Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: tamboruco ( )
Date: January 16, 2018 11:08AM

And there you have it folks - no surprises.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: jan ( )
Date: January 16, 2018 11:56AM

So was that a real slap in the face to Uchdorf?

Posted by: Whiskeytango ( )
Date: January 16, 2018 12:16PM

No. He is still in the club.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: January 16, 2018 12:06PM

Expect the church to be more outspoken on issues that are "attacking" religious liberty and traditional marriage. They probably determined that Uchtdorf was too gentle as a leader. It's a shame that Bednar didn't make it.

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: January 16, 2018 12:33PM

I can understand Oaks, because he looks like Yul Brynner, but Eyring looks nothing like Charlton Heston.

Posted by: tamboruco ( )
Date: January 16, 2018 12:59PM

Wow - interesting press conference. I am guessing several things: 1- Nelson is 'prepping' Oaks to take the reigns and keeping Eyring around to help with all the 'procedural' items. Oaks is next up to bat and he needs training. This has to be somewhat hurtful to Dieter. These dudes come across as 'acting in unison' and under the guidance of Jesus himself but there is a back story to everything as we all know. Dieter sat stoically through the ordeal as if he were a statue. It has been my thought all along that Dieter got into church leadership because of Tom Monson and the relationship the two forged while getting the Freiburg Temple built. If it wasn't for that Dieter would still be in Germany with his beloved Harriet.

2- Oaks is the attorney and perhaps could be described as the 'attack dog'. That was sure clear today when he responded to questions about gays, women in the church and problems with church history that are leading members into apostasy.

3- Eyring is likely in poorer health that they let on. At the beginning of the press conference he had a blank stare with his mouth half open. Wowza! I think Eyring must feel the pinch too - he's still #2 and not #1.

All interesting but as Rhett said to Scarlet - "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn"!

Posted by: angela ( )
Date: January 16, 2018 01:01PM

tamboruco Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Wow - interesting press conference. I am guessing
> several things: 1- Nelson is 'prepping' Oaks to
> take the reigns and keeping Eyring around to help
> with all the 'procedural' items. Oaks is next up
> to bat and he needs training. This has to be
> somewhat hurtful to Dieter. These dudes come
> across as 'acting in unison' and under the
> guidance of Jesus himself but there is a back
> story to everything as we all know. Dieter sat
> stoically through the ordeal as if he were a
> statue. It has been my thought all along that
> Dieter got into church leadership because of Tom
> Monson and the relationship the two forged while
> getting the Freiburg Temple built. If it wasn't
> for that Dieter would still be in Germany with his
> beloved Harriet.
>
> 2- Oaks is the attorney and perhaps could be
> described as the 'attack dog'. That was sure clear
> today when he responded to questions about gays,
> women in the church and problems with church
> history that are leading members into apostasy.
>
> 3- Eyring is likely in poorer health that they let
> on. At the beginning of the press conference he
> had a blank stare with his mouth half open. Wowza!
> I think Eyring must feel the pinch too - he's
> still #2 and not #1.
>
> All interesting but as Rhett said to Scarlet -
> "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn"!

You pretty much sum up my thoughts.
This presidency is to get Oaks ready.

Posted by: snowball ( )
Date: January 16, 2018 01:11PM

Maybe they think the world is going their way a bit, and that they don't need the moderating non-American in the spotlight.

Or maybe they suspect, as I do, that DFU is on the payroll of German intelligence. (I have no evidence for this--just a hunch)

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: January 16, 2018 05:04PM

...what happens when the faitful in Africa and Latin America also discover that no one who looks like they do will ever become one of the Holy Twelve...

Posted by: sunbeep ( )
Date: January 16, 2018 05:22PM

And, here they are folks. Be prepared to see more of them.

http://www.stgeorgeutah.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/First-Presidency1061-2018-copy-970x546.jpg

And, here is how it happened:

https://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townnews.com/heraldcourier.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/0/ed/0eda353b-dcf5-559a-89bf-423e1cc7e519/5a504e86af291.image.jpg?resize=1200%2C790

What you can't see is Oaks palming off a $fifty spot to Russell in hopes of being picked. Eyring has just palmed him a cool hundred. Holland gave him a coupon for buy-one-get-one-half-off in the temple cafeteria, and Bednar simply shook his hand and slipped him a colored marble.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/16/2018 05:30PM by sunbeep.

Posted by: amiable ( )
Date: January 16, 2018 05:32PM

Oh my dear god. They are terrifying.

Posted by: Secular Priest ( )
Date: January 16, 2018 06:31PM

Especially about the marble!! They do this at graduation at the college. As they come on stage to get their stuff, each person puts a marble in a jar!!!!

I have tears in my eyes from laughing.

Posted by: op47 ( )
Date: January 16, 2018 05:28PM

Is Nelson's catchphrase going to be: The church expects that every man will do his duty.

Posted by: greensmythe ( )
Date: January 16, 2018 05:50PM

Well this is a pretty folically challenged FP but next to Oaks and Eyring, Nelson is actually out front when it comes to hair. Maybe Uchtdorf's gorgeous mane did too much to divert attention so he's out.

Posted by: Longtimeago ( )
Date: January 16, 2018 06:45PM

Sorry, but I have to chime in here. I follow this board a lot but never really contribute, but this time the "spirit" moved me.
OAKS is an asshole! I was at BYU under him. I was involved in the Entertainment Division. It was the middle of June and I was home for the summer when I get a call from one of the Entertainment Division directors asking if I could be in SLC the next day to perform for a dinner that Oaks was speaking at. It was a last minute request. I drive three hours to SLC went thru
a quick rehearsal and then went back stage with the rest of the group (all of which had give up at least two days to be there)
We did the show the audience loved it and gave us a standing ovation. Then Oaks got up to speak. He never said a word about the performance, he just pointed me out personally and told me in
front of the entire audience that "I would be getting a hair cut
before returning to BYU in the fall"! I was humiliated beyond belief, still am after 30 years! I lost all respect for that man and quit the church as soon as I could. Now you say he's in line to be the church leader some day? OMG! This is a man
who will be best friends with Trump. God help us all.

Posted by: anonyXMo ( )
Date: January 16, 2018 06:53PM

Was it said like a joke? Did the audience chuckle?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.