Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: ExMormonRon ( )
Date: June 30, 2011 01:04PM

I've always marveled at how the geezers parade Sheri Dew out from time to time to give talks on women in the church. I'd like, just once, for her to have the opportunity to field questions from frazzled, proxac-gobbling mormon moms. I'd need just one of them to pose the following:

"Sister Dew? How is it that you, never married, no children and apparently sans prospects have avoided the pressures to get married in the temple and propogate the species? I was pressured to get married, then pressured to have kids, and by the age of 35, I'd been married for 15 years and had 9 children. Why is it that the profits have dubbed you as the voice of womanhood in the church to the extent that you give talks like "What REAL Woman Understand" and other rants on womanhood and marriage?"

Just once, please.

Ron

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: downsouth ( )
Date: June 30, 2011 01:08PM

Ron, are you getting in touch with your feminine side lately? Tampons and now womens talks? just asking

Date: June 30, 2011 01:12PM

Nah, on tampons I was reacting to the stereotyping of men being gynophobes, and I just have an axe to grind with Sheri Dew.

She has no bidness running around giving advice on womanhood and marriage.

Ron

Posted by: michael ( )
Date: June 30, 2011 02:01PM

ExMormonRon Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Nah, on tampons I was reacting to the stereotyping of men being gynophobes, and I just have an axe to grind with Sheri Dew.
>
> She has no bidness running around giving advice on womanhood and marriage.
>

Hopefully a big enough axe, Ron! (hehe)

Posted by: Simone Stigmata ( )
Date: June 30, 2011 10:50PM

I'm sure it's sufficient for his needs.

Posted by: Shiner Bock ( )
Date: June 30, 2011 02:18PM

Just like I'd LOVE to take away everything Monson and his wife have, but them on public assistance and let them live in a Cabrini–Green type public housing complex and THEN let him do his "don't worry, be happy" schtick.

Sheri is just an example of how the leadership in the Mormon Church is out of touch with the grunts in the trenches.

Posted by: Tristan-Powerslave ( )
Date: June 30, 2011 02:29PM

Womanhood & Marriage are not connected. So because I'm not married I have no right to talk to anyone about 'womanhood'? Don't worry I'm not defending Sherri. She has no business taking about 'womanhood' anyway because she's a self-hating misogynist.

Date: June 30, 2011 02:31PM

That's all well and fine outside the church. Inside the church, womanhood and marriage are DIRECTLY tied.

Ron

Date: June 30, 2011 02:44PM

Yeah I was negated at church because I wasn't married, budding feminist, tomboy, etc.

Posted by: bignevermo ( )
Date: June 30, 2011 03:18PM

i likes me a girl that can wear a ballcap and still look fine! :)
maybe cause i was around co-ed sports alot!! like swimming!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/30/2011 03:18PM by bignevermo.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: June 30, 2011 03:24PM

Sheri is an intelligent, attractive woman. She has a good-paying job. By just about any criterion she's a real catch. Yet in a culture that worships marriage (except for gays) and even commands marriage, she is single. I can only assume it's because she has an unbelievably horrible personality.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/30/2011 03:34PM by baura.

Date: June 30, 2011 03:29PM

Even after I left the cult, I felt bad for Sheri. I thought she wasn't married because she was the victim of the misogyny of the penishood holders who felt threatened by her success. But then I realized that she just might be a bitch.

Posted by: beulahland ( )
Date: June 30, 2011 03:53PM

I suspect she's a lesbian (though I hate to claim her for my team). It would explain the self-hatred, the misogyny, and the lack of a husband.

Posted by: KC ( )
Date: June 30, 2011 04:11PM

and she rented a house with another woman. I was just a kid (10 or so) but I remember some in the ward thought she was gay, and this was in the mid 80's, well before her climb up the corporate lds ranks. She was not very social, and many of the women in our ward were intimidated by her as I remember my mom talking with her friends about her and just remember the tone. I think her roomate was a softball player as well as played on the ward basketball team. Sandy 42nd ward if I remember right, Albury road not too far from the Lahnems.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: July 01, 2011 12:39AM

and my sister was her visiting teacher and also lived on Albury lane (so Sherry Dew wasn't the biggest bitch on the street). In fact, you may be the same age as some of my nephews/neices. My sister used to talk about the Lesbian she visit taught until Sherry was called into the RS presidency, then she disclaimed ever saying that because now she had a claim to fame.

Anyway I went to a young women's thing in that ward with my neice many moons ago and Sherry was the speaker (it was after she had moved, but she came back to the ward for this). Anyway, she claimed the only reason she wasn't married was because no one ever asked her. Yeah, right, like if Joe wierdo, the average penishood holder, asked her, she'd say yes. I know she dated Dallin Oaks during the time between his polygamous wives, so obviously he didn't ask her.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: June 30, 2011 11:07PM

I would add that it's more common than not for older, never-married heterosexual women to also draw this label. Our wider culture likes to put people into neat little boxes, and some of us just never fit the way others think we should.

It can be very difficult for smart, high-powered women to find a suitable partner. I would imagine that it's even harder within Mormonism. That would be my best guess for Sheri.

Posted by: AmIDarkNow? ( )
Date: June 30, 2011 04:02PM

Sheri made disparaging remarks about lesbians in a National venue. Then back at home at a private venue inside the church she reneged just like Hinckley did. "Some of my friends are lesbians".

It is my hope and prayer that this LDS company puppet becomes the 68 wife of the biggest asshat P-holder in the clestial kingdom.

Posted by: Anon455 ( )
Date: June 30, 2011 04:03PM

I believe Sheri Dew is idolized by the women in the church for several reasons:

1) She is the only woman I can remember giving a talk on doctrine in General Conference where she didn't quote all kinds of male leaders;

2) She told women to stand up and be strong, that they/we are warriors for good;

3) She is a totally successful woman, who made it to the presidency of a corporation belonging to a church that hates women;

4) She is the one known single woman who made it to the Relief Society Presidency---thus affirming other single women's worth;

5) Her voice is pleasant to hear, and not "wispy-wispy".

Date: June 30, 2011 04:07PM

I liken her to the one black dude singing the the MoTab Choir. Camera pans all over hell and back until the black dude comes in frame... then it lingers.

Same with Sheri. Parade her out like a fine thoroughbred... best damned filly in the whole church. Albeit not brood mare ready.

Ron

Posted by: Lucky ( )
Date: June 30, 2011 04:17PM

she interviewed Sheri Dew

Posted by: Doug ( )
Date: June 30, 2011 04:29PM

LOL good thread. I've always wondered about Sheri Dew; single General Relief Society president always giving talks about marriage and other shit and the Mormon lemmings don't blink an eye? WTF? Not to mention, isn't she the CEO of Deseret Industries? Working single mother and leader of TSCC Inc? No celestial Kingdom for you!

Posted by: Doug ( )
Date: June 30, 2011 04:51PM

correction: not mother

Posted by: Anon455 ( )
Date: July 18, 2011 08:22PM

No, not Deseret Industries....Deseret BOOKS. She runs all the publishing and retail operations.

Posted by: nevermo ( )
Date: June 30, 2011 06:04PM

some months ago i asked a tbm acquaintance [bishop] if he thought sheri dew was gay, he replied " she may be, but because she has never acted on those impulses she is still a worthy member of the church" i then inquired about her marital status and how it relates to her salvation. he replied " some worthy people never marry but the church still has a place for them in the afterlife" i almost said where, in the telestial kingdom with the rest of us gentiles and apostates ? mormons are so f*cking bizzare.

Posted by: AmIDarkNow? ( )
Date: June 30, 2011 07:24PM

" she may be, but because she has never acted on those impulses she is still a worthy member of the church"

HOW DOES HE KNOW THIS?

Posted by: hapeheretic ( )
Date: June 30, 2011 06:23PM

I, for one, do not like Sheri Dew. I think she is pretty clueless about life in general, but likes to think she's really hip to issues that pose any controversy to the church.

During an interview, she compared gay people to Nazis, or something like that. Hmmmm. Wasn't it Hitler and the Nazis that tried to exterminate homosexuals and forcing them to wear pink triangles to indicate they were gay? All I can say is, Sheri, if you're going to make a statement to the world on behalf of the LDS church, at least do your homework, even if you can't disguise your bigotry against gays.

I actually wrote her a letter in response to her comments; it was not a particularly friendly one. I proposed to her the concept that maybe, as a never-been-married woman over forty, she might just be seen as a lesbian herself.

I do kind of pity her, in spite of that. She's in the middle of a church that makes marriage and motherhood/fatherhood the centerpiece of the doctrine. Also, I've noticed that some of the GA's that have lost their wives didn't cast a glance at here and provide her with a chance at exaltation by becoming a spiritual wife. I thought Gordon B. Hinckley was going to cut her a break.

Guess not.

Posted by: student ( )
Date: June 30, 2011 08:46PM

I reserve the right to out anyone who denegrates LGBT people.

I also agree with the following statement: "Homophobia is insecurity about being heterosexual"

Posted by: think4u ( )
Date: June 30, 2011 08:59PM

No kidding! When we got married in the temple in 1970 we were told to multiply and replenish immediately. NOT to wait "til we had money or education or a descent job or for any reason.

By age 28, I had 5 kids, and was goin' crazy. I loved them to death, but it was in the days when hubbies never helped with the kids, at least most did not, and I got depression and then anxiety and honestly, it was just all pretty overwhelming.

It is rather strange to see her give talks, as an example to mormon women. I am pretty sure she knows nothing of the average mo woman's life, although I notice many young mo couples are not having children near so quickly or so many. The times are a changin'!

However, it is possible she has never had the opportunity to marry and have kids, maybe really did want to, and maybe being past that age now, being in a high profile position for her church kind of makes up for that. I have an aunt died recently at age 85, who never had the experience of being a wife and mom, and it was just sad.

Posted by: Celeste ( )
Date: June 30, 2011 10:53PM

Many of my single, middle aged LDS acquaintances view her as their hero since they finally get a single peer as a church role model. It's actually an argument they've used in an attempt to attract me pack to the church. Fools.

Posted by: cricket ( )
Date: July 02, 2011 12:12PM

www.salamandersociety.com/media/movies/fanclubs/sheri_dew/

Posted by: Shiner Bock ( )
Date: July 02, 2011 12:46PM

Interesting story on this link:

"Prior to her marriage to Elder Russell M. Nelson of the Quorum of the Twelve in April 2006, Sister Nelson was traveling in November 2005 with her close friend, Sheri Dew, a former member of the Relief Society general presidency. They had just participated in a symposium on the Prophet Joseph Smith in New York and arrived at 4:30 a.m. at the Rochester airport to return home.

While walking toward the terminal after having consumed 6 shots of Tequila, the then-Sister Watson fell and severely cut her face. While waiting for help to arrive, Sister Dew took charge, kneeling and praying for her friend that the pain would ease and the bleeding would slow only to be told that Sister Watson was on her Period and that Sister Dew had the wrong end. After standing back for paramedics to apply a bandage, Sister Dew helped her friend to their plane and calmly suggested they phone ahead to Salt Lake City for a plastic surgeon not having to worry about having insurance to cover it like the regular tithe paying serfs.

Later, after surgery, the soon-to-be Sister Nelson was told the seriousness of drinking that much Tequila and how "Sheri was the right person to be with you for a night of great lesbian sex."

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: July 02, 2011 12:43PM

Posted by: Suckafoo ( )
Date: July 18, 2011 10:01PM

My guess is she was not interested in marriage, as it got in the way of her career. I listened to her tapes where she said no one asked her. My guess is she was too busy doing other things.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.