Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: July 28, 2011 12:19AM

The topic of NDEs is a recurring one at RfM. I haven’t had much to say on it until the latest discussions cropped up on several threads this week.

Here are two examples:

http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,256834

http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,255640,255640#msg-255640

I figure it’s one of those things we can’t really know and I don’t have a strong opinion about it either way. It doesn’t matter that much to me what people choose to believe. I do hope, though, that conclusions and opinions are based somewhat on reality. If you want to believe in NDEs, that they occur and that they signify life beyond mortality, go ahead. But please, apply some critical thinking skills to the “evidence” on which you base your belief (unless you don't care about rational back-up for your opinion?). I think a lot of examples of apparent NDEs can be easily explained by existing medical knowledge. I hope people at least consider the realities behind the “evidence” they put their faith in to uphold their belief in NDE/existence post-death. (Note: I differentiate near death experience from a religious belief in an afterlife). Both may exist and be significant but that's a different question than the "evidence" people use to claim that NDEs are real and that they signify life after death.

On a previous thread of mine, I responded to some of the “evidence” and questions about NDE, as re-posted below for context.

Also, I recently read an interesting article about perception and how the brain tries to make sense of the sensory input it’s receiving, excerpted below.

[A poster said in a previous thread] “What if a person who was undergoing surgery saw signs saying "STOP or "YIELD" on top of very tall cabinets inside the operating room, which they had never been in before during their cardiac arrest period?

"How could an oxygen starved brain "see" that?????”

[I replied] I’ve been in a lot of ORs and have never seen very tall cabinets therein nor any signs resting atop one. Of all the signs to have in an OR, if any, why would they have stop and yield signs? Directions for porters bringing patients in and taking them out? Communication between the surgeon and the scrub nurse? I think not.

That is where I would start with analyzing a supposed “NDE”. I’m struck by how often visions and NDEs etc don’t seem to make a lot of sense or offer anything of value. (As in the visions in Fatima, for instance, where the messages from Mary seemed to consist entirely of criticism and forebodings, at least from what I have read about it). Likewise, I’d ask why if one were so fortunate as to glimpse the eternities and be reassured of ongoing life, the only “proof” they get is a coupla traffic signs? I’d rather see an angel or hear a choir than something so utilitarian as a stop sign. What does it mean I wonder: Stop breathing? Stop dying? Stop looking for (at) signs?

After a down-to-earth analysis like that, I’d then think about the state a person is in when they find themselves inside an OR as the patient. If it’s a planned procedure, they are likely under the influence of at least a sedative, soon to be anesthesia of some sort. Sedatives and anesthetics affect the brain, in ways known and unknown, affecting its chemistry, and can change levels of consciousness, decrease awareness, cause grogginess, induce sleep, produce dreams and affect perception and cognition. In this state, the affected person cannot rationally analyze and realistically interpret their perceptions, thoughts, memories, feelings and experiences.

Patients who have been sedated (so they feel drowsy but are not yet “anesthetized” and are either drowsy or sleeping lightly) are considered to be no longer capable of signing a “fully informed consent” for a surgical procedure as they are too cognitively impaired (sedated). Woe betide the nurse who forgets to get the paper signed before she administers the sedative – surgery has to be cancelled, at least in my experience. In a person who is cognitively impaired, I’d be careful how I interpreted their perceptions of anything. Sedation affects thinking and memory processes, which affects perception.

Too, there is abundant medical evidence of patients under anesthesia waking up during surgery and interpreting their current situation as a dream (a very bad one!) when it is, in fact, reality (ironic eh?) or patients not under deeply enough, seeing and hearing and feeling everything that is going on while seeming to be unconscious. This type of experience is known to be traumatic to patients after-the-fact, whether they were deeply or lightly asleep. Still, they cannot be relied upon to accurately remember events that occurred during this time.

If the person in the OR is there due to injury, stroke, heart attack or imminent or recent “death”, those conditions also affect cognition in a major way, obviously. Perception and memory are vastly influenced by such events, due to pain, shock, insults to organs and systems, fear, stress, confusion, panic, medications, oxygen starvation and many other factors.

Knowing all this, I am skeptical of NDEs that occur in ORs after sedation/anesthetics have been administered and when patients are in extremis (i.e., cardiac arrest). I think there are abundant down-to-earth explanations for a person having dreams and visions and altered perceptions and mistaken interpretations of it all.

(Excerpted from this thread):

http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,246758,246758#msg-246758

From an article in the magazine Scientific American MIND:

“…mirrors can reveal a great deal about the brain, with implications for psychology, clinical neurology and even philosophy. They can help us explore the way the brain puts together information from different sensory channels such as vision and somatic sensations (touch, muscle and joint sense).”
[It gives instructions for setting up a mirror].

[It gives examples of actions to take that create optical illusions].

Eg: Place one hand on either side of a table in front of the mirror. Looking into the right side of the mirror, the reflection of your right hand will be optically superimposed in the same place where you feel your left hand to be.

Moving your right hand will look in the mirror like your left hand is moving, but your brain perceives it to be still. “The conflict creates a slight jolt; it feels spooky, sometimes mildly uncomfortable. The brain abhors discrepancies.”

If you do the opposite, keeping the right hand still and moving the left hand, the left hand will look like it’s still but feels like it is moving. Again, this causes a jolt.

“Why the jolt? The answer resides in the right superior and inferior parietal lobules (located above your right ear), where signals from your various senses – visual, somatic – converge to create your internal sense of a body image. Stand up now and close your eyes. Either raise your arms or let them dangle by your side. Obviously you have a vivid sense of being “anchored” in your body except under special circumstances (such as ketamine anesthesia).”

(Note the fact that a certain type of anesthesia is known to produce "out-of-body" experiences).

The article goes on to explain in more detail exactly how the brain perceives your body’s position and sensations and how the brain tries to make sense what is going on. It states that your perception (of touch in this case) is “unaffected by your higher-level intellectual knowledge of the optics of the situation. Your perceptual systems integrating vision and touch are on autopilot, …, applying their own statistical rules.”

The article describes an out-of-body experience (illusion):

“Have a friend sit behind [a]…writing desk. In front of the desk, place a mirror so that it covers it completely and you can see only your friend’s torso behind the desk. Now stand at a distance of 20 feet from the desk, look at her and carefully align her torso with the reflection your lower trunk and feet. Now walk toward the desk, and you will see your friend “walking toward you” with her feet moving in perfect synchrony with your own. …you will have a spooky sensation of an out-of-body experience with “you” out there inhabiting your friend’s body, presumably because this is the only way your brain can interpret the perfect synchrony of her legs and yours."

“Perception is a multilayered phenomenon – hence, it is prone to endless paradoxes in contrived situations."

(Vilayanur S. Ramachandran and Diane Rogers-Ramachandran, Reflections on the Mind, Scientific American Mind, July/August 2011: 18-21)

I work with a neurologist who sees a lot of patients with epilepsy and other types of "spells". One recent patient had powerful experiences of abrupt awakening due to loud, frightening noises. One night she was convinced that a construction crew was doing demolition on a building next door but when she got up and looked out the window nobody was there. Another night she thought she heard several gunshots outside. Again, there were no gunshots. It turns out to be a case of apparent seizures/partial seizures or some other abnormality within her own brain. She went with her observations that the sounds she was hearing were not based in actual occurrences and rather than insisting that something had happened, even though she was the only one hearing it, she sought medical attention (which to me is the most rational first reaction). With accurate diagnosis and possibly drug therapy to get the "spells" or seizures under control, she will likely no longer hear the noises. This to me is a good example of how the brain is susceptible to misperceptions due to the many sensory, chemical and other influences upon it.

So-called visions, visitations and miracles, such as the Virgin Mary appearing to young girls in Portugal in 1917, are seen by some to foretell the continuation of life after mortal death.

One article describing the first vision states:

"After the first visit to the children by Mary, "[t]he children subsequently wore tight cords around their waists to cause pain, performed self-flagellation using stinging nettles, abstained from drinking water on hot days, and performed other works of penance and mortification of the flesh. Most important, Lúcia said that the lady had asked them to pray the rosary every day, repeating many times that the rosary was the key to personal and world peace. This had particular resonance since many Portuguese men, including relatives of the visionaries, were then fighting in World War I."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Our_Lady_of_F%C3%A1tima

This reflects the same criticisms we hear about NDEs in that what people see and hear is what would be expected given the culture and circumstances of the person(s) involved. In Fatima, the people were strongly religious and the instructions given in the vision reflect their Catholic faith (rosary, penance) rather than, say, Buddhist rites.

This parallels to me the out-of-body type experiences people have in ORs, under anesthesia and/or in the midst of a physical crisis where the brain misperceives sensory input. This can be explained simply as oxygen deprivation, effects of anesthesia, side effects of medications, and any number of other explainable physical phenomena. In Fatima, there were other factors at play but they can be explained by down-to-earth factors, imho.

Some posters have mentioned people's experiences of hearing conversations in other rooms as being proof on the side of NDEs and/or afterlife. I don't know why this happens, or if it really does, but it in no way convinces me of anything to do with life after death. A person in crisis (near death) apparently develops super-ears and that signifies the reality of an afterlife? I don't get it.

My abiding question is why such visions and enhanced experiences end up being so mundane. Mary, the Sainted Mother of the Saviour of the World returns to earth to instruct young girls to say their rosary? Hello? That's the message from the eternities? That indicates there's life after death? One could hope for a more straightforward statement.

On one of Steve Benson's recent threads about NDEs, Dagny asks:

”What is more likely: that an elaborate attempt to explain why we don't really die using descriptions that defy physics might be true, or that the brain is reacting in reasonable ways to stimuli, oxygen, electrical firing, injury or physiology?”

http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,256834,256834#msg-256834

I go with the science/medicine on this one. As long as there is a physical explanation for what we perceive I don’t attribute it to a supernatural or miraculous occurrence.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: July 28, 2011 12:28AM

. . . from a scientific essay I quoted in an earlier post regarding an experiment done using written messages in hospital operating theaters to test the validity of alleged NDEs. It might align with what appears to be your clear skepticism per the idea of a disembodied mind hovering high above the OR table where signs resting on top of a tall cabinet can supposedly be seen by this free-floating mind thing-a-mah-bob and reported later when the patient comes to.

First quoting you: "[A poster said in a previous thread] 'What if a person who was undergoing surgery saw signs saying "STOP' or 'YIELD' on top of very tall cabinets inside the operating room, which they had never been in before during their cardiac arrest period?

"'How could an oxygen starved brain "see" that?????'

"[I replied]: I’ve been in a lot of ORs and have never seen very tall cabinets therein nor any signs resting atop one. Of all the signs to have in an OR, if any, why would they have stop and yield signs? Directions for porters bringing patients in and taking them out? Communication between the surgeon and the scrub nurse? I think not."
_____

Now from the scientific essay:

"If, as is indeed the case, the components of the NDE have plausible roots in brain physiology, this undermines the argument that they are a glimpse of the afterlife rather than a rich and very believable hallucination. It is for this reason that accounts of NDEs that contain elements that are logically incompatible with the hallucination hypothesis assume special importance. One attempt to gather objective evidence of this sort, rather than the usual anecdotal, after-the-fact accounts, has been initiated by the British psychiatrist, Peter Fenwick . . . . . He has had messages placed on ledges, above eye level, in the operating theaters of the hospital where he works. If a surgical patient should have an NDE/OBE, then his or her free-floating mind should be able to read the otherwise inaccessible message and recall it upon re-awakening. As yet, no one has been able to provide this kind of objective evidence, which would admittedly create serious problems for the materialist view of mind. In the absence of such strong proof, the spiritually-inclined must fall back on the next best thing: those cases where it seems highly unlikely that the revived person could have known certain things unless his or her fully-conscious spiritual self had been observing from outside the body."

(Hayden Ebbern, Sean Mulligan and Barry L. Beverstein "Maria's Near-Death Experience: Waiting for the Other Shoe to Drop," pp. 1-4, 12; reprinted in "Skeptical Inquirer," Vol. 20, No. 4, July/August 1996, at: http://records.viu.ca/www/ipp/pdf/NDE.pdf)

Edited 9 time(s). Last edit at 07/28/2011 05:56PM by steve benson.

Posted by: get her done ( )
Date: July 28, 2011 09:54AM

Steve you are usually correct in your postings. I have had OBE experiences. as I have posted before. Your opinion is based on what you believe and what others have told you. Having personal experience is some strong evidence,knock, knock,knock,....what is wanted....truth, not opinion or speculation....I am an atheist but have been out of body.....can't explain..can you???

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/28/2011 11:14AM by get her done.

Posted by: get her done ( )
Date: July 28, 2011 11:18AM

I for one, am very interested in the outcome of this study. Please keep us updated. Steve may be right again, but God,(atheist God), I got to be right on something, someday. The odds are pointing towards me....

Posted by: robertb ( )
Date: July 28, 2011 11:56AM

Part of the AWARE study includes signs suspended close to the ceiling with words or symbols facing the ceiling so they cannot be observed from below. Apparently the OR staff is unaware of what these are. I found a couple of comments on this interesting: First that this methodology assumes people who experience NDEs invariable look down from above, and second, that people who experience NDEs remember everything they see. So, if nothing else, the study will bring up issues about methodology and assumptions.

One of the men I have seen in counseling for three years only recently told me when he was a battlefield medic two soldiers he worked on while they were dying described NDE experiences to him. He said he was shocked at the time and I was the only person he had talked with about it. He said he was afraid to tell anyone because they'd believe he was crazy. I suspect that happens a lot with people who have experienced NDEs.

Posted by: Finally Free! ( )
Date: July 28, 2011 12:28PM

I hate to sound callous, but if the person who is dying is able to describe the out of body experience, then they aren't dead. They may sound like amazing stories, and I have no doubt that what they are experiencing is absolutely "real" to them, but but that doesn't mean that it's true.

The brain is amazing, it has complicated software to deal with all kinds of situations, including a virtual reality simulator, to deal with everything from simply filling in blind spots, dealing with imagination and dreaming while sleeping. The VR can be complete, including all senses.

As for hearing conversations, that they "couldn't", I'm not aware of (and granted I haven't done a lot of research, but you'd think this kind of thing would be published far and wide) a single instance where this has been independently verified. I'm betting that a bunch of these can be explained away with the person waking up, still getting their bearings on the world, and the other person coming in saying something like "So and So and I were just talking about xyz" and the person with the NDE having a similar memory glitch as deja vu, where the "remember" hearing the conversation and their brain just fills in the rest. Suggestion can be a powerful thing, especially when the brain isn't functioning at its fullest capacity.

I have a feeling that if a scientist were able to verify even one case of an NDE, they would be broadcasting it from the roof tops... Imagine the funding they would get from pretty much everywhere to try and reproduce the situation. They would be rock stars.

In a side note, I'm curious what an Atheist thinks the afterlife will be like if they don't believe in God (the definition of atheist). Will it be floating around, as a disembodied cloud, listening into people's conversations for eternity? What would happen when the sun finally collapses and the earth is destroyed? What about billions of years later when the universe dies in it's heat death, where all usable energy is pretty much spent? It seems like a pretty sad and long existence with not a lot of purpose... How would that bring comfort, why would anyone hope for that?

Date: July 28, 2011 05:52PM

Finally Free! Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I hate to sound callous, but if the person who is
> dying is able to describe the out of body
> experience, then they aren't dead.

Hence,*Near* Death Experience :-) I've also been told of OBEs under great stress in which the person sees himself from a third-person point of view. Not an NDE but another alteration of consciousness. I am open to whether it is all a physical brain thing or there is something more to say about consciousness in it.

Date: July 28, 2011 06:15PM

But that's the point, isn't it?

How is a "Near" death experience proof of an after death existence... It's an almost but not quite there type thing. So far, an NDE or an OBE experience does not equate to an *immortal* anything. If it were to "prove" anything, it's that there is something that can possibly survive outside the body... It does not *prove* that it can outlive the body, or be anywhere close to immortal. If you believe in the NDE, maybe that's the visual representation of the shutdown of the "soul"... None of it is an actual proof of life after death.

It seems to me that people who have an NDE, jump right to "hey, I'm going to live forever in a non-corporeal state", instead of "that was a neat out of body experience brought on my the trama my body was going though"...

If you could prove NDE's, it would be a first step. If you could somehow make it repeatable and measurable, that would be the next step... Some may say it's nit-picky, but it's not, a bit part of experimentation is to not draw conclusions that aren't based in evidence.

Date: July 28, 2011 07:46PM

You're singing to the choir as far as needing evidence. One of the difficulties with NDEs and other paranormal phenomenon is repeatability. That could be because it is complex or infrequent or really doesn't exist. I agree with you the NDEs would be only a first step in determining if thee is life after death. Should it be shown that those hidden signs could be seen, it would be a demonstration that consciousness exists outside the brain, although you could argue that in itself that does not make the case for the endurance of individual identity after death. There are other (speculative) models for how identifying information might exist after death without it meaning that an individual is still alive in the sense we think of it, but they assume an "over-mind"or PSI phenomena, which, of course, would be disputed.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/28/2011 07:51PM by robertb.

Posted by: nevermo-beck ( )
Date: July 28, 2011 10:02PM

Finally Free wrote:
>
> In a side note, I'm curious what an Atheist thinks
> the afterlife will be like if they don't believe
> in God (the definition of atheist). Will it be
> floating around, as a disembodied cloud, listening
> into people's conversations for eternity? What
> would happen when the sun finally collapses and
> the earth is destroyed? What about billions of
> years later when the universe dies in it's heat
> death, where all usable energy is pretty much
> spent? It seems like a pretty sad and long
> existence with not a lot of purpose... How would
> that bring comfort, why would anyone hope for
> that?

I can't speak for all atheists, but many whom I know think, as I do, that when you die, you're dead - no more consciousness. Like before you were born (LDS pre-existence notwithstanding!) - there's just...nothing.

ETA: And for me, it's not about "bring[ing] comfort," or "hop[ing] for" anything - the above is just what I think happens.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/28/2011 10:06PM by nevermo-beck.

Date: July 28, 2011 12:53PM

The trouble is, it wasn't actually or literally "out-of-body." You just thought it was, for all the reasons noted by the study to which I directed you, and those like you.

In that succinct debunking of Moody-ite NDEs, entitled "Maria's Near-Death Experience: Waiting for the Other Shoe to Drop," authors Hayden Ebbern, Sean Mulligan and Barry L. Beverstein of Simon Fraser University (Burnaby, B.C, Canada) aptly describe belief in NDEs as nothing more than dualistic spiritualism bordering on the occult--which, in the final analysis, is religiously-rooted in faith, not factually-footed in science. The authors describe NDEs as "so-called 'near-death experiences" that are essentially "comforting beliefs" which their faithful adherents hold to "as evidence for survival of the soul"--a belief, the authors say, "is perhaps the most comforting belief of all."

They explain what is meant by the term "NDE," as defined within the context of the public frenzy these episodes have stirred in the hearts of believers yearning for human immortality:

"Since Raymond Moody ('Life After Life,' 1975, New York: Bantam) coined the term 'near-death experience' to describe a reasonably consistent set of experience recalled by about a third of those who are resuscitated after near-fatal incidents, such descriptions have been welcomed with enthusiasm by a large segment of the public.

"The NDE typically begins with a sense of serenity and relief, followed by a feeling that the self is leaving the body (the 'out-of-body experience,' or OBE). From this vantage point, the disembodied self sometimes feels that it is observing attempts to revive its lifeless body.

"A subset of those who reach the OBE stage further reports being propelled through a spiral tunnel toward a bright light. For some, the light eventually resolves into a significant religious figure, deceased relative or friend, vista of paradise, etc. As rescue procedures begin to take effect, these patients often report feeling great reluctance at being pulled back into the painful, uncertain everyday world. . . .

"Although reports of NDEs have accumulated over the centuries, the rate seems to have increased dramatically in recent times. This is likely due to vast improvements in emergency medicine, coupled with a resurgence of religious fundamentalism worldwide. The spiritual interpretation of NDEs is reinforced by the mass media which prosper by pandering to public longings of all sorts.

"The concept of personal immortality is, in the final analysis, a metaphysical proposition that can only be accepted on faith . . . . While faith alone used to be sufficient to bolster such convictions, the growing prestige of science has left many more sophisticated believers uneasy in the absence of more solid proof of an afterlife. In response, a field of 'near-death studies' has emerged with the thinly-veiled agenda of providing a scientific gloss for religious views of an afterlife.

"About the same time, there emerged another field known as 'anomalistic psychology'. . . . It accepts that experiences such as NDEs and OBEs can seem exceedingly real to those who have them, but offers many reasons to doubt their reality outside the mind of the percipient . . . . Anomalistic psychology seeks naturalistic explanations for various seemingly supernatural states of consciousness based on sound psychological and neurophysiological research."

The authors then commence a successful logical duel against the post-death notion of "dualism":

"To accept notions such as survival after death, disembodied minds and a host of other parapsychological phenomena, one must adopt some form of the philosophical doctrine known as dualism . . . . Dualism asserts that mind is fundamentally different from the physical body, essentially equivalent to the religious concept of any immaterial soul. If dualism is correct, it is possible, some say, for mind or consciousness to disengage temporarily from the body but still retain self-awareness and the ability to gather information and interact physically with the environment. Many dualists also believe that their spiritual selves are immortal and that they will eventually abandon their physical bodies and assume a separate existence in some other realm. All of this is impossible from the standpoint of material monists who assert that mind is equivalent to and inseparable from the functioning of individual brains."

The authors then link NDE belief to devotion to doctrines of both the occult and religious fundamentalism:

"Not surprisingly, NDE accounts are welcomed by many occultists because they appear to be a major impediment to the materialist worldview they find so distasteful. Likewise in fundamentalists circles, NDEs are hailed as a vindication for various spiritual teachings. Materialists readily concede that the subjective experiences of the NDE FEEL compellingly real. Indeed, they contend that NDEs helped suggest the concept of the immortal soul to our ancestors in the first place. Despite the subjective realness of the NDE, however, modern neuroscience offers not only a wealth of reasons to doubt the possibility of disembodied minds but it also provides much evidence that the compelling subjective phenomena of the NDE can be generated by known brain mechanisms . . . . Believers counter that the NDE seems too real to have been a dream or hallucination but they forget that what we MEAN by the term 'hallucination' is an internally-generated experience so detailed, emotional and believable that it is indistinguishable from ordinary perceptions of reality . . . ."

The authors further note that so-called "near-death experiences" are "always reported by people who have not really died [as in the case of Betty Eadie, whose claims are coming up for dissection and disposal]. . . . With the advent of modern resuscitation techniques, . . . it [has] bec[o]me possible in some cases to restore breathing and pulse, often as long as several minutes after they have died. During CPA [cardiopulmonary arrest], the brain undergoes several biochemical and physiological changes but by relying on its limited back-ups of stored oxygen and metabolic fuels, certain aspects of consciousness can be sustained, albeit in a somewhat degraded fashion. Thus, if the resuscitation is successful, it is not surprising that there might be some residual memories from the time one was dying, but not yet dead.

"That there should be some overlap in the recollections of the minority of revived CPA patients who recall anything from the interval tells us more about how the brain ordinarily creates our sense of self and the feeling that there is an external reality than it does about the possibility of an afterlife. Much can be learned from studying the orderly fashion in which these internally-constructed models shut down when the brain is traumatized but because those who have been revived did not reach the irreversible state of brain death, any experiences they recall cannot be said to have come from 'the other side.'"

The authors also point out that NDEs are hardly unique to claims of near-death "proofs" of after-death "reality":

"Furthermore, the subjective contents of the NDE are anything but unique to the onset of death. The basic elements of the NDE are common to hallucinations of various sorts; i.e., they are also found in psychedelic drug states, psychoses and migraine and epileptic attacks . . . . Similar experiences have been reported in a surprisingly high proportion of those who panic during natural disasters, when they are psychologically traumatized but in no real physical danger . . . .

"If, as is indeed the case, the components of the NDE have plausible roots in brain physiology, this undermines the argument that they are a glimpse of the afterlife rather than a rich and very believable hallucination. It is for this reason that accounts of NDEs that contain elements that are logically incompatible with the hallucination hypothesis assume special importance. One attempt to gather objective evidence of this sort, rather than the usual anecdotal, after-the-fact accounts, has been initiated by the British psychiatrist, Peter Fenwick . . . . . He has had messages placed on ledges, above eye level, in the operating theaters of the hospital where he works. If a surgical patient should have an NDE/OBE, then his or her free-floating mind should be able to read the otherwise inaccessible message and recall it upon re-awakening. As yet, no one has been able to provide this kind of objective evidence, which would admittedly create serious problems for the materialist view of mind. In the absence of such strong proof, the spiritually-inclined must fall back on the next best thing: those cases where it seems highly unlikely that the revived person could have known certain things unless his or her fully-conscious spiritual self had been observing from outside the body."

In light of lack of compelling evidence for NDEs and OBEs being supposedly real experiences occurring outside the realm of the physical body and/or brain, the authors conclude with this cautionary reminder from Demosthenes, offered some two millennia ago:

"Nothing is easier than self-deceit, for what each man wishes, that he also believes to be true."

(Hayden Ebbern, Sean Mulligan and Barry L. Beverstein "Maria's Near-Death Experience: Waiting for the Other Shoe to Drop," pp. 1-4, 12, original emphasis; reprinted in "Skeptical Inquirer," Vol. 20, No. 4, July/August 1996, at: http://records.viu.ca/www/ipp/pdf/NDE.pdf)
_____

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/28/2011 04:04PM by steve benson.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: July 28, 2011 01:30PM

...if the people arguing so forcefully that NDE's, OOBE's etc. all have a physical explanation have ever had such an experience themselves. I think if they did, they might not be quite so quick to dismiss them out of hand.

I have had OOBE, clairsentient, and clairaudient experiences. Could they be hypnagogic dreams, REM intrusions, or hallucinations? Perhaps. But I studied my own dreams for many years, and all I can say is that these paranormal experiences were like no other dreams that I knew of.

For many years, I recorded my dreams every night. I got to a point where I could remember 5 or 6 dreams every night with good recall. I was able to have (and at times induce) lucid dreams with some ability to control them. For a while, I experiemented with the ability to "ride" the dividing point between waking and sleeping consiousness for as long as possible. I thought of it as a type of mental surfing. All of this to say that I think I understood what my mind was doing at night about as well as any non-scientist possbily could.

The clairsentient and OOBE experiences (what some my refer to as hypnogogic dreams) are very different in quality. One of mine was so different that it felt like a new sensory channel had been opened. But they are different in content as well. Why would I come to consciousness only to feel my legs floating up in the air? Why would I feel someone grabbing my hand as I drifted off to sleep? Why would I feel a cat circling around my head, and feel its fur and its purr? Why do I hear the very loud noise, likened to a jet engine or a passing train, that OOBE writers have written about? In other words, while in this state, why am I supposedly dreaming about things (both in form and content) that I *never* dream about otherwise?

It may be that there a perfectly rational explanations for what I am experiencing. But the experiences are different enough to leave me open to the possibility that there is something to them.

My personal belief is that we are multi-dimensional beings. I believe that our spirits leave our bodies most nights, and that our consciousness will survive our physical deaths. I don't know that science can or will ever support even a part of my beliefs. But I don't consider it out of the realm of possibility.

Posted by: kolobian ( )
Date: July 28, 2011 01:38PM

I also have kept a dream journal and keep a studious record of my dreams. I am able to induce lucid dreams 2-3 times per week, and while in the lucid dream not only can I take control, but I can deepen the lucid dream by choosing to fall asleep in the dream and wake up lucid, which always works, and results in a much more clear, sensitive experience.

I also have no doubt that this is all happening in my brain, which is why I am able to remember it when I wake up. If my "spirit" had left my body to some other dimension how do you reconcile being able to recall with my brain what I experienced the following morning?

While meditating I have had what I experienced to be OOBE as well. I felt myself leaving my body, floating in a corner of the room and watching myself meditating. I was able to look around, take stock of what was in the room. I could "hear" myself breathing from across the room. I could "hear" my girlfriend doing the dishes in the kitchen. I also remember that I saw myself wearing a black polo shirt. In reality, i was wearing a wife-beater. This all happened in my brain.

I am not willing to build a bridge between what I experienced and what I want those experiences to mean. Building that kind of bridge is dishonest. I prefer to let the experience speak for itself and not force it into a specific context that makes me feel good.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/28/2011 01:39PM by kolobian.

Date: July 28, 2011 02:13PM

kolobian Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I am not willing to build a bridge between what I experienced and what I want those experiences to mean. Building that kind of bridge is dishonest. I prefer to let the experience speak for itself and not force it into a specific context that makes me feel good.

I think it's fine that you simply choose to observe without ascribing meaning (although ascribing meaning seems to be a favorite activity of humans in general! ;-)

I just wish that there was more observation going on. Many people have really good, scientific explanations *without ever having had the experience.*

It kinda reminds me of the time when my gynecologist told me that I *could not possibly* be feeling any pain "down there" because that's what his science told him!

Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: July 28, 2011 05:27PM

So, you are saying that scientists need to experience radiation sickness before they can put forward scientific evidence as to the real cause of radiation sickness?

That is what your claims seem to be implying to me.

Date: July 28, 2011 06:00PM

summer Wrote:

>
> I just wish that there was more observation going
> on. Many people have really good, scientific
> explanations *without ever having had the
> experience.*
>

Having an experience for oneself certainly changes a person's appreciation and grasp of it. For myself, I believe it is impossible *not* to ascribe meaning. What *is* possible to hold more than one meaning for an experience.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/28/2011 06:05PM by robertb.

Date: July 28, 2011 01:55PM

. . . and not by resorting into wandering the speculative lands of the murky metaphysical, inhabited as it is by free-floating minds and disembodied spirits.

After doing the heavy lifting of empirical, testable, falsifiable research, these scientists then call NDEs and OBEs what they really are: intra-cranial, physically brain-rooted realities.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 07/28/2011 04:02PM by steve benson.

Date: July 28, 2011 05:24PM

I do question the interpretation of those experiences.

I wounder why the NDE supporters have to misrepresent the criticisms of their claims to try to make a point.

Date: July 28, 2011 05:22PM

If, as I am virtually certain it will, shows that NDEs are not proof of the afterlife, people will make up ways around the findings.

For example, there has been mention about one test being signs facing up in the OR. Assuming this is true, lets say nobody that has a NDE reports anything about those signs. The NDE believers could simply say "The out of body soul was not high enough to see the signs" Or "The signs were not what was important to the out of body soul so the signs were not notices".

Date: July 28, 2011 06:03PM

It cuts the other way, too, MJ. If the study should happen to report out-of-body experiences of seeing the signs, some critics will say there is a flaw in the methodology or, as a last resort, that the results were falsified.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/28/2011 06:04PM by robertb.

Posted by: ExMormonRon ( )
Date: July 28, 2011 12:54PM

Date: July 28, 2011 01:12PM

Near Death Experience. Or, some would say, proof of life after death, and others would say, a hallucination brought on by the trauma of almost dying (or medically dying and bring brought back).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/28/2011 01:12PM by Finally Free!.

Posted by: kolobian ( )
Date: July 28, 2011 01:13PM

NDE = DMT

Near Death Experience = Dimethyltryptamine

Date: July 28, 2011 01:13PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/28/2011 01:58PM by steve benson.

Posted by: bignevermo ( )
Date: July 28, 2011 04:00PM

"yearning for human immortality:"
actually i think this is the basis for most if not all religions!! we seem to be an arrogant species!!
yeah i want to continue on! will I though? guess i will find out one day....or not!

Posted by: Mrs. Estzerhaus ( )
Date: July 28, 2011 10:24PM

I think NDE's, UFO's and the paranormal is some of the most exciting science out there. The so called "skeptics" today have hyjacked science, and are nearly worshipped for it!

A skeptic doubts, inquires, questions, ponders, etc. But these pseudoskeptics do anything but. They attack, ridicule, discredit and suppress anything and everything that challenges the materialist reductionist paradigm. But don't take my word for it. Just look at any article by James Randi, Michael Shermer, or Skeptical Inquirer, for example, and you will see that there is no questioning of what they are told, doubt or pondering of possibilities at all. All they do is ridicule and attack anything related to paranormal and psychic phenomena, holistic medicine, and conspiracies. That's not what skepticism is. The founder of the term itself meant this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skeptic
In classical philosophy, skepticism refers to the teachings and the traits of the 'Skeptikoi', a school of philosophers of whom it was said that they 'asserted nothing but only opined.' (Liddell and Scott) In this sense, philosophical skepticism, or Pyrrhonism, is the philosophical position that one should suspend judgment in investigations.[1]

Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary, a skeptic is:
"One who is yet undecided as to what is true; one who is looking or inquiring for what is true; an inquirer after facts or reasons."

Posted by: Gorspel Dacktrin ( )
Date: July 28, 2011 10:41PM

It may have had something to do with having gotten home late the night before due to having traveled a great distance to do dead dunking in the temple and then having to travel the same great distance back--and then getting up early to go to school.

Anyhow, like I said, I blacked out in the lunchline. One second, I'm sitting there trying to decide whether to select milk or juice as my beverage...and the next thing I know I'm flat on the floor looking up at a crowd of people wondering whether I'm dead.

As a then-TBM, this was disturbing to me. Where did the eternal me go between point A (standing in line) and point B (being flat on the floor)? It even made me question the term "blacking out." Until experiencing it myself, I had always thought of it as things going black and then you come back on line. But there was not even any perception of things going black. There was just a complete gap in consciousness--just like watching a movie instantly change from one scene to the next and the next scene has one of those captions like "three years later" or something.

This experience doesn't really prove anything one way or another, I suppose. But it made me start questioning a lot of things. In particular, I realized that Mormonism gives us a huge amount of generalities about the soul or spirit and such that sound like "answers" to some of life's big questions, but when you really look at what Mormonism offers, there are no specifics and no details. For example, if there is a spirit that exists within the body, what does it do when the body's brain blacks out? Well, if it exists, it either blacks out right along with the brain or maybe it goes off to check e-mail in the spirit world while waiting for the brain to restart, but just doesn't write anything about that into the brain's memory. Well, that's just idle speculationizing.

The take-away message for me from that experience is that the LDS Church and its "authorities" don't know jack about the afterlife. All they do is use buzzwords like "eternity," "soul," "spirit" and such, but if pressed for details they have none to offer. I also realized that I know jack about the afterlife, including whether there is one. I vaguely know what I want to believe about a possible afterlife, but I've had to make my peace with the fact that I really don't "know" anything worthwhile about it.

Date: July 28, 2011 11:01PM

I used to faint/black out a lot...still do on occasion. Over the years, I learned to recognize the subtle signs that a blackout was imminent. I'm fairly composed about it now, and I can even warn medical professionals when I'm about to go out. But if you're not used to it, it *can* seem that it happens abruptly with no warning.

The one time when I had an experience like yours was when I was under anesthesia. When I came to, and reflected on the experience, it felt like the time when I while under was nothing but a void...no dreams, nothing. Just a complete blank. I remember thinking that if there is nothing after death, that's what it must be like!

Date: July 29, 2011 12:03AM

Being under general anesthesia several times was like that for me. Just out and nothing and then waking up in the recovery room, which wasn't very pleasant.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: July 28, 2011 10:43PM

There is no way those signs are kept secret. All it would take is for the person who made copies of the sign, or who suspected they might be around, or who did the research to mention them and the gig is up.

It would be very difficult to prove with certainty that the person claiming to see the sign didn't have access to that information some other way. A person who is practiced in asking leading questions could probably guess what was on the sign (I'm seeing an S...yeah, it was an S or a T). You know how psychics can work people to make it look they guessed out of the blue.

Also, surgery rooms don't generally have places that sit and gather dust where some sign would be lying unnoticed. The tops of shelves, light fixtures, etc. get cleaned. I'll bet the whole cleaning crew knows what is on the signs.

You never know though. I have to wonder why someone who managed to leave their body would be snooping around reading things.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.