Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: summer ( )
Date: January 21, 2018 09:51AM

I'm going to resurrect this old thread for the sake of our newer board members. SLDrone is a longtime board member who was a former LDS bishop and mission president. This thread represents his informed analysis that temple construction is all about the money --

"LISTEN AND LISTEN GOOD,

THE MAIN PURPOSE OF THE TEMPLE IS AS A REVENUE GENERATOR.

I have personally seen the computer matrix analyzing increased revenues from temple districts where new temples are constructed. Even the grandeur of these temples is determined by a cost benefit analysis. It is evil genius. In areas where temples don't exist, tithing participation is very low. In areas were temple attendance and temple events such as weddings are common, tithing adherence is much higher. Tithing is the NUMBER ONE issue that keeps individuals from being able to get a temple recommend. IT'S ENTIRELY ABOUT THE MONEY."

Read the link for his entire post:

http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,113434,113467

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: paisley70 ( )
Date: January 21, 2018 05:50PM

Great, great, great, thread resurrection summer! Oft times these postings don't get enough screentime due to lively banter on other threads.(Although banter is great, BTW!)

Anyways, in connection with this thread, I have to speak up about a persistent idea that is somewhat related.

For those of you that have your vices, ie: WofW vices, how much do you spend per month on your vices? Don't answer! Could it possibly be close to 10% of your income in some cases?

Do you think that the church realized that if they made your compliance to the Word of Wisdom mandatory for temple attendance, that tithing revenue might increase? Meaning they get your 10% discretionary spending versus you enjoying it on yourself?

Ditto for telling you that you have to sit on your ass all Sunday reading scriptures instead of taking your children out to DQ for some ice-cream?

I may be treating the topic too simply and you may regard my words as axiomatic, but if you have more money in your pocket, either from the lack of indulgence in your (wanna-be) vices or from sitting on your ass all Sunday, then the likelihood of you being able to pay a full tithe exponentially increases in proportion to your compliance to their requirements for temple entry!

I think that they figured out the formula long ago on how to generate cash over and over again. In so doing, they had to sacrifice the distilleries that Brigham Young established in SLC long ago, but hey, instead of you buying booze, the money landed in their pockets! It's a fair trade-off for them. Haha.

Posted by: readwrite ( )
Date: January 21, 2018 09:03PM

It's just thinking 'regeneration'

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: January 21, 2018 10:20PM

Posts like this are great for newbies and lurkers!

I hope my son is reading here.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.