Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: cricket ( )
Date: January 16, 2018 10:39AM

I will be there to support Sam so please come and join the force for good!

https://invisiblescubit.wordpress.com/2018/01/13/news-conference-its-time-to-roar-for-the-children/

News Release–Protect LDS Children
When: January 18, 2018 10am

What: News conference

Where: 50 West Club & Café located at 50 W. Broadway in Salt Lake City.

Event: Protect LDS Children

Current status of the Petition: Protect the Children—Stop Sexually Explicit Interviews of Mormon Youth.
Large collection of survivor stories.
Announcement of the March-for-the-Children to deliver the petition to the Church Office Building.
Three speakers will be on the podium:

Sam Young, concerned father, former Mormon bishop, petition organizer;
Joelle Casteix, sex abuse victims’ advocate, Western Regional Director of SNAP, the Survivors Network;
Natasha Helfer Parker, a certified sex therapist and licensed marriage & family therapist.
For decades, it has been common place for a significant number of LDS Bishops to pose questions of a sexual nature to children, all alone, behind closed doors. This practice has caused incalculable damage to our children.

The consequences range from childhood self-loathing all the way to sexual abuse and suicide. The goal of Protect-LDS-Children is to bring a halt to these dangerous and damaging interviews.

The petition has now garnered well over 10,000 signatures. 5,000 of the signers are from Utah. Many of them are active LDS members.

To date more than 1,000 survivor stories have been collected. They recount horrifying and heartrending interviews, the accompanying trauma and the lasting damage. All of this has been done to our children behind closed doors of bishop’s offices.

The time has come to bring this practice to an immediate stop. How this will be accomplished will be a central part of the news conference message.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: January 16, 2018 11:58AM

I sure wish I could be there to support Sam in this effort. I am so happy about this petition. I still need to write my story for him, but it's very raw right now with all that's in the news and family situations I'm dealing with. But I'm standing with this effort in ways that I can right now. Empower women. In the home, in the work place, in the church. In mormondumb it's more than just misogyny and power struggles. It's patriarchal abuse. It's sexual abuse and rampant incest masquerading as priesthood authority.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: January 16, 2018 08:52PM

Great cause!

Posted by: subeamnotlogedin ( )
Date: January 16, 2018 10:04PM

I have signed the petition, he has my support.

Posted by: tutu ( )
Date: January 17, 2018 08:52AM

Posted by: Topper ( )
Date: January 17, 2018 09:22PM

Posted by: readwrite ( )
Date: January 18, 2018 03:46AM

Who else went?

Or where there just crickets?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.