Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Badassadam1 ( )
Date: January 21, 2018 02:45PM

fuck for tomorrow's surgery. Never had an actual surgery on my spine before. It's totally different than a surgery on the foot or something. Anybody have good results or bad experiences afterwards? Fuck i am nervous.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: julianna ( )
Date: January 21, 2018 02:55PM

I know you are having surgery on a different part of your back, but I had the XLIF procedure for spinal fusion of L4 and L5 done this past June. It went very well and I have no regrets. The worst part for me was having to wear a back brace for 6 weeks during the hottest part of summer. After 12 weeks all limitations were lifted and I was back to normal activities.

Date: January 21, 2018 03:28PM

julianna Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I know you are having surgery on a different part
> of your back, but I had the XLIF procedure for
> spinal fusion of L4 and L5 done this past June.
> It went very well and I have no regrets. The
> worst part for me was having to wear a back brace
> for 6 weeks during the hottest part of summer.
> After 12 weeks all limitations were lifted and I
> was back to normal activities.

So i assume your pain decreased signicantly as well? I was highly recommended to not do a fusion so i am getting the disc replacement at level C6/C7 instead.

Posted by: julianna ( )
Date: January 21, 2018 04:07PM

Yes, my pain has decreased to where it only aches a little bit if I overdo it. Even then, I don’t require any pain medication for it. I wasn’t offered a disc replacement because I had more than just a ruptured disc. I also had severe stenosis and Spondylolisthesis. It was a very big surgery. I was completely off of the narcotic pain killers in less than two weeks, which was considered fast by my surgeon.
I do agree with what catnip said about that first night after surgery. There was that momentary ‘what the hell did I just do’ moment. But in the end, I am very pleased.

Date: January 21, 2018 09:03PM

Well that gives me a lot of hope. And thanks for warning me about the oh shit moment. Hope this goes smoothe.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: January 21, 2018 03:01PM

nearly everything else.

My experience, in a nutshell, has been that on the first night after surgery, I cry quietly into my pillow, wondering what the He!! I have gotten myself into.

After that, as the post-op pain decreases and function increases,things have invariably gotten better.

Be gentle with yourself, and please keep us posted as you are able to. From what you have told us, it sounds like this one will be a huge step forward.

Date: January 21, 2018 03:24PM

If it works it will be.

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: January 21, 2018 03:40PM

I was going to start a thread for you, but you beat me.

Badass, I’m sending you the best throughts, vibes, or anything else I can that lets who know how much I love and care about you. Modern surgery can do wonders to fix things. I’m hoping that your surgery goes very well, that it eliminates pain, and that this is a big step toward giving you freedom and a pain-free life.

Your friendship is a gift for me here on RfM. Your posts touch my heart, and I see a wonderful man just getting ready to burst out of hurt and confinement.

It’s very natural to be worried and concerned, I would be too. But, you’ve got highly trained medical folk who realky want you to get better and who care about making sure your surgery goes the best it can.

There’s something that came through in your last video, Badass, you’re a very gentle and kind man. Your other attributes of honesty, honor, and loyalty are there too, but my friend, the Badass, is quality stuff. Gentleness and kindness bring strength. Strength is what you need for healing.

Tomorrow, Bro, it will be over with. The worst part of surgery is the anticipation. I wish I could say something more to make the worry go away. I’m being serious here as a way of showing you the deep respect I feel for you.

After you’re feeling better, we’re going to pick up the earthiness, cussing, and just being guys stuff.

I love you, Adam, my deepest hope for an unremarkable surgery that alleviates pain and brings healing. I’m proud to be your friend! The Boner.

Date: January 21, 2018 09:15PM

Thanks boner, you and i both know how pivotel this surgery is for me. A better life may be waiting for me after it is all said and done. I never thought of gentleness as a trait of mine. I hide the anger within extremely well with my i don't care about anything attitude. But i think you are right, once all the pain issues are out of the way i may be a descent human being which i have been guessing may be true this whole time. The cult makes me feel like a bad guy so i still have to steer clear of it. If i ever go around those mormons willingly i am just playing into their game so i still have to be smart even if i can get out of pain totally. My recovery is both physical and mental and i need to remember that. I want to become a solid individual that is authentic in the end. Everything else will fall into place if i can be myself again. I don't know i hope this surgery works that's all i care about. I have a great life ahead if i can resolve all these issues i think. I do this for glory boner, i do this for glory.

Posted by: Paintingnotlogged ( )
Date: January 21, 2018 05:04PM

I awoke after a surgery missed pain pill stood and walked alone and all it felt was hot across the bandage. Before the surgery had been an agony no pain pill would touch as,a mass ruptured internal bleeding nerves etc . No pain meds would fix it so I painted another wall in the kitchen while I waited for the upcoming scheduled event to get the identified instead iif emergency and random on call surgeon. I painted scherwin Williams 3.00 gallon of bright mis tint paint as high as I could reach and watched the bright colors paint over the shadows thrown by the light through the dark night. But then I separated from the pain state surrounded with sound let my kids have a sleep over while I painted. It's like putting layers on it anchored into first the paint ,second the kids sound laughing watching movie, moving yet theres pain. Maybe breathing shallowly perhaps bronchial constricting needing inhaler is an indicator of pain too great to hear hold in front.

When I wasn't given pain meds 10 am day after large incision it just felt hot in that bandaged spot, so I stood and walked to get a drink of water. The nurse was hellacious. Unavailable. Spouse at work, kids too young I thought to be exposed. Had visiting teacher and or a neighbo r kerrp them in summer school rides and routine all week /hadn't the children's own tumor surgeries been enough for them was,my reasoning . My adopted mom was being treated for her own cancer the extact day driving herself home & trying t o keep her ,ag well from being tested for contaminants coul dnt afford carcinigen s listed making an un saleable land.

But Adam the untreated pain was less sans pain relievers between doses 16/20 hours after surgery than fully medicated max dose before surgery.

It wasn't a neck or spine. Next time I want to create an internal agreement about what to dissociate, kind of like a sculpture so I don't just numb random parts of my life or cancel creative skills lijje drawing or playing numbers games when I'm in pain. I heard that pain was inevitable eventually like knees or hip feel s something when you move. It's very disapoi ting, I thought it'd be moving like Gumby the action figure or something, no it all this hurting. It's still surprising isn't it?

Its phenomenal success how articulate communicative, questing, wondering with curiosity despite life's pain you have been have become. Wow and problem solving. Best success with your surgery Adam! You may not believe me but disociating physical pain is not entirely desirable, something else is always put aside when it's an automatic survival technique /prevents physical damage from being identified and repaired...such as your neck surgery. You Found a problem, felt it, so you could identify it, want to fix it so off you went to find an expert for repair.

That's empowerment.

Date: January 21, 2018 09:19PM

I used to disassociate pretty bad in the past.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: January 21, 2018 05:12PM

I haven't had that kind of surgery Wish I could offer more help. Hope it goes perfectly for you and your recovery is better than anyone expects.

Last time I had a scary surgery a nice nurse said, "Expect the best and prepare for the worst." I don't quite know why that comforted me and gave me the courage I needed.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: January 21, 2018 05:21PM

The pain he had before was much more significant than any pain he had afterwards. He was doing well within a day or 2. Just don't overdo it.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: January 21, 2018 05:22PM

Take things one day at a time.

The first day you'll be mostly out from the anesthesia. Go with it. Soon enough you'll be reaching for your Tylenol or whatever the doctor orders for you during recovery.

You will need lots of rest and relaxation. Enjoy the time that there really isn't anything else for you to do but to heal from the surgery.

Rest up tonight; meditate if you don't pray, and try to feel centered and focused on your wellness as in getting better.

This is your time to be doing that. Work on healing, taking care of yourself, being kind to yourself, and those around you because they are your caretakers.

Posted by: angela ( )
Date: January 21, 2018 09:17PM

Sending good thoughts.

AND DO EXACTLY WHAT THEY TELL YOU. DO NOT OVER DO.

Date: January 21, 2018 09:22PM

I have to stay overnight for this one. I am not happy about that and it adds to my nervousness for sure.

Posted by: Not logged in ( )
Date: January 21, 2018 09:28PM

I have had ten back surgeries. Multiple discs before a fusion, discs above the fusion, myelomenigocoele (cyst on spone after fusion) and needed every one of them. All helpful and all relieved pain or a problem. Continued with my career, still run, lift weights and officiate huh school football. Garden, dig, move stone and plant bushes and trees

Advice?

1. Follow your rehab and limitations post surgery to the letter.
2. Use non-narcotic pain meds post op. You don’t need another problem
3. Eventually begin spinal musculature training to strengthen the muscle support of the area of your spine where you have the problem
4. Do not go beyond your ost op limits. You may be a badass but don’t be a dumb ass

Gatorman

Date: January 21, 2018 10:57PM

I am a wreckless dumbass sometimes but not as bad as i used to be. Thanks for the advice.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: January 21, 2018 10:26PM

Good luck, Adam.

Here's what helped me. I set my mind as if I'm looking back on the whole thing--and then suddenly I'm looking back on it!

Also remember, you have one chance to heal correctly.

Date: January 21, 2018 10:58PM

Hmmm that is a very interesting strategy to look back on it before it happens. Maybe i will try that.

Posted by: deja vue ( )
Date: January 21, 2018 11:06PM

You may want to check out "Whole Body Vibration". Book is on Amazon.

Posted by: harbinger ( )
Date: January 22, 2018 02:34AM

I had a spinal fusion, triple laminectomy, and bone grafts seven months ago. I was terrified.

I'm one of the lucky ones. I have had NO MORE NERVE PAIN since I woke up after surgery. The absence of pain is a beautiful thing, my friend!!

It will take two years for the bone grafts to be completely healed, but I was back teaching limited dance classes in 10 weeks. I'm hiking, performing, doing just about everything I used to but I still avoid twisting, heavy lifting, and bending for now. Ice 4 times a day and 60+ minutes of walking every day - doctor's orders.

I can't stress enough that you'll need to do everything your doctor tells you to do during recovery. Recovery is a lot of work! Eat well, let other people do things for you, and protect your healing back. Rest more than you think you should.

Gatorman has excellent advice above. It's easy to overdo - don't. Best of luck! I hope your outcome will be as good as mine.

Date: January 22, 2018 09:40AM

Holy sh#t i would be scared too if i was getting all that done. Glad it worked out for you, i have to leave for the hospital in about an hour here. Hope it goes as well as yours did. Getting one disc replaced and taking care of the bone spurs around it.

Posted by: Mother Who Knows ( )
Date: January 22, 2018 03:34AM

If there is a God, he works through doctors and nurses. You will be fine. You are young, and you will heal fast.

My oldest brother had neck surgery when he was 60, and he came through it just fine, and was able to play tennis again, and hike with me, and all that fun stuff. Looking back, his surgery was just a small blip in time, compared to all the fun he was able to have, afterwards.

We on RFM will be waiting for you to post, again, to return and report. Our positive energy is here, buoying you up!

Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: January 22, 2018 07:51AM

Date: January 22, 2018 09:42AM

steve benson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> n/t

Haha well said, weeell said and i leave on that note haha.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.