Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: GC ( )
Date: January 16, 2018 03:05PM

..... to second counselor is a first in more than 50 years, so also quite a news story.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: subeamnotlogedin ( )
Date: January 16, 2018 06:52PM

Interesting stuff for sure.

https://www.lds.org/?lang=eng

Posted by: subeamnotlogedin ( )
Date: January 16, 2018 06:53PM

President Uchtdorf, who has resumed his place in the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles, “has already received major assignments for which he is uniquely qualified.”

Posted by: East Coast Exmo ( )
Date: January 16, 2018 06:58PM

I'm sure he wanted to spend more time with his family.

Posted by: Elyse ( )
Date: January 17, 2018 12:38PM

Jah, Dieter. Now go and fix Europe.

Posted by: Particles of Faith ( )
Date: January 18, 2018 07:39AM

Maybe he gets to fly the first Presidency around on their travels.

Date: January 16, 2018 07:56PM

Dieter looked deprssed at announcement today.

Posted by: StillAnon ( )
Date: January 16, 2018 08:03PM

With Trump in charge, they needed an American in that position. Never mind that right wing Germans really support Trump too.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: January 17, 2018 12:11AM

Dieter was the only leader with any kind of charisma. I personally find his shtick to be weak, but these other guys make him look like a suave lounge lizard. Maybe that's what the Mormon leaders fear, a German takeover by the guy who makes moronic Mormon women swoon.

Right back to the gerontocracy they go. They put the magical Abra Cadaver in the captain's seat. The other two are like goldfish surface-breathing in a bowl of stale water.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/17/2018 12:12AM by donbagley.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: January 17, 2018 02:22PM

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: January 17, 2018 12:22AM

Oaks has seniority on Eyring so makes sense to move him over. However.....they could have kept Dieter as a third counselor.

Posted by: Elder What's-his-face ( )
Date: January 17, 2018 07:42AM

..."a third counselor."

A.K.A. Quorum Secretary. :)

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: January 17, 2018 08:08AM

It was a slap in the face to any Mormons who hoped the church would try to address its many problems. At least Dieter tried, and the 12 took great offense at this. That’s what he gets for thinking there was some common decency in these men.

The appointment of Oaks was a big “fuck you” to the growing acceptance of LGBT people within the church. Which kind of makes sense, because who have they got left to demonize? Without enemies, people would think. Those who think, leave.

Posted by: I don’t know ( )
Date: January 17, 2018 02:16PM

He may have tried for a time, but it seems he gave up on that a while ago... or was told to fall in line.

Posted by: Dennis Moore nli ( )
Date: January 17, 2018 09:34AM

"New First Presidency Announced to The World"

Yeah, like the rest of "the world" gives a flying f*ck who or what they are.

Move along sheeple, nothing to see here.

-Dennis

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: January 17, 2018 04:13PM

I'm sure the entire thing was broadcast on that giant screen in
Times Square. And billions in Europe, and Asia, and Africa set
their alarms so they'd not miss it live.

Oh, and the British paper THE SUN had it on page 3.

Posted by: afraid of mormons ( )
Date: January 17, 2018 05:14PM

Exactly, Baura! World-wide broadcast...in 29 languages! The whole thing is staged in front of gigantic heroic-proportioned mural of JESUS CHRIST. Everyone stands when the president of LDS, Inc. walks into the room, and all is silent, and reverent, while the Big 3 shine their smiles around the room, for photo ops. IMO, their grins are too broad, considering the recent death of Monson.

I just have to say, my Don Bagley quote for this month:

"Right back to the gerontocracy they go. They put the magical Abra Cadaver in the captain's seat. The other two are like goldfish surface-breathing in a bowl of stale water."

Posted by: lilburne ( )
Date: January 17, 2018 09:45AM

I wonder how much moism would change if all of the Asspo's older than Uchtdorf died in a plane crash making Uchtdorf Commander In Chief?

Would he carry to existing party line or would we see a real shake up? Would Church Head Quarters move to Germany? Africa even, i mean is he really that different to the rest?

Date: January 17, 2018 10:01AM

If Holland were to die, Dieter's chances of being commander-in-chief are very good.

Posted by: angela ( )
Date: January 17, 2018 01:01PM

GC Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If Holland were to die, Dieter's chances of being
> commander-in-chief are very good.

Having had a brief, but real, acquaintance with he and his wife while I was at BYU, I thought he looked so unhappy or worn down. He used to have such a happy and shiny glow about him.

He looks beaten up and beaten down, now.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/17/2018 01:01PM by angela.

Posted by: C2NR ( )
Date: January 17, 2018 05:29PM

I remember reading somewhere that Hugh B. Brown was the only First Presidency counselor to not be retained with a changing of the guard. If so, that would make Uchtdorf the second.

Michael Quinn's recent book mentions that there is only on instance of the 1st counselor being demoted to the 2nd counselor, but I can't remember who that was.

Posted by: Louis E. ( )
Date: January 17, 2018 07:54PM

In 1877,Brigham Young died,and his 1st and 2nd Counselors (his son John and Daniel Hanmer Wells) were made "counselors to the twelve apostles" but never served in the First Presidency again.

Taylor,Woodruff,and Snow each picked George Q. Cannon as 1st Counselor and Joseph F. Smith (Sr.) as 2nd Counselor...both had been additional/assistant counselors in Young's later years.

When Cannon died in April 1901,Snow had Smith sustained as 1st Counselor and Rudger Clawson as 2nd Counselor in October but then died days later,and Smith,as new President,chose John R. Winder (a counselor in the Presiding Bishopric) as 1st Counselor and Anthon H. Lund as 2nd Counselor.Clawson was Acting President of the Twelve from 1918 (Lund,1st Counselor,was President) and President from 1921(on Lund's death) but never served in the First Presidency again.

George Albert Smith kept Grant's last Counselors (Clark & McKay) but when McKay succeeded he moved Clark down to 2nd with Stephen L Richards as 1st Counselor.Clark became 1st Counselor again when Richards died in 1959.

When McKay died,2nd Counselor Nathan Eldon Tanner was kept,but additional counselors Isaacson and Dyer were released and Hugh B. Brown was replaced as 1st Counselor by Harold B. Lee.

Lee & Kimball each started with Tanner & Romney as Counselors but when Kimball died,Tanner having died already and Hinckley having effectively become the active 1st Presidency because of Kimball's and Romney's illnesses,Romney was released to become President of the Twelve (with Hunter as Acting President) and Hinckley moved to 1st Counselor to Benson with Monson 2nd.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: January 17, 2018 08:17PM

much ado about nothing.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.