Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: paisley70 ( )
Date: January 17, 2018 12:14AM

If you ever wondered how easy it was for Joseph Smith to prey on his victims, watch the video below. It doesn't take much creativity to prey on people.

https://vimeo.com/46045821

This is a Darren Brown special from 2005. You can read about it on this wiki page before watching.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Messiah_(Derren_Brown_special)

"Messiah is a Derren Brown special originally shown on Channel 4 on 7 January 2005 at 21:00. In the episode, Brown travels to the United States to try to convince five influential figures that he has special abilities in their particular field of expertise: psychic powers, Christian evangelism, New Age theories, alien abduction and contacting the dead, with the objective of getting them to endorse him as a practitioner in their field."

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: moehoward ( )
Date: January 17, 2018 06:26PM

For more proof, check out Ernest Angley. This guy has been around for ever and he's a tool.

Posted by: incognitotoday ( )
Date: January 17, 2018 06:45PM

L Ron Hubbard. David Karesh. Jim Jones. Joseph Smith. Russel M Nelson. Jeffrey Holland. Dallin Hoax. Your bishop. Your stake president. Your boss...

Posted by: xxMMMooo ( )
Date: January 17, 2018 08:18PM

Smith, LRH, Koresh, Jones had charisma ... it takes something special to get something started and off the ground. The successors (if any) are usually successively-diminishing-charisma bureaucrats and placeholders, though I'd say Brigham Young was an exception to that rule.

Nobody idolizes Joseph III, David Miscavige, and that ilk ... it's pathetic that anyone would idolize the current LDS leadership. No vision there whatsoever.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: January 18, 2018 10:15AM

Not entirely true about Miscavige, as I have a former school friend who idolizes him, but I agree that this is more a comment on his sanity than on the charisma of the nasty little person in question.

Tom in Paris

Posted by: xxMMMooo ( )
Date: January 17, 2018 07:22PM

Date: January 17, 2018 08:04PM

Oh. Wow. You choose your persona and then you become it. Just like JS.

Posted by: Eric K ( )
Date: January 17, 2018 09:46PM

One of the top guys on my list of charlatans is Peter Popoff. He promotes miracle spring water that will cure your debts, enrich your health, etc.
It now comes in a new larger size! It is a packet of water similar to a single serving of ketchup or mustard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGuawSq6zDA

This guy has a 4 million dollar home in California. When I have seen his commercials on late night TV they appear to be parodies, but they are real and people send him money. He was revealed as a faith healer using a hidden ear piece and having associates mingle in the crowds of folks wishing to be healed. He associates would feed him info and he would appear to be prophetic. He switched his con to miracle spring water after being exposed. His con continues.

Date: January 18, 2018 12:58AM

Well, I'll have to add my aunt and her partner to the list as well, for their "cure-all" water.

http://www.hexahedron999.com/

Posted by: Backseater ( )
Date: January 18, 2018 09:35AM

It's a fundamental principle in televangelism, politics, and other fields:

"If you can get people scared, they will send you money."

Posted by: Anonymous 2 ( )
Date: January 18, 2018 03:15PM

Wasn't P. T. Barnum one!??

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.