Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Anonymous 2 ( )
Date: January 21, 2018 10:03PM

Muslims, Latinos Join Together to Promote Unity with Halal Tacos

https://www.yahoo.com/news/muslims-latinos-join-together-promote-213455368.html

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: January 22, 2018 02:29PM

A fast food commercial? Why is this here?

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: January 22, 2018 05:07PM

It's about the taco di tutti taco!

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: January 22, 2018 08:27PM

I know huh !!!

Posted by: Visitors Welcome ( )
Date: January 24, 2018 05:16PM

Considering that the Arab World is now the world's fattest region after the USA (but ahead of Latin America and Europe), it would have been more praiseworthy if those people had promoted vegan salads together, don't you think?

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: January 24, 2018 06:12PM

Visitors Welcome Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Considering that the Arab World is now the world's
> fattest region after the USA (but ahead of Latin
> America and Europe), it would have been more
> praiseworthy if those people had promoted vegan
> salads together, don't you think?

"Journey of one thousand miles begin with single step."

Laozi (Chinese philosopher, circa 604 BCE - circa 531 BCE)

[A proverb often---and erroneously---attributed to the Chinese philosopher Confucious...

...and very likely later quoted by Honorable Honolulu Homicide Detective Charlie Chan, circa 1930s-1940s.]

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: January 22, 2018 10:31PM

I guess that means you can't have shredded cheese on your taco. Can't mix meat and dairy. Darned shame!

Date: January 22, 2018 10:47PM

catnip Wrote:
> I guess that means you can't have shredded cheese
> on your taco. Can't mix meat and dairy. Darned
> shame!

Nope...there is no prohibition against mixing dairy with meat in Islam, so cheese with meat is fine.

If the taco wagon were kosher instead of halal, it is okay for observant Jews to use non-dairy cheeses (soy-based, almond-based, etc.) with meat.

Date: January 23, 2018 02:06PM

Halal meat is meat made according to the rules of islam, which prohibits sedating animals before slaughtering them.
Halal meat means that the animal was killed by putting a knife in its neck.
Halal meat is not made according to the humane standards we westerners have come to take for granted.
If you consider yourself a liberal, and the wellness of animals means something to you, avoid halal meat as much as you can.
Seriously.

Posted by: Elder What's-his-face ( )
Date: January 23, 2018 02:22PM

Slaughter:
Shechita is the ritual slaughter of mammals and birds according to Jewish law. Dhabihah is the method used to slaughter an animal in Islamic tradition. Shechita requires that an animal be conscious and this is taken to mean the modern practice of electrical, gas, or percussive stunning before slaughter is forbidden. Most Muslim authorities also forbid the use of electrical, gas, or percussive stunning. However, other authorities state that stunning is permissible so long as it is not the direct cause of the animal's death.

Similarities
Both shechita and dhabihah involve cutting across the neck of the animal with a non-serrated blade in one clean attempt in order to sever the main blood vessels.
Both require draining the blood of the animal.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_Islamic_and_Jewish_dietary_laws

Date: January 23, 2018 02:27PM

I'm not saying jewish customs were any better than islamic ones. When it comes to animal rights, both are barbaric.

All religions are a force of retrograde, but for animals, judaism and islam are the worst, and hinduism is a tad more sophisticated. But hinduism is rarely sophisticated in other respects ;)

Date: January 23, 2018 02:44PM

Visitors Welcome Wrote:
> Halal meat is meat made according to the rules of
> islam, which prohibits sedating animals before
> slaughtering them.
> Halal meat means that the animal was killed by
> putting a knife in its neck.
> Halal meat is not made according to the humane
> standards we westerners have come to take for
> granted.
> If you consider yourself a liberal, and the
> wellness of animals means something to you, avoid
> halal meat as much as you can.
> Seriously.

I agree with this...but (for similar reasons) I stopped eating ALL meat about thirty years ago.

An amusing story (at least it was amusing to me when it happened):

When I was in Israel, I was with a tour group of (mostly practicing Orthodox) Jewish Hebrew-school teachers, and all of the food we ate (no matter where in Israel we were) was kosher. The first day of our group tour, because I refused the chicken (etc.) at our introductory dinner, everyone in our group learned that I was vegetarian, so most of the people in our, fairly small, group watched out for me (telling me when something unfamiliar to me actually had meat, or meat fat, in it).

There was one woman, though, who looked at me like I was an alien life form from Mars or something, but since I was also the only convert-to-Judaism in the group, I assumed it was because she came from a fairly restricted Jewish background (she lived and worked in one of the heavily-Orthodox Jewish areas in the New York City area) and had probably never before personally known a convert to Judaism. (I doubt that her group had many, if ANY, converts in it.)

This might well have been true, but as I learned a few days later (when she lectured me) her reaction to me was mostly, at least in HER mind, because I am vegetarian. According to her, I was basically "gaming the [Jewish] system": exempting myself from the many rules and restrictions of observant kashrut living by simply never eating meat.

She really DID think I was something of an insincere convert because, instead of FOLLOWING the rules of kashrut, on a practical basis, I did an end run around most of them by being a vegetarian. She thought that me being vegetarian was unfair to observant Jews who DO, with great sincerity and diligence, "keep kosher."

So far as halal meat goes: We have a fairly significant number of Muslims where I live (which means: we also have a number of halal-certified stores which we pass regularly when we are going about daily life). Every time I pass one of those stores, I wince for the animals whose meat is sold there. It really does bother me (and the same is true for me when I pass kosher meat stores as well---as I understand the butchering process, kosher requirements are at least a LITTLE bit more humane than halal requirements, but maybe not by all that much).

I know that kosher requirements are often cited as one of the (by comparison) "more humane," "good things" about Judaism and Jewish life, but from what I was taught and have read about, I don't see that kosher slaughter requirements are any great improvement (or, perhaps, ANY improvement) over what happens in normal American butchering operations...

...to the point where, had I not been a vegetarian when I became a Jew (in actual fact, I WAS a vegetarian when I became a Jew), I think I would have very strongly entertained the possibility of becoming a vegetarian, strictly on the grounds of humane treatment for meat-producing animals.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/23/2018 03:33PM by Tevai.

Date: January 23, 2018 03:03PM

Tevai Wrote:
> I know that kosher requirements are often cited as
> one of the (by comparison) "more humane," "good
> things" about Judaism and Jewish life, but from
> what I was taught and have read about, I don't see
> that kosher slaughter requirements are any great
> improvement (or, perhaps, ANY improvement) over
> what happens in normal American butchering
> operations...

And if you are used to the strict rules implied by the EU for all things non-kosher and non-halal, it's quite a step back. Perspective is everything, I guess. ;)

Posted by: Homer ( )
Date: January 23, 2018 02:11PM

Mmmmmmmm......taaaacos.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.