Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: keyboardcowboy ( )
Date: July 04, 2011 10:07AM

I am new here. Glad I found this site. I recently made the mistake of getting baptized into this complete farce of a religion not long ago after only a month after meeting the missionaries. I happened to be (still am) going through some tough times and wanted to find a church to attend. I used to live in Arizona, and seeing the Mormon people live righteous lives (or so I thought) kind of peaked my interests. Them touching commercials were also a contributing factor in my interest. I now live in another country and ran into the missionaries who invited me to church etc.

Boy was I ever wrong about this church! I am all about helping others and believe true charitable work is what life on earth is all about.I was floored to find out this church does nothing to help those in need except share their vast "knowledge" of the scriptures and ask for 10% of their income! Researching where the 10% of income goes is what brought me to this site.

I could go on and on with the mental warfare tactics that these sick people tried to employ on me but that would cause me to get a nasty case of carpel tunnel syndrome from typing so much. I come from a pretty rough background and have been around some true sociopaths such as pimps, drug dealers, etc. I never fell victim to any of their tricks, and believe me some of them were almost Hannibal Lectur like in their ability to rent space in the heads of people. I find it incredibly sad that so called God's people would try and use the exact same type of mental beat downs on me.

Bottom line is these invasive nutcases won't leave me alone. I have kind of slowed them down a bit by telling the missionaries that I want no contact, and by telling the bishop or president (sorry I forget...they are all just people to me) to take a hike. I have read how some of you on here have had trouble getting taken off the list. I will be damned if I even lift a finger to get my name removed. I was thinking the easier way would be to do something to get excommunicated. Nothing that would get me in trouble with the law, just something rather simple so that they can do the work for me. Any suggestions would greatly be appreciated.

Thank you very much to everyone on here for sharing your stories. My heart sincerely goes out to all of you. It has only been a short time for me. I can't even imagine what some of you former long standing members have been through and what you are still going through. Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: A ANON ( )
Date: July 04, 2011 10:25AM

"...their ability to rent space in the heads of people." -- That's beautiful cowboy! I wish I had some good advice, I just enjoyed what you had to say.

Hang in there parrdner!

Date: July 04, 2011 10:38AM

I was thinking of showing up to church all lit up on Jack Daniels. Then as the members showed me their fake love with a hug...reach around and give them a wedgie! Yank them mormon undies up towards the back of their neck with such force that they see stars and think they have arrived to the celestial planet. hahaha

Posted by: knotheadusc ( )
Date: July 04, 2011 11:23AM

Posted by: WiserWomanNow ( )
Date: July 04, 2011 10:43AM

…we certainly can relate to THAT feeling! How could a church that seemed to be so full of loving people, turn out to be nothing more than a money-demanding and service-demanding cult?

On the bright side, you have discovered this much earlier on than most of us did.

There's no way the Mormon church wants to share its ownership of its members with anyone else, so the easiest way to get excommunicated is simply to join another church.

On the other hand, unless there is another church you really like and want to join, that may not be the answer for you. So two other possibilities are:

1) to “repeatedly act in clear, open and deliberate public opposition to the Church or its leaders”-- to declare your belief that it is all a bunch of B.S. and especially to try to persuade current faithful members of this.

or

2) to reconsider resigning, which you can do by e-mail! The e-mail should go to Greg Dodge, the head of membership records at the Salt Lake City headquarters.

Here is the information you need, if you choose this option:

send email to: dodgegw@ldschurch.org
subject: Membership Resignation

**your name**
*DOB*, *city, state of birth*

**today's date**

Dear Greg Dodge,

This letter is my formal resignation from the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, effective immediately. As I am no longer a member, I ask that you permanently remove my name from the membership rolls of the church.

My resignation should be processed immediately. I will not accept any contact from our local leadership and will not discuss this with them. The only contact I want from the church is a single letter of confirmation stating that I am no longer a member of the church.

Thank You,
KeyboardCowboy
**current address**

Good luck, and let us know how things go. Welcome to the board!

Posted by: lissie ( )
Date: July 04, 2011 02:21PM

I've been waffling for over a year, and lazy about sending an actual letter.

I just did it, though. I sent the email. I told them to take my children off the membership rolls also.

OMG!

Date: July 04, 2011 03:08PM

Awesome!! I sent mine too. We better be hearing back from them soon. So cool that you can do it by e-mail. They better not be coming over here for one last dance either! I also printed up a letter and stuck it on my front door.

When I was ignoring them, one of them decided it would be a good idea to put a little mormon business card thing into my shoe on the front porch. I felt it as I was driving and I could have gotten into a car wreck if things played out differently. So ready for this cartoon show to come to an end!

Best of luck to you and your kids jan!

Date: July 04, 2011 10:56AM

Thanks for that awesome response wiser! That is great information. Especially this nice nugget of info, “repeatedly act in clear, open and deliberate public opposition to the Church or its leaders” I actually did this when I finally showed up to church after the stalking got so intense that I figured 3 hours a week sure beats the heck out of having to watch t.v while sitting on the floor below the window so they cant see in the windows! This clown of a president or whatever he is comes up to me in the teaching service and angrily waves me over for a meeting in his office. I told him that I am here to worship God and not him and that he needs to sit down and enjoy the Sunday service and stop acting like a stooge by trying to showcase his false sense of authority. Lots of people heard this and were slack jawed. That is very good to know! Thank you. If they start up again I will go to church and verbally piss on him in front of the members once more.

Posted by: lillium ( )
Date: July 04, 2011 11:09AM

Ha ha, you're funny! And you've got balls. I doubt being mean to the bish will get you exed. You will probably have to repeatedly get up in a class and try to convince the other members that Joseph Smith was a con man, he was not the prophet of god and neither is Tommy Monson, and that TSCC is nothing but the debbil's cult.

Date: July 04, 2011 11:42AM

Thats the thing I dont get lilium. WHY so many people in the church are afraid of these idiots just because they hold some sort of man made title?? I guess being raised Mormon or being a long time member plays a role in being afraid of the bishops/presidents. It just goes to show the high level of brainwashing this church conducts on its members. This guy here at this church is such a douche bag that it was hard for me to even look at him with a straight face. I used to give him the nickname "The Answer" because this guy seemed to think he knew EVERYTHING!. He was trying to tell ME about baseball and I used to play on a very high level, but that didn't matter because he was the bishop. He didn't even have a clue of what he was saying. Other members would laugh when I could only remember him as "Answer". They were quick to hush me up though. That is a true sign of a cult IMO. Nobody should worship another human being like that. Guess it all goes back to Joe Smith. I am glad that you all got out.

Posted by: unbeliever42 ( )
Date: July 04, 2011 01:52PM

It's the same reason that Catholics are so afraid of the Pope. Every cult/religion is indoctrinated into hero worship and fear of the top leadership.

Date: July 04, 2011 02:04PM

I know! WTF is so special about the pope?? People gather in the millions just to catch a glimpse of the pope waving his hand. When is the last time people have come together in that fashion to do the work of good in the world?? If the pope were a real humanitarian he would be embarrassed of the idolatry thrown onto him and direct them masses of people to get together for the good of humanity. Instead he goes home to his palace and eats his dinner with 24k gold utensils. I am now so dead set against the institution of religion!

Posted by: derrida ( )
Date: July 04, 2011 02:47PM

Please don't generalize unbeliever42. There are a lot of Catholics who question the Pope or past Popes.

And the level of critical discussion in Catholicism easily overwhelms anything one can find in Mormonism, unless you go to the halls of outer darkness (Sunstone), but then most Mormons think people who read Sunstone are one foot out of the chrutch.

PLUS, Protestantism is filled with dissenting voices. It's all about dissent and not worshipping the preacher/bishop. And you don't get kicked out of the Methodists for saying that the preacher is not the mouthpiece of God Almighty. Try that on a Mormon Stake President or Bishop. You keep it up and you will be facing a court of love. That's the difference between regular religions and cults.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/04/2011 02:49PM by derrida.

Posted by: Holy the Ghost ( )
Date: July 04, 2011 10:57AM

Unless you have been through the Temple you are not likely to get axed.
If I were you, I'd just send an email.

Posted by: WiserWomanNow ( )
Date: July 04, 2011 11:08AM

...is the best for your situation.

Furthermore, it will get the job done without creating unnecessary ill will. Remember that the bishops and members are programmed minions. The real problem lies with the church leadership.

Posted by: Charley ( )
Date: July 04, 2011 11:04AM

You could stand in front of the church every Sunday and pass out anti mormon material. That should do it.

Date: July 04, 2011 11:06AM

I couldn't afford to go to the Temple. Shucks! I will send an e-mail. Thanks for the info Ghost! I also started to attend services at the Salvation Army church where they actually have a community outreach to help people in the community. This church does not encourage giving money, especially if you can't afford it. They more encourage that you give of your time to the many things they do in the community. I am sure there are higher ups in this organization that are on the take but I guess that is to be expected. It felt good to help them set up for their community meals and help with the food bank. I don't get how people can feel good about giving 10% of their income and not knowing where the heck the money is going?? I do understand that giving money and time is sometimes hard. When you help people in need with a sincere heart it makes you feel like not only you matter, but that other people matter as well.

Date: July 04, 2011 11:22AM

LOL minions! I like that word. I never thought of Bishops as programmed for some reason. I do feel bad for the missionaries on missions. I do believe many of them have a good heart and think they are doing the right things. It has to be hard for them to leave home and deal with all the nonsense. I remember how hard it was to move away for school in an ideal situation. The ONLY thing holding me back from making an even bigger scene was the respect for the missionaries. It is good to know that all of the others have had brain transplants too. Thanks for all the info! Such a relief to know this is not just me. It is also hard to talk to people about this that have never been there. So happy my street smarts helped me to see this pretty early on.

Posted by: nickerickson ( )
Date: July 04, 2011 01:12PM

1. Screw the bishop's wife and daughter in front of him - repeatedly.

Or, 2. Follow WiserWomanNow advice and just submit your resignation. Maybe not as enjoyable, but less messy....

The resignation letter worked for me, and thankfully it went easy and with no love bombing or anything else. (I'm one of the lucky ones.)

Posted by: dthenonreligious ( )
Date: July 04, 2011 01:23PM

stand up in a meeting and proclaim that Ole Joe Smith was a false prophet.

2. Talk about your masturbation "problem" in the church foyer.

3. Hit on the SP's wife/daughters.

4. Show up to church shit faced, every Sunday.

5. If you play the piano, switch the music, too something more entertaining.

6. Develope alternate lyrics to Hymns and sing them loud, off key and use rude hand gestures.

7. You could always send in your resignation letter.

Date: July 04, 2011 01:33PM

haha! I like the one about alternate lyrics to the hymns! Start beat boxing!

There are lots of members who try and one up each other by belting out the hymns like they are some sort of superstar. That got annoying too.

I am making up the letter right now and going to send it off ASAP! I want to write some of the reasons why I left but I don't know if that is a good idea. I am following the guidelines as to how to make the letter that wonder posted.

I only seen the horror stories people have posted about trying to get off the list. It is good to know that it went smooth for some ex members. My biggest fear is them trying to come over and give a last push to get me back. I also would hate for it to take a long period of time. Anymore unwanted visits and I will flip out!

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: July 04, 2011 01:44PM

ASK QUESTIONS;

preferably ones they Can't Answer.

HAPPY FOURTH, EVERYBODY!

Date: July 04, 2011 01:56PM

Cool. I will just ask where the 10% tithing goes!

Posted by: jan ( )
Date: July 04, 2011 02:36PM

I wonder how many folks think they have to be excommunicated to get out. You don't. Take your own power back and resign.

It's easy! It's quick! With email, it's even free!!!

Posted by: amos2 ( )
Date: July 04, 2011 03:48PM

Sorry, late at night I get into abrasive moods...

1) you're a dumbass for falling for the religion. Take responsibility for your own ignorance and naivity that rendered you vulnerable to the morg. Knowing all about pimps and drug dealers and shit only makes you more of a dumbass, because they're dumbasses.

2) talking like oooh I'm gonna make them mormons notice my badassness is dumbassness. Don't be a sore loser. Be a sport about it and just walk away like a gracious loser.

3) they're not gonna bother with excommunicating your dumb ass unless you spend so much time trying to get them to that they have no choice.

Date: July 04, 2011 04:02PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/04/2011 04:16PM by keyboardcowboy.

Date: July 04, 2011 04:25PM

...was in-my-face, non-patronizing, jump-my-shit, call-me-out, you-aint-speshul, get-a-clue, slap-in-the-face reality.

That's happened to me alot, having my big mouth and all.

I wish you well, but save yourself the trouble of trying to give them trouble. Just resign.

Date: July 04, 2011 04:15PM

Falling for a religion that puts on a front doesn't make anyone dumb.

So is everyone who joined this board dumb?

Sore loser? How is leaving a cult being a loser? It is painfully obvious that you are still a member.

Read the rules and had to edit these posts.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/04/2011 04:29PM by keyboardcowboy.

Date: July 04, 2011 04:33PM

I was active TBM 18 years
Served a mission.
I'm 40 years old.
I mailed my resignation letter this year.
I almost committed suicide 2 years ago because of my religious worldview.
I'm upset?
You think you've been hurt by this religion?
Get in line behind the millions of others who were into it way deeper than you.
Like I said, you're a rookie.

Date: July 04, 2011 05:13PM

So being a "rookie" is grounds to call me names and be arrogant?? You may be in deeper than me...I think you are in deeper then you think.

I am sorry for your misfortunes. Do I think you are dumb, no. Getting a letter of resignation doesn't clear you of being a mormon. On paper it does, in reality no. The kind of judgmental venom that you typed to me proves that. Get over yourself. If you been hurt by the religion, respect others who have, regardless of how long they been a member.

What did you get out of calling me a dumb ass? Do you feel better now?

In the future, leave the name calling out of your posts. There are going to be "rookies" who come onto this board who might be feeling suicidal like you were.

Posted by: frost ( )
Date: July 04, 2011 03:54PM

Tell them you created a website to expose the church that should get you exed.It doesnt matter that the website doesnt exist.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.