Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Badassadam1 ( )
Date: January 22, 2018 01:55AM

Why do the mormon's think the pyramids or ancient ruins in central america are the civilizations of the BoM. Do the timelines even match-up? Just curious. This has been in my head all day because they are obsessed with going to these ancient places thinking it is from the BoM. Maybe old dog knows if these are actual lamanite civilizations haha just messin old dog.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: January 22, 2018 10:48AM

At one point the Mayan civilization was thought to have started around 600 BC or the time given in the book of mormon.

More recent discoveries push this back to about 750 BC or about 150 years before Lehi.

The Mayan had a writing system, stone cities, art work, advanced engineering and astronomy.

Many people used to feel that the Mayan did not make these advances on their own so they must have received them from the old world. IE Lehi and his family.

It always amazes me when I read that X was invented first in China then moved to Europe or that Y was invented in Arabia and spread around the world as though other people around the world couldn't observe, record and act on science on their own.

Posted by: spiritist ( )
Date: January 22, 2018 09:24PM

Based on my research and review of a number of videos, the Mayan cities are clearly not 'just' Mayan work.

The Mayan structures of placing small rocks together is one thing and clearly what the last civilization to occupy that land did.

However, the precise work of precisely cutting large multi-ton stones, moving and placing them was clearly significantly different technology.

It appears to me and other archeologists in Peru that Mayans just worked around some previous 'advanced civilizations' precision work.

Just to make sure ---- I am definitely not giving any credence to Lamanites or Nephites.

No records have been found to validate who really did the precision work on cutting, moving and fitting the large multi-ton stones in current Mayan cities.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: January 23, 2018 11:29AM

Therefore aliens from outer space did it.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: January 22, 2018 10:57AM

Nothing in the actual timeline of the Americas lines up with anything in the BoM.
Nothing.

https://www.ancient.eu/timeline/Mesoamerica/

Date: January 22, 2018 08:44PM

ificouldhietokolob Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Nothing in the actual timeline of the Americas
> lines up with anything in the BoM.
> Nothing.
>
> https://www.ancient.eu/timeline/Mesoamerica/

This is what i am looking for, good to know.

Posted by: desertman ( )
Date: January 22, 2018 11:11AM

Having done considerable research on central and South America I have come to the conclusion that the indigenous societies that inhabited these areas have no connection whatsoever with the fictitious characters from the Book of Mormon. The possibility that they could have multiplied as rapidly as purported is, in my opinion, genetically impossible. The Mayan pyramids were constructed over long periods of time and not within the framework of BoM. Please note "I M H O!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/22/2018 11:12AM by desertman.

Date: January 22, 2018 08:49PM

desertman Wrote:
> Having done considerable research on central and
> South America I have come to the conclusion that
> the indigenous societies that inhabited these
> areas have no connection whatsoever with the
> fictitious characters from the Book of Mormon. The
> possibility that they could have multiplied as
> rapidly as purported is, in my opinion,
> genetically impossible. The Mayan pyramids were
> constructed over long periods of time and not
> within the framework of BoM. Please note "I M H
> O!!

Gotcha thanks desertman. It's nice to get conclusive evidence against the mormons claims.

Posted by: mightybuffalo ( )
Date: January 22, 2018 12:05PM

I always was curious about this-- then I found something very special that connected the dots.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

There are LDS tour companies that will take mormons to random ruins that look like the tree of life, temples described in the BoM, etc. and they are pretty expensive.

Like everything the MOrmONS are fascinated with, it all revolves around YOUR money.

Date: January 22, 2018 07:51PM

I see, for some reason i forgot about the money part with mormons which is hard to do by the way. This definitely might be the reason for sure, good call on that.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: January 22, 2018 12:28PM

The summer of '67, four of us missionaries went out to Teotihuacan and scrambled up the two main pyramids, the bigger P of the sun, and the P of the moon.

We had recently learned to flip bottle caps, (street urchins possess secrets they don't mind sharing!) and we'd saved up some bottle caps, carried in paper bags, and we flipped them from the apex of each pyramid.

ETA: We didn't get into trouble and didn't feel any guilt. Just another's dumb missionary story.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/22/2018 12:30PM by elderolddog.

Posted by: praydude ( )
Date: January 22, 2018 12:34PM

...Just FYI the Hebrews did not build the pyramids either. None of the old testament story lines up with the evidence.

https://www.usnews.com/science/articles/2010/01/12/egypt-new-find-shows-slaves-didnt-build-pyramids

Date: January 22, 2018 08:52PM

praydude Wrote:
> ...Just FYI the Hebrews did not build the pyramids
> either. None of the old testament story lines up
> with the evidence.
>
> https://www.usnews.com/science/articles/2010/01/12
> /egypt-new-find-shows-slaves-didnt-build-pyramids

Good to know, maybe the greek gods or aliens built them jk.

Date: January 22, 2018 09:15PM

Now it would be nice to find out some document explaining how those large stones were cut and moved into place so well with those 'Egyptian workers'.

Wondering minds want to know.

Date: January 22, 2018 09:30PM

spiritist Wrote:
> Now it would be nice to find out some document
> explaining how those large stones were cut and
> moved into place so well with those 'Egyptian
> workers'.
>
> Wondering minds want to know.

Now you are making me wonder spiritist. Because i have actually been to one of the pyramids in mexico. Machupeechu i think it was called, spelling is probably wrong. But it is an insane building to build for back in the day.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: January 22, 2018 09:37PM

Manchu Picchu is the Incan high altitude place...

What was the landscape like at the one you visited?

Date: January 22, 2018 11:36PM

It was Incan but if you noticed there was a lot of small stone work which was 100% different in technology from the large bottom/side stone work depending on where you are looking.

I am saying the small stone work was accomplished by the last civilization that lived there ---- the Incas.

However, the high technology involved to cut and place the large stones (many tons) from other mountains was the work I am interested in finding out who did.

My bet is that it was 'definitely not' Incan! Just like the pyramids was not really 'Egyptain'! If it was, by some odd chance, where is that technology and precision after that time??? Lost because of 'wickedness'??

I do not doubt there were 'Egyptain workers' on the pyramids at some point like there were Incas also but in both cases the 'technology to cut and move the large stones' was either not those peoples or 'lost somehow'!

My 'belief' was there was an 'advance civilization' on the earth at one point in time and in some cases 'aliens' provided the technology so it was never used and never lost by humans.

But that is not the op direction so just my thoughts!

Date: January 23, 2018 09:05AM

The landscape is pretty hard to describe, but i do remember it was surrounded by trees and then in a small area with no trees was this unique looking pyramid with stairs going up each side and a square block of stone at the top. Very different than the egyption pyramids and a cooler design for sure, a better archetict was used for this one for sure. There were also some stone ruins around it and i do remember a cave with a pool of water with people jumping off a small cliff into it. It was a really cool and unique place i would definitely check it out again one day. I bought a carved panther out of stone and bought a t-shirt too. Fortunately my friend spoke spanish as well. The pyramid is only a small ways from cancun where we were staying.

Date: January 23, 2018 11:34AM

You are right. He is not talking about Peru but near Cancun.

Date: January 23, 2018 01:39PM

elderolddog Wrote:
> Probably Chichen It's a
>
> https://www.google.com/search?q=chichen+itza&clien
> t=tablet-android-samsung&prmd=mivn&source=lnms&tbm
> =isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiFhaX8v-7YAhUGWlMKHS5tCMYQ_A
> UIEigC&biw=1280&bih=800#imgrc=EhTngEEx_ehITM:

That's it, that is what i saw i just got the name wrong.

Date: January 23, 2018 09:23AM

elderolddog Wrote:
> Manchu Picchu is the Incan high altitude place...
>
> What was the landscape like at the one you
> visited?

It's a pretty cool place old dog if you are into seeing the pyramids and ruins of former civilizations. I thought it was pretty d@mn cool and its the only thing like that i have ever seen before. If you are in cancun for any reason i would definitely set aside one day to check this place out. You are a lamanite if i was told correctly so you may connnect with it more than me haha jk. There is a little indian in the blood of the badass, i have a tomahawk under my bed for christ's sakes.

Date: January 22, 2018 08:35PM

paisley70 Wrote:
> http://bizarro.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/Biza
> rro-01-29-17-WEB.jpg

That's pretty good.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: January 22, 2018 07:43PM

Joseph himself said the Pyramids were Nephite. So, what Mormon is going to doubt that? He was the prophet after all!

" . . .So in the 1840s, Mormons, including Smith himself, took notice of a U.S. explorer's best-selling accounts of visits to the ruins of Mayan cities in Mexico and Guatemala. In 1842, as editor of a Mormon newspaper, Smith published excerpts from a book about the ruins of the Mayan city of Palenque in Mexico, with the commentary: "Even the most credulous cannot doubt … these wonderful ruins of Palenque are among the mighty works of the Nephites—and the mystery is solved." ---Quoted from the article on Ferguson by Lizzie Wade.

Mormons have no evidence whatsoever of a the mighty Nephite civilization numbering in the millions. In their desperation they are clinging to the Mayans, Aztecs, and Olmecs. Otherwise they have to admit the truth---They got nuthin'.

Desperate times call for desperate measures.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: January 22, 2018 09:43PM

Precision cutting techniques plus stacking = pyramid.

Posted by: Trails.end ( )
Date: January 23, 2018 08:34AM

Id never guess Mormonism would spawn Olympic events..such as leaping tall logic with a single book...straining at gnats...swallowing camels...it's the only way to make Mormonism work...I too wanted it to be true...but like marrying Marie osmond...it was never meant to be...haha...years later your just glad it was all just a bad dream

Date: January 23, 2018 09:14AM

So many mormons love marie osmond. She is actually on the tv right now trying to sell BodyGym haha to lose weight. She is attractive but very mobotic. Crazy coincidence to read this post and see her on an infomercial at the same time. Sir david the bard was obsessed with marie osmond as well haha.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: January 23, 2018 08:42AM

Just a point of detail: the Incas were NOT ancient - they only ruled for about 150 years before the Spaniards took them out in the 16th century.

They did make great stonework, but they probably did it by rubbing/adapting the stones to fit.

Date: January 23, 2018 09:09AM

Soft Machine Wrote:
> Just a point of detail: the Incas were NOT ancient
> - they only ruled for about 150 years before the
> Spaniards took them out in the 16th century.
>
> They did make great stonework, but they probably
> did it by rubbing/adapting the stones to fit.

So you think the pyramids were built in the 1400's or 1500's AD?

Date: January 23, 2018 09:32AM

Badassadam1 Wrote:
> So you think the pyramids were built in the 1400's
> or 1500's AD?

Tom was addressing the Incas, badass. And the things they build. Not ALL "the pyramids." Various structures were built by different peoples.

"The Inca civilization arose from the highlands of Peru sometime in the early 13th century. Its last stronghold was conquered by the Spanish in 1572.

From 1438 to 1533, the Incas incorporated a large portion of western South America, centered on the Andean Mountains, using conquest and peaceful assimilation, among other methods. At its largest, the empire joined Peru, large parts of modern Ecuador, western and south central Bolivia, northwest Argentina, north and central Chile and a small part of southwest Colombia into a state comparable to the historical empires of Eurasia."

BTW, there's no "high technology" involved in building any of the Meso-American pyramids or other buildings, and aliens didn't build them (or give instructions). How the large stones were cut, shaped, and moved isn't a mystery that requires "aliens" or some advanced civilization we don't know about to solve, how they did it is known and understood, and it wasn't magic.

Date: January 23, 2018 01:44PM

I think i am talking about chichen itza by cancun, i got the two confused. But how did they cut the stones i want to know.

Posted by: Richard the Bad ( )
Date: January 23, 2018 01:58PM

It is my understanding that the stones were cut using, harder, stone tools. Realize that these things did not go up overnight, and many were constructed in several phases over 100's of years.

I'm no Meso-American expert, so others can correct me or shed more light on this.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: January 23, 2018 03:01PM

Once I had a conversation with a senior missionary serving in Cambodia. He said he was convinced that the BoM was true because (and this is weird, even if not totally wrong) Cambodia, Egypt, and South/Central America all had "the same kind of pyramids" all built "at the same time." I was shocked. I told him that there were thousands of years' difference between all of them, and that the Cambodian temples were built only just over a thousand years ago or so, and that all celebrated exceedingly different religions, never related to Judaism or Christianity. He got angry, saying,"Have you seen the Angkor Wat temples?? They're overgrown with trees!" I pointed out that they are located in a tropical forest, where things grow quickly, but were not completely obscured as the South American temples had been. He was so red-faced angry that I had to walk away.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: January 23, 2018 03:16PM

cludgie, it's obvious that his personal revelation far outweighed your facts, logic, and common sense. He was righteously angry that you didn't humble yourself before his further light and knowledge. :-)

Date: January 23, 2018 03:37PM

Angkok Wat: early 12th Century CE, dedicated to Vishnu (later used for Buddhism starting in the late 12th century CE).

Great Pyramid of Giza (also known as the Pyramid of Cheops or Khufu): constructed c. 2560–2540 BCE, tomb for the Egyptian ruler Khufu

Tenochtitlan: Built by the Aztecs c. late 14th Century CE to mid 15th Century CE. There were about 45 public buildings, including: the Templo Mayor, which was dedicated to the Aztec patron deity Huitzilopochtli and the Rain God Tlaloc; the temple of Quetzalcoatl; the tlachtli (ball game court) with the tzompantli or rack of skulls; the Sun Temple, which was dedicated to Tonatiuh; the Eagle's House, which was associated with warriors and the ancient power of rulers; the platforms for the gladiatorial sacrifice; and some minor temples.

Palenque: Built by the Mayans c. late 7th Century CE, included the "Temple of the Inscriptions." The structure was specifically built as the funerary monument for K'inich Janaab' Pakal, ajaw or ruler of Palenque in the 7th century CE.

Teotihuacan: Includes the "Temple of the Sun," built around 200 CE.

Toltec pyramid at Tula: Built by the Toltecs around 950 CE.

That senior missionary was an idiot :)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/23/2018 03:37PM by ificouldhietokolob.

Posted by: Leaving ( )
Date: January 23, 2018 03:53PM

Every ancient South American structure is somehow evidence of the Book of Mormon. Everybody knows that - especially the owners of the Mormon themed travel agencies.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.