Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Crazy horse ( )
Date: January 21, 2018 06:27PM

Have you noticed when you ask missionaries a hard question or any active members they quickly change the subject or do I testify?you ask why is there no evidence for the book of Mormon anywhere?and get just pray about it or we don't know? Mormons are always offended but they knock on your door and do baptism of the dead for anyone they want!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: readwrite ( )
Date: January 21, 2018 08:34PM

They can't see where they're [think they are (supposedly)] going. Blinders or glasses?

Posted by: incognitotoday ( )
Date: January 21, 2018 08:48PM

They are offended because of their doubts that they don’t want you or anyone to talk about. There are many who struggle to believe the magic act. Unfortunately, they are afraid. ‘What if it’s true? What do we do if it’s not?’ Most TBMs are unable to even consider that it’s not true, because it requires them to admit being scammed. That’s a really hard thing to overcome.

Posted by: Badassadam1 ( )
Date: January 25, 2018 04:40AM

This, not only scammed but scammed for a very long time which means a lot of work and counseling to try to be a normal human being again. Most mormons do not have what it takes to become a normal thinking human being again.

Posted by: Crazy horse ( )
Date: January 22, 2018 05:28PM

They don't want people to see the truth! Missionaries or members! Yes yes we love you but give us money!

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: January 22, 2018 05:30PM

How dare you question their testimonies!
They're so offended when you do!

And since everyone who isn't in their ward questions their testimonies...they're always offended.

Posted by: severedpuppetstrings ( )
Date: January 22, 2018 07:26PM

The persecution complex. Always the victims.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: January 22, 2018 10:56PM

was offended. It was more primal than that. I was pissed off.

I had spent hours working on a lesson for RS. The lesson itself, as presented in the handbook, was drier than sawdust. But I looked up other stuff to supplement it, all from other LDS material.

I broke the class up into groups, gave each group a discussion question to answer, and had each group present its conclusion. The class seemed to enjoy it. I felt that I had done a good job.

The RS Pres. came to my house on my day off and ripped me a new one over it.

I think I attended church one more time, after that. I had already been doubting, already hanging out at RfM, so I only needed one more little nudge. The RS Pres was gracious enough (though I couldn't see that at the time) to provide the nudge. More like a boot in the backside, really.

She had the nerve to call and ask me if her criticism was the reason I left. I told her not really, it was more like the final nail in the coffin lid.

In retrospect, I can see that I was rather deeply offended.
AND pissed off.

Posted by: Curelom Joe ( )
Date: January 25, 2018 09:44PM

You tried teaching without dullness, only to receive "reproving betimes with sharpness!"

Not well played, RS president. Not well played at all.

Posted by: isthechurchtrue ( )
Date: January 22, 2018 11:23PM

Just like with politics. Some people just cant handle the truth. Instead of accepting the evidence at face value they say they are offended and / or throw temper tantrums.

Of course that doesnt change the facts. It just shows that they have an emotional issue with what you are saying to them.

Mormons have serious emotional issues when it comes to their religion.

Posted by: scmd not logged in ( )
Date: January 22, 2018 11:36PM

I don't know that they're necessarily offended in such situations as much as they feel awkward because they don't really have good answers to what are sometimes very logical questions.

Some probably are offended because they feel no one has a legitimate right to question what they consider to be absolute and unadulterated truths, but for the most part, they probably feel put on the spot when they don't know how to respond.

Posted by: incognitotoday ( )
Date: January 23, 2018 10:18AM

Because their life is so boring that personal offense is the only interesting part of their day.

Posted by: Jonny the Smoke ( )
Date: January 23, 2018 12:23PM

It's the same way a cheating spouse gets "offended" when the other spouse suspects them of cheating.

It's the same way a drug addict gets "offended" when money goes missing and you ask if they took it.

It's the same way a politician or religious leader gets "offended" when reports of misconduct arise.....only later to be found true.

They know what they are doing and acting offended when its pointed out is how they react to avoid actually dealing with the issue.

Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: January 23, 2018 12:31PM

Mormons tend to associate with a lot of other mormons.

Mormons have a tendency to say some pretty offensive things.

There you go.

Mormons are offensive.

:-)

Posted by: dogblogger ( )
Date: January 23, 2018 12:35PM

It's a power play similar to playing the victim. It makes them right and the rest of us wrong.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: January 23, 2018 12:39PM

They have been trained that logic, facts and science are the very tools of Stan to mess with their blind faith and church-given testimony.

Posted by: forgotmyname ( )
Date: January 23, 2018 12:45PM

Sometimes I think they aren't offended, they are just uncomfortable. And they've been taught that the feeling of discomfort MEANS they've been "offended," and therefore should act as such.

They don't really know how to be anything other than happy and perfect when others are watching.

Posted by: Human ( )
Date: January 23, 2018 01:09PM

forgotmyname Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Sometimes I think they aren't offended, they are
> just uncomfortable. And they've been taught that
> the feeling of discomfort MEANS they've been
> "offended," and therefore should act as such.

Great insight.

Many Mormons are caught in terrible instances of cognitive dissonance. For example, no good person supports Joseph Smith’s philandering with his friends’ wives and children, in context with his times or today. And yet that is a fact of of Joseph Smith’s biography no less factual than his claims to be a prophet of God.

Living life with even just this one instance of cognitive dissonance, and this is only one of many, is bound to make one a tad touchy.

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: January 23, 2018 01:03PM

It is a natural outcome / result of their persecution complex https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78xKLA_CniQ

Posted by: Free Man ( )
Date: January 23, 2018 11:13PM

We all get offended if someone threatens our world, or makes us feel less able to survive, or suggests we work harder or whatever. People don't want to be rejected by the group, as that threatens survival.

Which is why most people are offended if you call them ugly - they fear rejection should that be true. So we all pretend we are perfect and get mad if not so.

Guy at work offended his SIL who is a SJW and marched in the local women's march on Sunday. Marching for equal rights, of course, hoping to become a sewer worker, or whatever else men do.

Meanwhile, her husband works 50 hours a week as an engineer, which he hates, and comes home and cleans the house, because she is gone to her book club or whatever. Her husband is now going to take down Christmas decorations because she doesn't want to.

She works a job about 5 hours a week, and does little else, loving to read instead, while bumming off husband. Then when the irony of marching for women's rights was pointed out to her, she got mad. Doesn't want to make more effort - prefers being a victim, which is easier.

Same in church. Reliance on the church is safer.

Posted by: readwrite ( )
Date: January 24, 2018 12:30PM

They know not what they do?

WAKE UP!

Posted by: eternal1 ( )
Date: January 24, 2018 12:53PM

Wait, I thought the story, according to Mormons, was those who leave the Mormon church are the ones offended, never the Mormons. Cuz, you know, they're righteous, or self/righteous as the case may be.

Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: January 25, 2018 02:14AM

I simply tell them, "Well, I'm offended that you're offended."

That usually shuts them up long enough for me to thank them for calling and then moving on to the next offended person.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/25/2018 03:36AM by steve benson.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: January 25, 2018 03:23AM

Mormonism encourages narcissistic behavior. I mean, how dare you question them or disagree or criticize? They are always told how special and chosen they are while at the same time being told they are unworthy. It's a prescription for insecurity. To challenge them further is highly offensive ... to them.

Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: January 25, 2018 03:46AM

Matthew 18:9:

"And if thine eye offend thee, pluck it out, and cast it from thee: it is better for thee to enter into life with one eye, rather than having two eyes to be cast into hell fire."

If offended Mormons were faithfully obeying Jesus' admonition to gouge out their own offensive eyeballs, then they wouldn't be able to see other people offending them.

Problem solved, as they deal with being offended, one personal eyeball at a time.

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 01/25/2018 04:02AM by steve benson.

Posted by: laughing in provo ( )
Date: January 25, 2018 09:03AM

missionaries dont know anything about the church or the gospel. they are to young and have never been taught anything at church worth knowing. so they fall back to what they think is their only defense, a testimony. they witness to the light they have but are pretty much in the dark. for the most part they are good kids who think they are doing the right thing.

Posted by: anonymousbaby ( )
Date: January 25, 2018 04:45PM

I had mormons tell me that they unfollowed me on facebook because occasionally I post a meme on Facebook that has the "F" word in it. Also, they I have had them get offended at green tea ice cream or German liqueur cake where the liqueur had long cooked out.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.