Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: mkay ( )
Date: July 15, 2011 12:46PM

We're talking mid to late 80's here.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Comfortably Numb ( )
Date: July 15, 2011 12:51PM

Free to Choose and Not of This World - yeah, remember both.

Posted by: elee ( )
Date: July 15, 2011 01:31PM

It would have been more apt had it been called "The Freedom To Obey", though.

Posted by: steele ( )
Date: January 27, 2017 12:54AM

elee Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It would have been more apt had it been called
> "The Freedom To Obey", though.

^^ this ^^

The premise made absolutely no sense. "If you obey then you remain free to choose; if you do not follow the commandments then you are no longer free to choose." Even as a die-hard, straight arrow TBM that struck me as complete nonsense.

Posted by: Dave in Hollywood ( )
Date: July 15, 2011 02:15PM

I remember Tom Trails and Like Unto Us. I honestly think I may still have the LP of Like Unto Us in the garage.

Posted by: quebec ( )
Date: September 23, 2013 12:03PM

One of my sisters had the long play of Like unto Us. And now I hope the songs don't creep in my mind and stay stuck there all day.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/23/2013 12:04PM by quebec.

Posted by: liesarenotuseful ( )
Date: January 27, 2017 09:42AM

oh, boy. now it's in my head.

Heed Moroni's promise, pray and search it through, and the spirit will bear witness, that the book of mormon's true.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: September 23, 2013 01:09PM

I also only remember Tom Trails. Don't EVEN get that song stuck in my head.

Posted by: Tom Trails ( )
Date: January 26, 2017 06:15PM

But Lilly!

Posted by: moronie-balonie ( )
Date: January 27, 2017 08:10AM

I remember Tom Trails and Liken unto us too. (cue music ) Tom, your life is changing.... Crap. now I'm gonna be hearing that in my head all day long.

Posted by: Major Bidamon ( )
Date: July 15, 2011 02:33PM

yes! that was from my generation. 80's utah kids and corny music. as the only mormon in my school, it was kind of surreal.

Posted by: moonbeam ( )
Date: July 15, 2011 10:04PM

Gah! Just reading the headline one of the horrid theme songs just popped in to my head. I'm a few years younger than you and I vaguely remember them. At least the music.

Posted by: Utard ( )
Date: November 09, 2011 10:31PM

I remember them. I was in em... Yikes!

Posted by: student ( )
Date: November 09, 2011 10:35PM

They were aweful. They could have at least sprung for real video instead of snapshots and voiceovers. But then they might have needed actors.

What an aweful memory.

Posted by: the god of thunder ( )
Date: November 09, 2011 10:59PM

Yep used to watch them down here in oz used to think who are these stinking yanks and how do they relate to me.

Posted by: karin ( )
Date: November 09, 2011 11:18PM

Posted by: ginger ( )
Date: November 09, 2011 11:23PM

Yep. My friend and I used to laugh when they showed it.

Posted by: Janika ( )
Date: September 22, 2013 10:16PM

I remember a more advanced VHS series, and I have the cassette of the soundtrack still in my possession. Have been listening to it again, and I think the music has stood the test of time. I wish I could find or purchase a digital copy. This was an '87 edition. Felicia Sorensen (Swan Princess--horrible music by Lex DeAzevedo)sings a version of the Michael McLean song "will he really answer me"

Posted by: angel ( )
Date: September 23, 2013 12:02PM

I remember. We watched it my freshman year of seminary. That was 1987.

Posted by: Mr. Neutron ( )
Date: September 23, 2013 12:14PM

I remember I was dead tired and I hated it. The Holy Ghost really dropped the ball on that one. Or was it all my fault? Yes, I'm sure it was. I was too naughty to appreciate the ungodly hour and the ungodly filmstrip.

Posted by: Serenity ( )
Date: January 26, 2017 06:11PM

I'm in seminary now and know that stuff!!! Thanks ma and I love ya!!

Posted by: dp ( )
Date: January 27, 2017 12:06AM

A few months ago, this link to an *awesome* [sic] youtube channel made the rounds here on the board.

For your viewing (and listening) pleasure, I humbly post it again: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAnRNCf5m5I0pEdqYMfGOgA

Posted by: beyondashadow ( )
Date: January 27, 2017 01:47AM

When I was in Seminary, it was a film strip projector and tape recording with beeps signaling when to manually advance the film to the next scene.

And a mimeograph machine to make copies of stuff - with purple ink.

And the three methods of communication were Telephone, Telegraph and TeleWoman.

Posted by: Kendal Mint Cake ( )
Date: January 27, 2017 08:22AM

What about the 'Price Tag Rag' tune to make you feel guilty about enjoying going to the mall. Hypocrites of the highest order - now it's all "Let's go shopping" at Tommy's Mall.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: January 27, 2017 10:23AM

In my day (1960s) we snickered about a film called something like "Beer in Eagle City," an object lesson about two LDS teens caught up with friends who drive to Eagle City (is that in Idaho?) to have a night drinking beer. And then there was "Johnny Lingo" and "Cipher in the Snow." God, Mormon object lesson films were the worst. Some of them would feature a known actor, just to give it some modicum of credibility. On my mission we had a stupid film strip called "A Voice from the Dust," or some similar title, proving that the Book of Mormon was true. It was the most stupid of the stupid. We bored many an Italian family with that one.

Posted by: oxymormon ( )
Date: January 27, 2017 02:45PM

Was Free To Choose the series about a group of teens living in small town Utah somewhere?

I remember the "bad" girl runs away and ends up hitchhiking to California. My seminary class (early morning IN southern California)openly mocked the depiction of her "downfall" in the wicked,wicked state of CA. Even the teacher was rolling her eyes.

She tried to salvage the lesson by saying: "Okay...but what's the lesson to be learned?" To which I retorted: "Don't go to California or you'll end up on drugs and dead!"

The room relapsed into howls of mockery. Lesson was over for that morning.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: January 28, 2017 03:28PM

A completely distorted, made up definition of the word: agency.

"What Is Agency?
Agency is the ability and privilege God gives us to choose and to act for ourselves. Agency is essential in the plan of salvation. Without agency, we would not be able to learn or progress or follow the Savior. With it, we are “free to choose liberty and eternal life, through the great Mediator of all men, or to choose captivity and death, according to the captivity and power of the devil” ( 2 Nephi 2:27)."

In other words: Choose liberty or you get captivity of the devil.
Unique thinking in religion. They get to make up meanings for words to suit their belief system.

Remember: "free agency" --- another misnomer. Actually, it's an oxymoron in their teachings.
But nothing about real meaning of the word: agency is found in Mormon teachings.

Agency: a·gen·cy
ˈājənsē/Submit
noun
a business or organization established to provide a particular service, typically one that involves organizing transactions between two other parties.
"an advertising agency"
synonyms: business, organization, company, firm, office, bureau
"an advertising agency"
LAW
the office or function of an agent.
"a contract of agency"

Agency definition in law:Agency
A consensual relationship created by contract or by law where one party, the principal, grants authority for another party, the agent, to act on behalf of and under the control of the principal to deal with a third party. An agency relationship is fiduciary in nature, and the actions and words of an agent exchanged with a third party bind the principal.
An agreement creating an agency relationship may be express or implied, and both the agent and principal may be either an individual or an entity, such as a corporation or partnership.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/28/2017 03:29PM by SusieQ#1.

Posted by: beyondashadow ( )
Date: January 28, 2017 10:53PM

Someone who exercises Agency would be an Agent.

An Agent who exercises Agency without revealing the underlying agenda and purpose would be a Secret Agent.

If the underlying agenda and purpose is Sacred not Secret, then the operative could be called a ...

... drum roll ...

Sacred Agent

Maybe Mormon Missionaries should all call themselves Sacred Agents.

Posted by: TXRancher ( )
Date: January 29, 2017 12:22PM

My RM brother starred in one of those videos. He was the twentyish handsome character tempting a new member, lol.

He was so convincing as an apostate dude trying to lead a pretty girl astray with beer and other vices. Maybe because he is now that guy in real life and just as handsome, ha ha.

Posted by: UTUT ( )
Date: March 26, 2017 04:59PM

Dude my dad was in the Free to Choose videos. Was one of the main characters.

Posted by: Anonymous 2 ( )
Date: March 26, 2017 07:38PM

Wasn't Aaron Eckhart in this as well!???

Posted by: AlmostGone1 ( )
Date: March 26, 2017 08:50PM

I'm free to choose (beep) To win or loose (beep)

I totally remember those beeps for turning the next slide on the projector.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.