maybe the armor isn't really to keep danger out, but to keep Monson's colossal ego from bursting out and harming the crowd.

Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: July 28, 2011 10:47AM

Posted by: Gorspel Dacktrin ( )
Date: July 28, 2011 10:48AM

The Pope's gotta have his Pope-mobile. Monson needs his Mo-mobile. I figure that they both figure that God knows the real score and what they've been up to behind closed doors--and he doesn't particularly like either one of them all that much. ;o)

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: July 28, 2011 11:13AM

Back on topic...
So why would Monson need something that heavy? What about the prophets who got thrown in furnaces, or who stood on a high wall and the arrows could not touch him?

And if he is the most righteous man on earth, Why won't the Prophets garments protect him? And if *his* garments won't do the trick, why should the average member even bother putting them on?

And as an odd observation, why is a superduper presidential material armored car needed to parade safely through the holiest of cities filled with temple worthy adoring members?

Posted by: fossilman ( )
Date: July 28, 2011 11:28AM

"Monson, I served with Samual the Lamanite, I knew Samual the Lamanite, Samual the Lamanite was a friend of mine. Monson, you're no Samual the Lamanite."

Posted by: OnceMore ( )
Date: July 28, 2011 11:01AM

Is there a news link for this armored car story?

Date: July 28, 2011 01:42PM

If you go to the following DN article about the Days of 47 parade and look at the scary picture of Monson you can clearly see that he's in an armored vehicle:

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/705388158/Days-of-47-Parade-presses-forward.html

Stuff to look for: First note the hollow area where the window recedes into. It's over 1" wide. Also noted the steel overlap plating in the upper right of the window. Note also the gray plating that runs around the window opening on the top and left side of the window--this is steel plating that keeps bullets out when they hit around the window frame, which cannot be made to deflect bullets. Also note the distance from the door to the interior, a good 6", which is why interiors are much smaller. One has to be careful getting in and out of an armored vehicle because you tend to bonk your head on the protruding armor around the window. In up-armored cars, the ceiling and floorboards are armored, so the interior of the car is noticeably smaller top to bottom, and tall people have a difficult time in them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/28/2011 01:44PM by cludgie.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: July 28, 2011 11:05AM

a month or so ago...TV news story abt a UTAH co. that does these.

God's prophet(s) SHOULDN'T ACCEPT gifts/loans from others; it gives the appearance of favoritism.Period.

Posted by: Gorspel Dacktrin ( )
Date: July 28, 2011 11:16AM

I mean, Monson and none of his successors will be happy if you take that away from them. The Huntsmans, Marriotts, Romneys and the like are very powerful, but you can always count on the Lard's annointed to speak the truth to powerful people -- and the truth, as the General Authorities see it, is that they like the freebees and want more. Other than that I guess they don't have much truth to speak to power, so no real conflict of interest there.

;o)

Posted by: sd ( )
Date: July 28, 2011 11:12AM

shouldn't the garmo-protective underpajamas provide all the protection he needs? Me thinks heir-prophet his royal self is a little skeptical.

Posted by: PapaKen ( )
Date: July 28, 2011 11:30AM

That's what I was thinking....

Armored car: $1,000,000

Garments: $_______
(What do they cost nowadays - probably not more than $10, right?)

Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: July 28, 2011 11:17AM

when to duck, if bullets start to fly.

Having an armored car shows way too much fear and mistrust for a guy who supposedly talks to the man upstairs.

Posted by: EssexExMo ( )
Date: July 28, 2011 11:30AM

Couldn't god just design a set of G's to fit a limo?

Posted by: Glo ( )
Date: July 28, 2011 11:28AM

Even at his late stage, Monson does not care to lay down his life for the morg cause LOL.

What does that tell you about his faith in God?

People are NUTS to keep paying and obeying the fraud of Mormonism.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: July 28, 2011 11:29AM

Years ago in Provo during a 4th of July parade I was wandering around a park when I saw a man taking a shotgun out of the trunk of his car. Spencer W. Kimball was the star guest of the parade.

I asked the man, "are you with Church security?"

He said, "Provo city police."

I assumed that they were concerned with security for Kimball's visit. Mormonisms emphasis on 'personal revelation' has led to a lot of insanity. Ervil LaBaron was out having people knocked off so that a nation would not dwindle and perish in disbelief. My guess is that the most dangerous place for the LDS prophet, seer, and revelator to appear in public is Utah. Some polygamist with a "Nephi/Laban" complex could easily be persuaded that God wants him to off the LDS leader.

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: July 28, 2011 11:47AM

Thanks for the information on armored cars, especially Monson's. I agree with Gorspel Dacktrin that they're probably trying to give Monson a low-key pope-mobile. The Mormon church seems to follow the lead of the Catholic church.

"Put on the full armor of God." LOL wine country girl!

Posted by: unbeliever42 ( )
Date: July 28, 2011 11:53AM

Kind of like the Morg version of the Popemobile, perhaps?

Posted by: just a thought ( )
Date: July 28, 2011 12:27PM

kind of makes you wonder what other extravagant expenditures take place behind the scenes.

Even if the car was donated, the donor counts it as part of his/her tithing. Seems little different than if the member donated cash, and then church used the cash to buy the car.

Posted by: Backseater ( )
Date: July 28, 2011 12:48PM

"if the pope's afraid to die, what chance do we have?"

Posted by: anona ( )
Date: July 28, 2011 12:51PM

I'm not sure about the Armored car thing.. maybe for parades it would be in vogue.

I've often seen pics of him in the crown Victoria... they can
be light armored as well.

What gets me is the amount of armed security around him. Check
this pic and tell me the guy on the left ain't packing heat..

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_5wRVdKoLhik/S_jNHyulVDI/AAAAAAAAE5g/RX5A04odHb0/s1600/IMG_2957.JPG

Kind of a Warren Jeffs looking photo isn't it?

Date: July 28, 2011 01:53PM

It was Levi who tipped people off. Perhaps he has experience with them, too. I've driven in them for 4 1/2 years, but they were all up-armored Land Cruisers. One of my co-workers, the "principle officer" at a small consulate in a dangerous country, got to have a factory-armored BMW. It eventually got shot up when some guys tried to kidnap the new officer, a woman, but well-trained driver Zafar got her out of there. But a shoot-up generally leaves the car as totaled as any car would be. It only allows you an opportunity to get the hell out and away and to a safe haven, with a little luck (stick around too long and the glass will become compromised). I know of one case where one of the BMWs got so shot up that it caught fire and the people inside had to bail out; one was shot dead when he did so. So they aren't perfect, and they are not like "K.I.T.T." from "Knight Rider."

I didn't think that the church security guys carried weapons, either, until I had to meet with them once. Back in the 60s or 70s there was an incident where someone took a potshot at the LDS president (I forget which, but I think it was JFS), and the news reports said that, since church security are not armed, no one could return fire. But when I met with a few of the dudes, they were all carrying weapons, even when we ate out.

Posted by: Glo ( )
Date: July 28, 2011 01:07PM

Top Mormon leaders suffer from an over-inflated sense of self-importance, thinking that everything revolves around their silly little cult.

Posted by: regularguy ( )
Date: July 28, 2011 01:37PM

Excellent research! Can you post a link to a picture of the armored car??

Posted by: Mormonkey ( )
Date: July 28, 2011 01:44PM

If somebody mentioned this above me, I apologize. But I do believe there is a company in Utah that specializes in armored vehicles. I remember reading an article on it, they take orders from all over the world.

If they are still here in utah, it's not a far stretch to imagine that they loaned one to the prophet (especially if the owners are mormon) or the church rented one from them.

So when I first saw this post, my initial thought was that the armored car came from this company.

(Thought that I would check before submitting and sure enough, there is a company here called armormax.com)

Date: July 28, 2011 01:54PM

Date: July 28, 2011 01:55PM

Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: July 28, 2011 01:57PM

Posted by: Pil-Latté ( )

Funny that you bring up this car because a relative of mine was having a mogasm over his car this past weekend. She didn't even see him, just his arm in the car. I *guess* thats cool...

Posted by: lulu ( )

I'm with Glo.

Mormonism has a little dick and needs to compensate.

Posted by: heresy nli ( )
Date: July 28, 2011 02:14PM

Posted by: Smiling Dog ( )
Date: July 28, 2011 04:10PM

Serious proof that Monson does not believe himself to be prophet.

Bottom line: If he is prophet, then God will call him home whenever he needs him, armored car or not. If he is prophet, then God will protect him if it's not his time.

The fact that he uses an armored car, security forces, etc. proves that he doesn't believe himself to be what is claimed about him, i.e. prophet...

I'm sure the Corp. puts another spin on it, but whatever that spin is, doesn't trump the evidence...

Posted by: Drew90 ( )
Date: July 28, 2011 04:36PM

but then I thought, "Who would really care to shoot him?"

Posted by: Misfit ( )
Date: July 28, 2011 04:45PM

Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: July 28, 2011 05:10PM

I'm a car nut, and an armored car nut at that.

My thinking is the mo-prez really can't be seen in a Mercedes or a BMW. That would smack of worldliness in the mormon circles. But Audi can fly under the radar with most of the members.

IIRC, Hinckley rolled around in a Lexus LS. I saw a pic of him at a funeral in SLC. I tried to see if there was armored glass, but the pic really didn't give a good view.

This view of the window channel was what made me go "Really?".

I have no problem with him wanting to be safe, but a decent Suburban fully armored would run what, $150,000? Why the need for this? In this economy for anybody (member, Huntsman, rube) to spend this kind of cheese is crazy.

Posted by: anona ( )
Date: July 28, 2011 05:14PM

The king "still" has no clothes behind that bullet proof glass

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: July 28, 2011 05:48PM

It was not a standard Ford Grenada, it was built to very plush limo standards with extremely comfortable seats, real wood veneer, etc.

There was an odd screw plug mount on the front of the bonnet.

One day he took the car to have a job done on it and when it was up on the garage lift the mechanic said: "This is odd. There's something strange. This car is much heavier than it should be, for a Ford Grenada."

My friend had it weighed at a public weigh bridge and it was WAY heavier than the manual said it should be.

He did some research and found out that it was an ex British military car which had been used as a staff car for a general, the screw plug mount had been so he could fly his official pennant to show that he was in the car!

It had a bomb-proof floor, armour-plated skin and reinforced chassis and bulletproof glass!

It was left-hand drive as the General had used the car in Germany, as he was based there. When he ended his time he bought the car and brought it back to Britain, eventually selling it to a used car dealer where my friend bought it for a good price.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/28/2011 05:48PM by matt.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.